all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Dr. Mark Cheng's Prehab/rehab

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

wespom9

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has purchased or watched Dr. Mark Cheng's Prehab Rehab 101 DVD

I am looking into buying it as I've heard a ton of good things, read his work where I can find it and have general respect for much of what he discusses. My only issue is I want to know what kinds of things are covered in it and if it would be of benefit.

For background info, besides the many articles/blogs/books I've read, I have Cressey and Reinold's Functional Stability training (all 3 modules, Lower Upper and Core), I have a few of the FMS DVD's (Applying the Model, Secrets of Hip and Shoulder) as well as Weingroff's T=R2 Regressions and Lateralizations.

If anyone has seen these (or others to recommend) and can tell me if Dr. Cheng's will add considerably to these, that would be great! Always looking to hear more and learn more from the FMS/StrongFirst crowd as I think the two concepts are extremely complementary

Hey,

I purchased Prehab Rehab 101 as a digital download when it was first released. I like it a lot as Dr Cheng is a very fine teacher who clearly communicates his clinical and training expertise in an effective manner.

Dr Cheng expounds on the small details throughout these videos, so although the majority of the material is 'basic' - diaphragmatic breathing, quadruped work - for instance, his instructions and observations have value, in my opinion. Furthermore, the video's participants are three rehab professionals with varying degrees of mobility and stability, which provides for some interesting feedback during the short q&a sections. In this respect, it is similar to Charlie's T=R 1+2 in that there are 'live models' demonstrating the exercises with varying degrees of competency.

I have Gray's entire DVD output, as well as Charlie's (obviously). In my opinion, Prehab Rehab 101 complements the other FMS material seamlessly. However, I'm not sure if it does so 'considerably'. As I mentioned above, a lot of the material will be familiar to those who have been exposed to FMS (and OS, to some extent); the excellent prone lying progressions were the only drills that were unfamiliar to me. Having said that, I personally found to them to highly effective for t-spine mobility and neck control so they were 'worth the price of admission' for me.

Hope this helps,

Mike.

@strawdog thank you very much for the answer. I suppose "considerably" may have been a strong word, but even if much of it is familiar, there is definitely still benefit to hearing ideas multiple times. I was leaning on the side of getting it anyway, but your info is definitely helpful and appreciated.

I loved Secrets of the Hip and Shoulder - what would your comments be on on Kettlebells from the Center and/or Ground Up, as well as Secrets of Primitive patterns? I've gone back and forth on these ones. The kettlebell videos simply because I wasn't sure if it would add too much from what I already know from SF (though I am a voracious reader of all SF material/youtube videos, I've yet been unable to take a course or do a cert. I have an SFG I I've talked to a few times however)

You're welcome.

Secrets of Primitive Patterns was the first FMS dvd I bought, and in my opinion, if you have T+R2, I wouldn't bother with it.

I love Dynami, and Kettlebells from the Ground Up, however. With those two dvds you're not just getting the videos but superb instructional manuals too (by Jeff O'Connor, and Mark Cheng, respectively, I believe). As someone with minimal opportunity to learn from a properly qualified instructor, I found them to be critical learning tools. In your case, as you have access to an SFG, they may not be necessary.

Last edited:
Ok, that is good to know. The manuals are not something I considered when debating the purchase. Thank you very much for your time and info!

@strawdog - Do you have KB from the Ground up 1 or 2 (or both)? and if so can you comment on the difference? Are there manuals to go with the DVD's for both?

Hey,

I have the first set of KB from the Ground Up DVDs, but not Ground Up 2. From what I've read about Ground Up 2, there are a lot of advanced corrective drills that were not featured in the original DVDs. As far as I can tell, I don't think there's a manual with Ground Up 2, but I could be wrong.

The manual that accompanies the original Ground Up DVDs is excellent.

I'm not in the area unfortunately but I am going to order the dvd from OTP with all the fun little extras. Thanks all for opinions and thoughts!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom