all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Dry Fighting Weight - After Week 5, What Happens?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

watchnerd

Level 8 Valued Member
Since my winter routine consists of presses, front squats, swings, and TGUs, I thought I might model my press day on Dry Fighting Weight.

The week 1-5 progression is clear to me.

But I'm not understanding what happens after Week 5.

Here is the note:

"Week 5:
a h
  • Day 1: Perform 3×3.
  • Day 2: Perform a new RM with the same kettlebell(s) you used for the previous 4 weeks. Or you may go up to a heavier kettlebell(s) and perform a new RM."

So if I hit a new RM with the same kettlebell (say, going from 5 RM to 8 RM), what happens after that, if I don't want to move up to heavier bell?

Do I just do 3 x (new RM) sets for 30 minutes?

So if I hit a new RM with the same kettlebell (say, going from 5 RM to 8 RM), what happens after that, if I don't want to move up to heavier bell?

It's only supposed to be run for 4 weeks (plus testing week) at the same weight. If the program works and your 5RM increases to a 7 or 8 but you don't want to go to a heavier bell then I guess you need to pick a new program (or program your own, which you're obviously very capable of) since this is specifically based on your 5RM?

It's only supposed to be run for 4 weeks (plus testing week) at the same weight. If the program works and your 5RM increases to a 7 or 8 but you don't want to go to a heavier bell then I guess you need to pick a new program (or program your own, which you're obviously very capable of) since this is specifically based on your 5RM?

Gotcha.

I didn't pick up on the fact that it's such a short duration and ends there.

Might fun for a December holiday run.

Last edited:
Gotcha.

I didn't pick up on the fact that it's such a short duration and ends there.

Might fun for a December holiday run.
Most of the density training programs have a deload after 3 or 4 weeks. You could run it again (either with heavier bells or doing more reps), but the knock on the density training is that it's taxing and you risk burnout. If you read about Bryce Lane's 50/20, he had some ideas about not getting stale on a density program. Change the lifts slightly (perhaps easier with a barbell than KB), do a week of singles after 3 weeks, etc.

I did it a couple of years ago. Looked at my notes. It says I was glad for it to be over. I'm running it again right now but with single arm C&J. One things I'm going to do is give myself permission to not set a rep record every single session (even though 5 workouts in and I have beat my previous reps each time.) If you could run it in perpetuity, you'd be a beast but I don't think it's possible.

I know Geoff says to not turn it into a metcon, but regardless, it's more demanding than most Strongfirst programs, imho.

it's more demanding than most Strongfirst programs, imho.

Sounds perfect for December when work is less busy and I have vacation time, allowing me to accommodate more stressful training.

Perhaps it can be alternated with ROP?

I'm running it again right now but with single arm C&J.

I'm also planning to it with single arm C&P and 1-arm KB front squat.

I'm hoping the combo should give some cross-body stabilization benefits, much needed after a summer of barbell work.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom