all posts post new thread

Old Forum Double kettlebell progression

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tom Kenney

Level 1 Valued Member
Hey,

I'm working with double kettlebells (front squat, C & J, snatch) and have been using the following progression:

Mon, Wed, Fri

3 x 3, 4 x 3, 5 x 3

3 x 4, 4 x 4, 5 x 4

...etc...

3 x 7, 4 x 7, 5 x 7

3 x 8, 4 x 8, 5 x 8

My question is how much volume should I build up before increasing the weight and starting back at 3 x 3? Is this even a sensible progression?

Thanks,

Tom

Is there a reason why you want to progress to the next bell size so quickly? You'll be surprised at how long you can continue using your current bells and still make progress in strength and conditioning. For example, once you've worked through your current program maybe switch over to ladders. Start with 3x2,4,6 and work your way up to 5x2,4,6,8,10. I would do that with the long cycle and maybe follow a different progression with the double snatches and front squats.

Thanks Leo.

No reason I want to progress quickly, I just want to progress continually as I forked out recently and bought pairs going from 16kg to 32kg.

I'll keep going with my progression until I can't go any further, and in the meantime I'll look into doing ladders like you suggested. I see ladders recommended for presses, and you mention using them for squats but not for C & J or snatch. I'm assuming ladders work well for grinds but are not usually used ballistics?

Actually, my suggestion of 3x2,4,6 working up to 5x2,4,6,8,10 was for the long cycle or clean and jerk. Higher rep ladders tend to work well for ballistics and lightweight grinds. Lower rep ladders (i.e. 3x1,2,3 etc) tend to work well for heavy grinds and heavy ballistics. It all depends on your goals, but ladders can accommodate most.

Ah I see, sorry it was late and I misread your original post. It all makes sense now though.

My goals are quite broad, I need strength, power and endurance for Muay Thai. Which is why I chose kettlebells over barbells. I'm aiming to cycle through moving from low reps to high reps with one size before moving up and starting again.

Which book focuses on double kettlebell work, is it ROTK?

I have ETK, The Naked Warrior and S & S. I'm currently working my way through S & S.

Beginner Double KB I would go with Geoff Neupert's KB Strong.  Especially if you are doing Muay Thai or any other martial art. ROTK is a very demanding program.

http://getkettlebellstrong.com/

Mike, thanks for the input, I have seen that page before but the program is expensive.

Thanks Pavel, I have been reading through the posts and came across the fighter pull up, total tension and moving target articles. Think I will go with one of these for now, but plenty more to get through though. At the moment S&S is the one constant I rely upon.

@Tom Kenney

Yeah it was not cheap but it has been worth every penny. You won't find a better video that covers all the DBL KB lifts in such detail and then the book with more info and the programs. I was leary of the price but the amount of SF people that were using and recommended it sold me.

Mike, yeah it's good to have it recommended, and I think at some point I will probably go for it.

Going to use Rite of Passage with Simple & Sinister on alternate days first though.

Just came across this article: http://www.strongfirst.com/things-are-going-so-well-help-me-screw-it-up-part-2/

Guess I will be sticking to S & S until I get the Simple goal! THEN Rite of Passage, THEN the Sinister goal, THEN think about using double kettlebells.

Haha I had it sooo wrong! I'm happy now I have a tried and tested long term plan :)

Tom - One thing you can try along the way is to get the groove down with the doubles along the way and keep it as some skills practice. Couple light sets of 5 here and there to get the form down and then once you are ready for double bells you'll make the bells feel like toys.

Awesome map to your goals though! Have fun and keep us posted!

Mike, this is what I am doing, having switched back to S&S to complete Sinister after a summer of Geoff's STRONG. Reassuring to know I'm on the right track.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom