all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Doubt about what method use for training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

VondeTaconadis

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi, I've been doing calisthenics for 1 years and half. My maximals are the same as 3 months ago.
I have doubt, about what method use for training, there are a lots so I don't know what use.
And how I calculate the max reps for a day? (for example I use to training 4 times in a week, 2 days, on first day I focus on train pullups and dips, and I add some easy skill like Tuck FL and HSPU wall, on the second day I focus on reaching Front Lever,Planche and HS / HSPU) .
And last question, it's better to do 2x15 pullups or 5x6 (what change)

Sorry if there are too many question, but I thought I knew more about the calisthenics.

Hello,

@VondeTaconadis
Could you pleae describe precisely (sets, reps) your training routine please ?

What you call "easy skill" like Tuck FL and HSPU against the wall remain taxing for the shoulders. Maybe this can explain why you start to stall. Most of the time, the "max reps a day" you mention is the maximum number you can recover from, before doing the exact same number (or more), with the same quality.

Considerting 2 * 15 reps or 5 * 6 reps, it depends. The first one tends to focus on strength-endurance. The second one, more on strength and skill (even if it can also work on conditioning if the rest are short).

Kind regaerds,

Pet'

I have been enjoying rotating through a few different emphasized progressions. For example, do a month where you
  1. add a few pounds of weight each week but keep the sets and reps the same
  2. Add a rep or two each week but keep everything else the same
  3. Reduce the rest period between sets each week
  4. Add more sets each week.

Some good thoughts already here. My take for progressing in general is to use different variations of exercises to get my change in rep/set/loading structure. It is important to get this type of variety either by altering a single movement or swapping it out.

Example one day use incline pushups, next use one arm pushups.

@pet' , the way you approach set and intensity will depend on your goals. You might also alter the set/rep count/timing on a rotating schedule.

Good article by Chad Waterbury on how he improved his pullups.
13,064 Pull-Ups in 5 Months | T Nation

Hello,

@VondeTaconadis
Could you pleae describe precisely (sets, reps) your training routine please ?

What you call "easy skill" like Tuck FL and HSPU against the wall remain taxing for the shoulders. Maybe this can explain why you start to stall. Most of the time, the "max reps a day" you mention is the maximum number you can recover from, before doing the exact same number (or more), with the same quality.

Considerting 2 * 15 reps or 5 * 6 reps, it depends. The first one tends to focus on strength-endurance. The second one, more on strength and skill (even if it can also work on conditioning if the rest are short).

Kind regaerds,

Pet'
I used since 1 months a go this routine:
Day A:
6x8 Pullup;
6x5 Chin Up;
6x5 Close grip pullup;

Dip: 8 x6;
Pushup: 10 x 5;
Close pushup: 10 x5;
Day B:
-Tuck Ice Cream Maker:5X5;
-Advanced Tuck FL: 5sec x 10,
-Pseudo Planche: 20 sec x 5;
-Pseudo planche pushup:5x5;
-Wall Handstand: Max x 5;
-V pushup: 8 x5;
-Pullups:8x3;
-Dips:8x3;

For this month i tried to make a new workout program, using a book that I buyed but I didn't understend all methods for making the program.
Today I tried my maximal on skills: Advanced tuck FL: 20 sec Tuck Planche:5 sec

Hi there :)
no leg focused exercises? Could be nice to give the upper body a bit more rest and to add one more day to your routine by training legs?!

Hello,

@VondeTaconadis
As the others already wisely mentioned, I'd do something for the legs (pistol progression for instance).

Otherwise, what is the goal ? Front lever and Planche ? Did you consider training 3 times a week with a light / medium / heavy session ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Seems like A day is for basic exercise with volume and the second day is for skill ( fl- planche)
You can also change a bit about that program: move FL exercises to A , and chin/pull to B. like this:
Day A
-Tuck Ice Cream Maker
-Advanced Tuck FL
-Dips, push up, diamond push up
Day B
-Pseudo Planche
-pseudo planche push up
-Wall Handstand
-Pull, chin up
The reason i do this is the FL is like "static pull", the planche likes "static push", so i don't want to worry about my chin up/ dips being affected by doing harder pull/ push begining.

Another option is one FL+ one planche exercise per day. Because the ice cream maker has some Fl in it, and pseudo push up has some planche lean in its, i want to seperate it- so you can truly focus on doing FL/ Planche without worry about your grinding FL/planche being affected. Two choice:

1) One Statics+ One grinds
Day A:
-FL
-pseudo Planche
Day B:
-Tuck ice cream maker
-pseudo planche push up
( keep other exercise like normal)
i like this choice
2) two statics/ two grinds:
Day A
-FL
-Planche
Day B:
-Ice cream maker
-Pseudo push up

You see, i try to spend the most quality time of your training season for the hardest skill, and i think this is the best way to learn calis skills. To make this rountie work, you really need to focus on doing the hard exercise right: keeping your tensions high, attention to detail, leaning forward far enough but still keep the hollow position....

The basics push up/ dips/ pull/ chins, i think it's like something for your muscle and ligament, it likes 20% of the pratice seasons. Ladder or fixed reps, your choice. Do it with your energy you got left

you can also stick with your original program, without changing the reps/ sets, just focus to do it more strictly. After a month or two, if this become easier, then hey, you are progressing- it likes SnS, doing the same important thing again and again and you become stronger. Record your training season: how do you do the exercise, how do you feel, time of the season, tips, idea....That is the way of progress

Some people may worry about the legs, but i worry about the posterial chain and the hips more. When i did calis in the past my hips was holding me back then. So make sure you have something for your strongest muscle group.

if my ideas are to hard to understand, then please ask, because English is not my mother language.

Hello,

@VondeTaconadis
If you are interested in Front Lever and Planche training, and then creating a complete and efficient programming toward them, did you consider Steven Low's 'Overcoming Gravity' book ?

This guy also has a very good website

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom