all posts post new thread

Old Forum "Dry Fighting Weight" Question (Pavel? Geoff?)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

MH

First Post
http://www.strongfirst.com/dry-fighting-weight/

So my question is regarding the loading parameters - specifically the 5RM. My C+P RM for a pair of 28's is higher than 5 (pretty sure it was 8 a couple months ago). However, a pair of 32's are only good for (maybe) a single - lifetime max is 3. But... I can knock out an acceptable 5-6 on the C+J with the 32's.

So... which option would be perhaps the best adjustment:

A) Stick with the C+P with 28's and adjust the rep ranges accordingly? Ideas on rep ranges?

B) Stick with the 5RM stipulation and go with the C+J with 32's?

FWIW: A long-term goal is to work into more pressing/push pressing/jerking with 32's. Squats, TGUs and cleans seem to go fine but I feel quite limited otherwise with pressing movements. Seems like option B would be a good starting point for that (though alters the program, I know, by subbing a ballistic for a grind). On the flip side, I'm just finishing up a good run on an 8-week C+J cycle with 28's. Not sure if progressing with more of the (heavier) same, or taking a different approach, would be more beneficial at the moment.

Any feedback or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

I'd say test where you truly are with your 5RM on C+P and run it as written first. Afterwards you may find that the pressing strength has increased and as a nice little side effect, so has your C+J.

If you can't press, then push press. If you can't push press, then jerk.

Let us know how it works for ya sir! :)

MH - If you can press a pair of 28's for 8, you should be able to press a pair of 32's for about 3-4. You may have some technique issues you need to work on.

In the meantime, I'd do Clean + Push Presses, where you work on the active negative and pull the KBs back into the rack under control instead of dropping them and catching them with your legs.

Hope that helps.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom