all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Double Snatch A+A

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tommygray89

Level 1 Valued Member
I was curious for this in the know about A+A style training, would the double snatch be an effective exercise?
Pavel has mentioned that high rep double snatches can lead to injury.

I am in Borneo doing humanitarian work for the next 3 months and only have access to a pair of 20kgs.

I can easily snatch them both for sets of 5 on the minute.

Would building from say 8 minutes of 5 on the minute to 30 minutes be effective training or would I be at risk of more injury than gain

I've never tested the double snatch, nor do I like it for training. But I suspect what you have here would work for you.

Clean and push presses or clean and jerks are also a viable option for you. Do some aerobic running as a supplement.

There are also some nice options for using cleans for conditioning. You can clean alternating sides in a few ways: one is to keep one in the rack while the other drops down and comes back but as the first one comes back to the rack, you drop the second one - you never have both in the rack at the same time, and this is pretty vigorous, even with only a pair of 20's; another is to rack both and simply drop and clean one, then drop and clean the other and continue like that, stopping briefly with both in the rack each time.

-S-

I have done a lot of A+A training with double cleans, working up to doing 60 sets of 5 with double 28s.

I posted a little bit about the exerience in this thread:
(Not So) Lazy Cleans

Since then, I have continued to do one session of 30 sets each week, along with sessions of A+A snatches and S&S style swings.

A couple of notes:
--It's harder to stay anti-glycolitic with double cleans compared to single bell snatches or swings, so rest periods have to be a little longer. There is also more local muscular fatigue in the grip and forearm since both arms are working every set instead of alternating arm each set (although this became less noticeable over time).

--I used a clock, which is not @aciampa approved, but to make it work, I try to calibrate my intervals so that I have sufficiently generous recovery time. In practice, this means that I take a lot more time than I might really need at the beginning of the session in order to still have enough near the end. I like the clock because I find it relaxing to not have to think about when to start the next set, but it is arguably less optimal than learning to listen to your body to gauge recovery.

--IIRC, I started with 10 sets and built from there. I was able to make fairly rapid progress. Over about two months, I built up to 60 sets, and now 30 sets represents a pretty low level of perceived effort.

Hope this helps.

I love double snatches. You can get hurt by doing anything else and 5 reps is not high reps.

Start off with, say, 5 sets of 3 and gradually build up to 20-30 sets of 5.
With enough rest of course, in order to be it A+A.
I do not see any reason why this won't work.

Based on Marty Gallagher's "Progressive Pulls" program, I've done KB progressions via sets of snatches, followed by sets of clean & push-press, followed by sets of cleans to circumvent fatigue and increase volume. You could also alternate each set to simulate an undulating ladder, or a pyramid from cleans up to snatches back down to cleans...gosh, what couldn't you do. I will also say, I really like double snatches but they are also really easy to start losing good form and not realize it in the moment.

Hahaha, not to mention one guy who has broken his rib (perhaps even ribs) while sneezing.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom