all posts post new thread

Barbell Dropping the Squat for Push/Pull competitions ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

J7Williams

First Post
First time in any forum let alone at SF, I Was hoping I could gain some knowledge from those in the forum. First general info, I am 37 years old and work in the oil and gas industry in Bakersfield, Ca while attending a local JC full time. Former wrestler, and have been training/competing in jiu-jitsu for 15 years, strength training since ‘1997 mostly powerlifting style programs with high volume/frequency chin ups and back extensions.
Due to work, family and school I need to put jiu jitsu training on pause for a while. So to scratch my competitive itch (the need for a comp. date on the calendar) I am thinking about competing in powerlifting, specifically the United States Powerlifting Association sub-masters drug tested division at 181lbs in the Bench Press/Deadlift category. I apologize for the rambling, finally to my questions.
1. How should I set up a weekly training schedule for Push/Pull comps?
2. How often should I squat for Push/Pull, if at all?
3. Should I drop the squat all together?
4. If the squat is dropped will I create imbalances/ unintended injuries?

First time in any forum let alone at SF, I Was hoping I could gain some knowledge from those in the forum. First general info, I am 37 years old and work in the oil and gas industry in Bakersfield, Ca while attending a local JC full time. Former wrestler, and have been training/competing in jiu-jitsu for 15 years, strength training since ‘1997 mostly powerlifting style programs with high volume/frequency chin ups and back extensions.
Due to work, family and school I need to put jiu jitsu training on pause for a while. So to scratch my competitive itch (the need for a comp. date on the calendar) I am thinking about competing in powerlifting, specifically the United States Powerlifting Association sub-masters drug tested division at 181lbs in the Bench Press/Deadlift category. I apologize for the rambling, finally to my questions.
While you don't need to focus on the squat I wouldn't drop it from your training. It still provides stability in the bench and assistance in pushing your heels through on the deadlift. I would look at a four day westside program, using the squat on DE days for developing speed. Just my opinion.

There are many options here and rely on several different facets of your training history and background and goals. Are your knees a bit worn? Will squatting help your deadlift? Why omit the squat? How many days a week can you train?

If you decide not to focus on the Power squat, that's okay, but SOME type of squat should be present even if it's just prying goblet squats or the like to keep you mobile. Squatting has always helped my deadlift more then vise versa.

As far as weekly schedule, there are many options once again and this depends on your training age and time available. If you are newer to the game, use a program by either a certified strength coach or any one of the basic templates found anywhere. If you're a little more experienced, having a coach can still help but if you've trained for over a decade, you can probably tell what your body adjusts to better than anyone else. Still, having someone outside your own perspective can give you new insights in to what might be missing.

As for squatting, if I were to do push/pull I'd still most certainly include it the same way I include the Press even though it's not a contested lift. It doesn't have to be as strongly emphasized and the workload should be distributed in a way that your main goal is accentuated but the supporting parts are all properly addressed. Squatting really makes you better at most things in the weight room I've found.

1. I generally had luck setting up my week as follows:
Benching 2x/week
Bench auxiliary work 2x/week (sometimes same session as bench, sometimes different)
SQ 1-2x/week
DL 0-1x/week
SQ/DL auxiliary work 2x/week (sometimes same session as SQ/DL, sometimes different)

2. For ME, squatting helps my DL. For ME, DL does not help my squat. I would still go w. the above split.

3. I wouldn't drop it altogether if you are planning on doing PL meets in the future.

4. Maybe.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom