all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Double Kettlebell Press

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kozushi

Level 7 Valued Member
I didn't see the double press in either SFG programmes. I've been doing this press recently, but is it not recommended by Strongfirst?

In the SFG I Certification Course the single arm press is tested not the double so maybe that is why.

I believe it is covered in SFG II

as far as I know its "recommended".

Double press on brother!

Yes, single press is the taught and tested skill at SFG I, and SFG II has double push press and double jerk, but not double press. You might still DO them at either cert like in the practices and in the grad workout, but the regular double press is not a taught and tested skill.

I think it's safe to say that if you can do a good single, you can do doubles, as the singles actually require more skill and technique.

As far as I know, yes, it's still recommended, and a good movement... but as far as cert goes, the skills within it are pretty much covered by all of the others.

Yes, single press is the taught and tested skill at SFG I, and SFG II has double push press and double jerk, but not double press. You might still DO them at either cert like in the practices and in the grad workout, but the regular double press is not a taught and tested skill.

I think it's safe to say that if you can do a good single, you can do doubles, as the singles actually require more skill and technique.

As far as I know, yes, it's still recommended, and a good movement... but as far as cert goes, the skills within it are pretty much covered by all of the others.
Should I do singles instead then, since it doesn't require as much skill???

One thing to consider with the double press is that you can't "hide" any limited shoulder mobility, Especially with heavy doubles.

when you hit the Grind on doubles it can be a bad habit to lean back through your lumbar spine to compensate, where as with singles you can get away with a slight lean away to the side. This Compensation doesn't always mean poor shoulder mobility but if your shoulders only give you the option of pressing bells slightly forward and not straight up, then, generally speaking, people will get the mobility that need else where, lumber spine is the easiest place to get it. But this is a reciepe for back pain and/or injury.

Now that's not to say that you don't need adequate shoulder mobility for single presses too because you do. Its just the double press can highlight a potential weakness, limitation or opportunity for improvement. Food of thought anyway.

Are you asking because you are prepping for an SFG?

Yes, I am prepping for an SFG. I don't have a date or location set yet, but I'm aiming for an SFG and also a bodyweight certification - those are the best ways to learn the full Strongfirst system.

Thank you everyone. I see now that the singles are trickier due to having to keep your body square - it's like how it's tricky to do the one arm pushup due to the uneven load. I also see now how for pure strength gains the double press is better as, other than the individual arms, the rest of the body is dealing with TWICE as much weight! I got my second 24kg bell yesterday and the store has my second 32 ready for me next time I visit.

The double press seems like a great exercise - very time efficient too!

Had I seen this first, my recent post in the shoulder rotation thread would have fit in here better. Anyway, one thing I'm not seeing here is that I'm learning to use far more accessorry/bracing muscles while learning the double press than I was in singles. In recent double practice I'm feeling much more irradiation via abs, and even glutes. Maybe it's just a skill/experience/awareness/novelty thing, but even when I thought I tightened everything up for a hard a single, I just wasn't. So at least for me it seems I can learn technique/skill from either and apply it to the other.
(plus, double mil press makes me feel more bad a#@ than just about anything else, which honestly is rewarding to my vanity and ego)

I'm thinking of the double presses as a terrifically time efficient way to strengthen and to tone up the body.

Had I seen this first, my recent post in the shoulder rotation thread would have fit in here better. Anyway, one thing I'm not seeing here is that I'm learning to use far more accessorry/bracing muscles while learning the double press than I was in singles. In recent double practice I'm feeling much more irradiation via abs, and even glutes. Maybe it's just a skill/experience/awareness/novelty thing, but even when I thought I tightened everything up for a hard a single, I just wasn't. So at least for me it seems I can learn technique/skill from either and apply it to the other.
(plus, double mil press makes me feel more bad a#@ than just about anything else, which honestly is rewarding to my vanity and ego)
The double press feels like a barbell - the whole body is kept under tension, which, rather than feeling terrible, actually feels excellent! I am sure it's making virtually my whole body strong, and it takes very little concentration compared with some other movements, and compared with singles.

Single press or double press?

There are two answers: Yes

And: It depends

As to which is 'more difficult' again: It depends

One requires greater mobility in the t-spine/shoulders, the other requires more strength in the core to maintain technique (though even that is open to discussion, what is harder on the core, a single 36kg or a pair of 32s?).

The change to double presses for me in my routine seems to have resulted in pulling my gut in very tight. I look a lot thinner but still weigh the same.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom