all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Downstairs Neighbours

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Sebastien

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi there,

I am soon moving to a new apartment. I am currently doing the Simple and Sinister Training with 36kg. I am a bit worried about the noise for the downstairs neighbours when ending the one-arm swings (putting the kb down).

However :
It is a recent construction and fairly well isolated.
I am using sport matts.
But more important, I have the feeling that the kb (even with a weight of 36kg) does not land all that hard on the floor after the swings.

Anyone with experience with training in an apartment (during Corona) ? How does that go for you ?

Hi there,

I am soon moving to a new apartment. I am currently doing the Simple and Sinister Training with 36kg. I am a bit worried about the noise for the downstairs neighbours when ending the one-arm swings (putting the kb down).

However :
I am using sport matts.
But more important, I have the feeling that the kb (even with a weight of 36kg) does not land all that hard on the floor after the swings.

Anyone with experience with training in an apartment (during Corona) ? How does that go for you ?
Off topic: Let me know when you upgrade to Olympic lifts... Now that's a conversation I wanna follow.

Hi there,

However :
I am using sport matts.

I’m guessing, since you’re doing S and S 10x in about 1/2 hour or so isn’t gonna bother them that much. You could always get a small square pillow to put the ball onto when you land it?

Hi there,

However :
I am using sport matts.

Jumping jacks, basketball drills or even e-drums are far more annoying than those 10 set downs per session. When in doubt, use another layer of cushioning.

You should be fine :)

Perhaps you could leave them a note on their door letting them know you'll be noisy for a specified time frame each night.

I would have loved that if my former upstairs neighbor could have given me a heads up. (Plus, it will hold you accountable for getting it done!)

Perhaps you could leave them a note on their door letting them know you'll be noisy for a specified time frame each night.

I would have loved that if my former upstairs neighbor could have given me a heads up. (Plus, it will hold you accountable for getting it done!)
A six-pack every time you drop the bell should pacify them pretty quick... "What? No drops today? Get a heavier bell... Man! (hiccup!)"

Hi there,

I am soon moving to a new apartment. I am currently doing the Simple and Sinister Traininwith 36kg. I am a bit worried about the noise for the downstairs neighbours when ending the one-arm swings (putting the kb down).

Lol, i train upstairs and haven’t had complaints. All good advice above. i use mats and all as well. You will become much more mindful in your set down though. I’m not up to 36k uet but the 32 seems fine. Now that it’s nicer though i will be returning to the back porch where i put down some real rubber mats. My place is also very old and not updated, my landlord is oldschool italian and not opposed to yelling up the stairs at my kids running too much so i think I’d know by now.
Off topic: Let me know when you upgrade to Olympic lifts... Now that's a conversation I wanna follow.
I am starting to drill clean and jerk with my bells but am only on light weights. As i type this though i realize you are likely reffering To barbell and not the feet hitting in the jerk, lol.

Hi there,

However :
I am using sport matts.

Treat the put down as part of the movement skill. When doing the clean, kettlebell should not 'bang' into the forearm, but 'arrive' in space, perfectly. Same should be true of floor. No bang. Arrive.

Why not just train outside?
I live in the Netherlands. It's still snowing here outside (and I realize I sound like a sissy :)
Jumping jacks, basketball drills or even e-drums are far more annoying than those 10 set downs per session. When in doubt, use another layer of cushioning.

You should be fine :)
Thanks for all the great advice all :
- some matts
- nicely land the bell
- note to the neighbors

I'll let you know, but it seems like a good plan !

If you can't put the kettlebell down gently after a set, then you need a lighter bell.

I swing heavy with no issues in doors and I always put it down gently as hell (let the momentum of the swing die out before putting the bell down, and it will be like a deadlift and you can control it as much as you like.)

Also get a spongey yoga mat and roll it up as a buffer between the bell and the floor.

I live in the Netherlands. It's still snowing here outside (and I realize I sound like a sissy :)
Well, my group trained outside all winter in Colorado! We survived. We even let our ego get in the way and see who would only wear a t-shirt. The biggest challenge was drying off the kettlebell handle when you put it down between sets in the heavy snow. Our only rule was that we'd cancel the workout if it was "dangerous cold" not just "uncomfortable cold"

Well, my group trained outside all winter in Colorado! We survived. We even let our ego get in the way and see who would only wear a t-shirt. The biggest challenge was drying off the kettlebell handle when you put it down between sets in the heavy snow. Our only rule was that we'd cancel the workout if it was "dangerous cold" not just "uncomfortable cold"
It's never "dangerous cold" here in Colorado. My 16 year old insisted and did his 1-hour run at sub-zero temperature earlier this year. I think it was -3 F.

Last edited:
I train indoors in the early morning when my whole family is asleep. I will often on the set-down brace my off arm on my thigh and elephant-swing the bell to slow it down thus allowing for a completely silent parking of the Bell. I can do a smooth Park of the Bell without bracing, but even just it settling onto the flat bottom would sometimes shake the whole house. I often wonder if bracing with my off arm is a big No-No, but I've been doing this for a few years now with heavy bells and have experienced no problems with injury.

It's never "dangerous cold" here in Colorado. My 16 year old insisted and did his 1-hour run at sub-zero temperature earlier this year. I think it was -3 F.

Thank you guys ... I'm going to feel like a twelve year old girl all week now ! Got it, no complaining, even not when it is snowing ;)

Thank you guys ... I'm going to feel like a twelve year old girl all week now ! Got it, no complaining, even not when it is snowing
Make that a 10 year old ;). My daughter, 10, is just by my side and wearing shorts and a t-shirt. It's 5 C outside today in Montreal and she had to walk from the house to my office in my garage in that attire. Yes,that's only 25 meters, but still. When I told her it was too cold for shorts today as we had pretty warm weather most of the week she brushed me off saying "I'll be fine". She probably follows my wife's example (see below)

All joking aside, you get used to the cold, just like everything. If you dress warmly all the time, your body will not adapt to the cold. Usually, when fall comes, I try to delay as much as possible getting dressed warmly, unless there is a danger of hypothermia of course. Then, my body adapts and I find winter enjoyable. Otherwise, if you get your warmest clothes on as soon as you approach the freezing point, when it gets to below -20, you freeze, no matter what you wear. Of course, you have to look out for more extreme conditions. If any part of your body freezes, or if your core temperature drops too much, you are in trouble.

My wife took this to a more extreme version this winter and she would not wear a jacket unless it was less than -10 when we went for errands or when she skied (X-country). The only times she wore one was when we went skiing for a couple of hours with our daughter, as the little one is on the slow side because of her age and my wife could not keep warm. Otherwise, my wife was fine (and got looked at weirdly a lot).

I guess that’s true. Though you do generate more heat running than doing set of kettlebells with the wind. And the iron handle do get really cold. Don’t want to stick to them :)

I think we skipped only 3 days this winter.

Got a good one in today

6D87E182-81EF-49E6-B400-E88183FA0D4D.jpeg

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom