all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Dry Fighting Weight and Pull Ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Chrisroach73

Level 2 Valued Member
Hey everyone! I'm about to start the dry fighting weight program with 20 kg bells. I would really like to incorporate pull ups just to maintain the movement. I know that it is not recommended to tweak a written program, but I would be interested in any input you have to offer about including pull ups. Thanks!

Any time I have "added" to a program I either end up overtrained, injured or both.

With respect to pullups, they're a tough movement and frequent practice of them is important.

Having said that, pressing the SF way has always maintained and many times increased my pullup ability. (Mileage varies of course)

Bottom line, I'd just do DFW as written.

I think the Dry Fighting Weight program is one of the best kettlebell programs out there. I was thinking about running this with Q&D (snatch protocol) for a few months (alternating days).

@Chrisroach73 I would just run DFW as is. The volume can build up with the ladders, and in my opinion, the CP is a pretty complete upper body exercise. You should not lose much if anything by not training pullups while you run through DFW. If you really feel you need to, I would only do a few light sets one day a week.

I can perform 7 strict pull ups.
Chris, I would "practice" pull ups a few times per day some/most days via GTG. If you performed sets of 2-4 reps 1-5x per day. 3-5x per week. I don't think you will have any issues recovering from DFW and will improve your pull up technique dramatically. The key is making sure you are leaving ample time, 30mins or more, between sets of 2-4 pull ups and always training DFW while completely fresh.
Let us know which path you choose and the results you achieve. Best, Shawn

GTG is probably best for pull-ups if you are doing DFW. You can also emphasize the negative on the press (slow, controlled, tense) for a similar effect.

Or even better - lay off the pull-ups and see if they go up or RM stays the same as a result of all the pressing and cleaning. I bet you’ll be surprised.

Enjoy the program! It was my first double bell program 1.5 years ago (see log link in my signature). It’s a very solid program, GN is rightfully well-regarded around here.

Thanks everyone for the input. After a full week of DFW, I decided to just do GTG pull ups once or twice a week. DFW left my back exploding. On a similar note, should the ladders be performed individually or ETK style? Thanks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom