all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Doubles with different weight

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

J.C.S.

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi StrongFirst community,

I currently train at home and have singles of 12,16,20,24,32kg. The goal is to get complete set of doubles but it's a work in progress. I am curious if anyone here does any lifting with doubles of different weight. My KB background is mostly with G.S. and used to lifting with 2 bells.

I have just played around a little with this idea and kept the weight light and reps low. Using the 16kg and 20kg and flipping sides each set I have done just a few complexes. Such as;

Clean 3x
Press 3x
Racked squat 3x
5 sets

Jeff

I've always done my doubles with different weights because I don't own two bells the same weight either.

I have no baseline to compare it to in regards to lifting two bells the same weight but I find it a bit of neurological challenge as well. When you switch sides you have to recalibrate the lift so you don't throw one too high or in the wrong arc etc. It does give a slight torsional loading effect you probably wouldn't get with two bells the same weight too, both when you lift them and when they land in the racked position.

I'd suggest it's not ideal for shear strength development as you don't really want to be in a state where you have to think about anything when lifting a heavy weight. Once you are set up properly it should be like the flick of a switch and almost automatic.

I'm only a small guy but it worked well for me with weights up to 28 & 32 kg and switching them out for sets of clean, squat & press (in one movement) . Much more than that probably would have been too much for me because of the mental concentration needed to co-ordinate the change in mechanics at each switch. When my heart rate was up it was becoming borderline dangerous as my form was breaking down.

As I said you really don't need to be thinking about nuances in loading mechanics when you start lifting a bit heavier, if everything is symmetrical you don't have those variables to complicate things.

Good stuff, Tarzan.

Will keep playing around with it. I like that you brought up the mental and neurological demand. It definitely tests my proprioception, but also kind of bugs my OCD tendencies lol.

Should also point out that I lift with competition bells that are the same dimensions. Can only imagine that using cast iron would be more difficult.

@J.C.S. ... from an OCD standpoint, do 6 sets... (i.e. 3 sets with the heavy bell on each side, preferably alternating each set).

I don't use differently-sized bells often, but I have done so... and I only have cast iron bells. Size of the bells doesn't make that much difference, IMO.

Any assymetrical, unevenly loaded exercises are great. Try to do equal work on each side, but the human body is not symmetrical. Embrace your asymmetry.

Good stuff guys,
@advtracer ROTK is only $4 on kindle so will have to check it out.

@Ryan Toshner I keep it simple and just switch directions each set to keep it even (and make sure my sets are even numbered).

Have not tried any ballistic double movements with different weight but really enjoy the presses and front squats.

Hello,

Doing asymetrical doubles will reach you how to stay straight even with different loads on each side. To some extents, suitecase carries also do that.

Plus you will press more and reap all the standard press benefits.

You will take the advantages of both world.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Uneven doubles are great core smoker (and equalizer at the same time).

My most recent experience with them was doing front squats w/ 32+16
which was significantly more challenging than using 24+24.

I saw someone use the term Jingle Bells when using two different kettlebells at the same time.

There are some movements that work well with the doubles of different weights. The Two Hands anyhow has you bent press a heavier bell and curl and press a lighter one. You can also do anchored windmills where a lighter weight is above your head and a heavier weight is down below.

ROTK is certainly worth checking out. Assymetrical doubles are also a fantastic way of building up to using the heavier weight on both sides.
That said stick to grinds for this kind of work, ballistics would be punishing.

@Riley O'Neill I enjoy anchored windmills, will have to check out Two Hands Anyhow.

Will play around with some rack holds for time and various carry positions.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom