all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Dry Fighting Weight Results

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ShawnyUT

Level 7 Valued Member
Greetings all,

I have wrapped up a month of Geoff Neupert's “Dry Fighting Weight”: Fat Loss Through Strength | StrongFirst.

Here are my parameters:

1. I ran the program with a pair of 24KG. At the end of a 30 minute session, I did some work on the pull up bar, and a variety of loaded carries. In the last two weeks I would add 30 minutes of walking after.

2. I trained three times a week. On the off days I would walk and play games with my children, but no weight training. I was so torched the day after I couldn't have done anything even if I wanted to.

3. I'm 43 years old. Going in, my goals were to lose some weight and gain some strength. My diet largely consisted of quality meats, fresh vegetables, and not much else. I lost 7lbs without calorie restriction.

4. Results:

Week 1 Total Reps:
Cleans: 136
Press: 85
Front Squat: 79

Week 4 Total Reps:
Cleans: 177 (+41)
Press: 131 (+46)
Front Squat: 121 (+42)

5. Review
I was quite happy with how the month played out. The load and time stayed consistent, but I did see a significant improvement in volume/density. The first two weeks were very difficult. My elbows were sore and my left knee was sore. I instituted some corrective stretching, and really concentrated on my form. By week three, the tendons felt better. Not sure if that was due to tendons improving, my corrective work, or just getting better; probably all of the above.

I saw great muscle growth, particularly in the pecs, shoulders, biceps, triceps, quads, and lats. At 43, my arms have never looked better.

6. Now what? I'm a happy the program is over. It was challenging, and having an end date really forced me to push. But I did so responsibly, never missed a rep, and never got sloppy. For the rest of the year I'm going to take it down a notch. Going into what Dan John calls "Park Bench" workouts. In January, I will try another doubles program from Neupert's More Kettlebell Muscle.

I highly recommend you give double KB programs a try. Double clean, press, and front squats are hard, but they pay big dividends. Not only was I happy with the physical results, but mentally I was invigorated.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the results!

Just started it on Saturday. Used 55's for the press and 70's for the squat. I was glad the 30 minutes was up. Thought about doing 10 sets of 10 double as a finisher, thought passed.

Today I did the sets of 1. Used 70's for both. Haven't tried to press double 70's this year. Did 16 sets of 1, hopefully it's a. carryover from doing the 6 day a week pressing from Kettlebell Muscle. My form and tension felt SO locked in today. Honestly didn't struggle with any reps. I did do the 10 sets of double swings after. Felt great.

Last edited:
Greetings all,

I have wrapped up a month of Geoff Neupert's https://www.strongfirst.com/dry-fighting-weight/.

Here are my parameters:

1. I ran the program with a pair of 24KG. At the end of a 30 minute session, I did some work on the pull up bar, and a variety of loaded carries. In the last two weeks I would add 30 minutes of walking after.

2. I trained three times a week. On the off days I would walk and play games with my children, but no weight training. I was so torched the day after I couldn't have done anything even if I wanted to.

3. I'm 43 years old. Going in, my goals were to loose some weight and gain some strength. My diet largely consisted of quality meats, fresh vegetables, and not much else. I lost 7lbs without calorie restriction.

4. Results:

Week 1
Cleans: 136
Press: 85
Front Squat: 79

Week 4
Cleans: 177 (+41)
Press: 131 (+46)
Front Squat: 121 (+42)

5. Review
I was quite happy with how the month played out. The load and time stayed consistent, but I did see a significant improvement in volume/density. The first two weeks were very difficult. My elbows were sore and my left knee was sore. I instituted some corrective stretching, and really concentrated on my form. By week three, the tendons felt better. Not sure if that was due to tendons improving, my corrective work, or just getting better; probably all of the above.

I saw great muscle growth, particularly in the pecs, shoulders, biceps, triceps, quads, and lats. At 43, my arms have never looked better.

6. Now what? I'm a happy the program is over. It was challenging, and having an end date really forced me to push. But I did so responsibly, never missed a rep, and never got sloppy. For the rest of the year I'm going to take it down a notch. Going into what Dan John calls "Park Bench" workouts. In January, I will try another doubles program from Neupert's More Kettlebell Muscle.

I highly recommend you give double KB programs a try. Double clean, press, and front squats are hard, but they pay big dividends. Not only was I happy with the physical results, but mentally I was invigorating.

@ShawnyUT

Excellent work!

Thanks for the write-up. I’ve been lining this up after I complete Simple. Didn’t realize it would be such a taxing program on 3 days of work. But after a year of S&S, I’ll be ready for a change of pace.

Question @ShawnyUT...what was your 5RM with the 24’s at the start of the program?

Thank you Geoff. Your work has proven to be very inspirational. I've been stagnant for too long, and I've been renergized by DFW. I purchased MKM from you a few weeks ago. Going to rest for a while before I give it a go.

There is something magical about the double clean and press and the double front squat.

Glad to help!

Let me know if you have any questions about MKM.

@oukeith1
Prior to starting the program, I could knock out 8 presses without too much issue (one side, not doubles). Do not underestimate the double clean. If you are accustomed to just single cleans to set up a press, you will be surprised at what a good amount of double cleans feels like. Sneaky.

I competed week 4 on Saturday. I did 49 double clean and presses. That was my last day and my best pressing day of the program.

Day one was Sep 28th. I only managed 30 double clean and presses.

That’s real progress.

I would tell anyone to just try it. You will very quickly figure out if you have the right bell size.

Last point. How awesome is it that the man himself, the patron saint of double kettlebells, Mr. Geoff Neupert, commented on my post?! Thanks for everything Geoff. I want to hang a framed photo of him in my garage gym.

Last edited:
Gotcha. I think I may need to use double 16’s. I can probably get to 10 with them, but less than 5 with the double 24’s. Also did not factor in a clean for every press. This will be keeping my ego in check, I guess....

@oukeith1, my only advice would be to try it out. If you do it with the 16s and don’t feel challenged, then it is too light.
My view is that a DFW session should leave you feeling way more smoked then a S&S session. Like I said above, I didn’t do much on off days because I felt that I really needed the recovery.
But, after a day of rest I was ready to go. Maybe not 100%, but good enough.
In the end it is only 12 real workouts, so what do you have to lose?

I ran it this summer with 24s. Visually it's the best I've ever looked. Granted, I was also time restricted eating, taking creatine and limiting beer consumption.
Right after I managed to press a 40 for the first time (both sides) and owned 10 solid double front squats with 32s. Came out with better body composition and stronger. Thanks Geoff.

I ran it this summer with 24s. Visually it's the best I've ever looked. Granted, I was also time restricted eating, taking creatine and limiting beer consumption.
Right after I managed to press a 40 for the first time (both sides) and owned 10 solid double front squats with 32s. Came out with better body composition and stronger. Thanks Geoff.
You're welcome!
Nice job!

Hell yes. That’s awesome. 10 double front squats with 32s is real work.

Double Clean and Press and Front Squats are big money.

I did some swings with the 32 for the first time since completing DFW and the bell was just exploding out of the hike. I was generating more power than ever.

Not to hijack the thread, but given the tricky nature of selecting bell size, has anyone run this program with a Barbell instead?

Double Clean and Press and Front Squats are big money.

I did some swings with the 32 for the first time since completing DFW and the bell was just exploding out of the hike. I was generating more power than ever.
@ShawnyUT

Nicely done!

Most people don't realize that you can, in my opinion, get stronger on your ballistics not by doing more ballistics, but by doing double FSQs. That's what we did in Oly lifting: Push up the Oly lifts by making the body stronger, primarily through squats.

Problem is: Squats, especially with a pair of KBs, are HARD work!

At some point in the near future, I intend to use DFW’s structure, but doing different movements: front squat to push press (not a thruster) plus pull ups, or Romanian deadlift to row plus dips.

I strongly (pun very much intended) suspect it will be an fruitful, interesting journey.

It required a colossal effort.

Something really clicked for me near the end of the program. Realized how much more effort I had to put into bracing hard and finding ways to shore up any leaks. Stuff you hear over and over but in the end have to figure out on your own by focused practice.

Did my first Workout yesterday. Started conservative with the weight 2x24erKb.
Total Reps in the 30 Min frame.
Clean=74
Press=54
FSQ=48
Good work, but those numbers don't seem to add up.

Day 1 is ladders of 1,2,3. So if you did 54 press reps, that's 9 complete ladders. Even if you didn't have time to do the last FSQ set, that should be only 3 reps less than the press reps, not 6 less.

Were you alternating complete ladders of C&P and complete ladders of FSQ? It should be alternating sets (1 C&P, 1 FSQ, 2 C&P, 2 FSQ, etc.), not alternating ladders.

For the cleans, if you did 54 press reps, that's 54 cleans. 48 FSQ reps is 8 ladders of 3 sets each, so 24 sets. With one clean for each set, that's another 24 cleans. 54 + 24 = 78 cleans, not 74. I'm guessing this one is just a calculation error.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom