all posts post new thread

Dry Fighting Weight : Happy Birthday! Now Get To Work.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Sean M
>>Really low volume session in preparation for test day in the middle of the week.
Ah, that makes sense. Thank you!

>>So if the reps are slower and more of a grind compared to your first set or two, you're not resting enough.
Agreed, and it's a very good cue, but it's really hard (for me at least) to not chase higher numbers. In other words, MetCon. Hence my struggle ;)

So, how did your test day go? Are you keeping a training log online as well?

@Sean M
>>Really low volume session in preparation for test day in the middle of the week.
Ah, that makes sense. Thank you!

>>So if the reps are slower and more of a grind compared to your first set or two, you're not resting enough.
Agreed, and it's a very good cue, but it's really hard (for me at least) to not chase higher numbers. In other words, MetCon. Hence my struggle ;)

So, how did your test day go? Are you keeping a training log online as well?
Links to my DFW results in my training log: body comp and strength

My RM with 24kg one-arm did not go up after DFW with 2 x 16. (Not surprising in retrospect)

Tomorrow I’m testing my one-arm C&P with 24kg after 5 weeks of RoP.

A few weeks after DFW I randomly hit 3 strict double 24 press. Found it odd.

@MarkSch Geoff Neupert gives the cue either in the article itself or elsewhere - if the bell speed decreases, you're not resting enough. So if the reps are slower and more of a grind compared to your first set or two, you're not resting enough. That's how you know you're not over-doing it.
Then 3 minutes wasn't enough today for me. Thanks for the cue Sean

Day Seven, Week 3 5/14/2018

Off day activities:
-Bass Fishin'
-Light stretching
-Goblets and halos

Weight Used : 2x24 Kg

C&P Ladders 1,2,3,4 : 5
50 reps

FSQ Ladders 1,2,3,4 : 5
50 reps

Thoughts:
-Blah blah MetCon, blah blah.
-May have rushed this one a bit, but then the rep speed stayed pretty consistent.

Day Eight, Week 3 5/16/2018

Off day activities:
-Stretching. Getting a bit stiffer as the volume increases
-Goblets and halos

C&P Doubles : 21
42 reps

FSQ Doubles 20
40 reps
+2 , technically after time was up

Thoughts:
-A nice increase in reps on the 'light ' day
-Volume is becoming enough that I notice it, later in the day and the next day.

Day Nine, Week 3 5/18/2018

Off day activities:
-Stretching
-Goblets and halos

C&P Triples: 17
51 reps

FSQ Triples: 17
51 reps

Thoughts:
-Volume continues to go up.
-Next week is a gut check. I'm going to try for the higher reps in each category: why not?

Last edited:
Day Ten, Week 4 5/21/2018

Off day activities:
-Yard work
-Stretching
-Goblets and halos

C&P Ladders to 4 or 5 : 5,5,5,4
55 reps

FSQ Ladders to 4 or 5 : 5,5,5,2 (set of 3, then 4 after time ran out, @ 31: 30)
48 reps (55 after time ran out)

Thoughts:
-A tough day. I had hoped for 4 ladders of 5, but I needed tie to stay out of MetCon.
--For anyone reading, what is a recommended followup program to DFW? Hypertrophy, such as TTC or Kettlebell Muscle?

Day Ten, Week 4 5/21/2018

Off day activities:
-Yard work
-Stretching
-Goblets and halos

C&P Ladders to 4 or 5 : 5,5,5,4
55 reps

FSQ Ladders to 4 or 5 : 5,5,5,2 (set of 3, then 4 after time ran out, @ 31: 30)
48 reps (55 after time ran out)

Thoughts:
-A tough day. I had hoped for 4 ladders of 5, but I needed tie to stay out of MetCon.
--For anyone reading, what is a recommended followup program to DFW? Hypertrophy, such as TTC or Kettlebell Muscle?
I would take 2-4 weeks of mobility and one-arm kettlebell work such as S&S with a medium bell (such as 24 if you have hit Simple or otherwise normally work the 32).

I wouldn’t go into another heavy doubles program.

@Sean M

Thanks for the feedback. Why would you avoid heavy doubles?
For the record, I completed Simple a while ago, and can routinely do the TGU with 40K. If I went to singles work, I'd probably work the 1-hand 32K to dial it in even better.

@Sean M

Thanks for the feedback. Why would you avoid heavy doubles?
For the record, I completed Simple a while ago, and can routinely do the TGU with 40K. If I went to singles work, I'd probably work the 1-hand 32K to dial it in even better.
Speaking for myself as a relatively inexperienced lifter, I can only "peak" 4-6 weeks at a time. So I know for myself two 4-week or a 4- and then 6-week heavy doubles program would be a lot of neurological load that would require something less fatiguing for recovery, like light(er) S&S and mobility work, walking, etc.

I haven't tried a routine from MKM (though I own it), but it may be fine as they are lighter (10-12RM) protocols based on complexes.

Hector Gutierrez has a 4-week program (I think only available as an extra with his highly-regarded Double Kettlebell Manifesto) that is exactly this - bodyweight mobility, light kettlebell (12-16kg) mobility moves like segments of TGU, arm bars, single-leg deadlift, etc., and low volume, light (16-24kg) single-arm swings and snatches. Designed specifically as a transition after one double-bell program before another cycle. I haven't done it yet but I'll do at least 2 weeks of it after my current cycle of ROP is done. You've inspired me to do DFW again after that - hopefully with 2x24 as well (currently 3RM, hopefully 5RM by then).

Day Eleven, Week 4 5/23/2018

Off day activities:
-Stretching
-Goblets and halos

C&P Doubles : 23
46 reps

FSQ Doubles : 23
46 reps

Thoughts:
-Reps continue to go up
-On these light days, I try to really focus on form, hopefully to good effect.

Last edited:
Day Twelve, Week 4 5/25/2018

Off day activities:
-Stretching
-Goblets and halos

C&P Triples, Quads, alternating
Triples: 8
Quads: 8
Reps= 56

FSQ Triples, Quads, alternating
Triples: 8
Quads: 8
Reps= 56

Thoughts:
--Another tough one.
-- I maaaay have gone into MetCon on the last set of 4s, but I did want to get some reps in. In any case, I still had a good 30+ seconds of rest after each set, with walking about and Fast and Loose, so it probably wasn't too bad.
--Interested to see what next week brings. I don't have doubles heavier then 24K, so it will have to to be a new rep max.

Day Thirteen, Week 5 5/28/2018

Off day activities:
-Stretching
-Goblets and halos
-Walking

C&P Triples , 3 times
Reps = 9

FSQ Triples , 3 times
Reps= 9
Time= About 4 minutes

Thoughts:
-Well, that was easy
-I'm interested to see how my test goes in 2 days

Day Fourteen, Week 5 5/30/2018

The Gripping Conclusion: Testing and Final Results

Weight Used: 2x24 KB bells

Starting Rep Maximums:

Umm, I don't really know. I did not rep out to begin the program. D'oh! However, looking back over my previous training, mainly Total Tension Complex, these seem a good approximation for 2x24K:
C&P Initial Max: 6-7
FS Initial Max: 6-7

C&P Final Max : 10 reps
FS Final Max : 12 reps
Military Press Test, extra for fun (only one intial clean) : 10 reps

Results:

177 pounds (80.25 KG) , a gain of 2 pounds (about a KG). I have no idea if body composition changed.
I feel tighter and more solid all over, especially in the chest, shoulders, and quads
Strength and confidence gains (see below)
I look like a dumpy 52-year old office worker....which is accurate if not quite my mental self-image. Before and after pictures would have been good, but probably would not show much difference.
To be fair, I did not change my diet much if at all, and indulged myself in beer and picnic food over Memorial Day, at the end of the program.

Thoughts:

-This is a good program! Focusing on two movements with this load pattern and pacing was interesting.
-Daily reps went up fairly steadily, and my maximum reps went up satisfactorily too, I think (?)
-I might have squeezed out another rep or two in testing, but I was being careful about good form and safety. It was a challenge.
-I'm much more confident with 2X24 than I was before, so I am mentally and physically stronger as a result. About the only thing that worry me are double snatches: were I to test SFG, I'd only have to do 20K based on my age.

Bottom line:

As a short, sharp change of pace, I'd reccomend Dry Fighting Weight to anyone.

Dude, nice! You doubled your RM with front squats and nearly doubled with presses. And the fact you could pound out 10 military presses after a max C&P effort is awesome too.

Well done - really enjoyed your log. I'm psyched to do this program again later this summer with 2x24.

@Sean M

Thanks for the kind words: honestly, doing this log has been enjoyable, the more so because people like you check in from time to time with comments and encouragement. I'll be doing another one next week.

As to the MP effort, I just wanted to give it a shot, since I was all fired up at the time. I did have decent rest after each max attempt: 3 minutes or so, with my breathing near normal.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom