all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Dry fighting weight what weight

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gary W

Level 5 Valued Member
I want to give this program a go, been meaning to for a while now
I only have 2x16s or 2x24s

What weight would people recommend i start with, i can do 10-12 presses with the 16s and about 4 with the 24s

Im doing 5x5 c&p with a single 24 at the moment
I do getups with the 24
I do front squats with 2x16s

Last edited:
Personally, I would get my front squats up to 24's. before starting this. Your legs should be stronger than your shoulders.

Do front squats with 24's. Ladders, 1,2,3 or
Start with 10 sets of 1 once you succeed,
10 sets of 2, then
10 sets of 3. Keep going until you can do 10 x 5.

3 x a week.

Hi thanks, i can do 2x24 front squat just not at the moment probably 6-8 reps not really tested

Last edited:
My bad, I misread it. I saw you're doing a single 24.

DFW says 5 rep max for presses and not to grind.

I would do ladders of 1,2,3 with double 24's and get stronger, unless you're going to invest in 20's and with everyone out of stock, by the time you'd get them, the 24's will be your 5 rep max.

What I would recommend

Run the first phase of KB Strong..

Then retest your double 24 c and p RM..

I'm sure you'll have a 5TRM so you're more than ready for DFW

I'm currently in week 3 of Dry Fighting Weight. I'm using a pair of 24s and it is an a#@ kicker. I'm certainly not an expert but consider the following:

Have you tried to complete one of the workouts with the 16s? If you have never done a double KB program, you may be surprised at the challenge. I know I was.

Try to do the first workout and see what happens. If you can easily complete 30-40 reps of the clean & press and the next day feel like you can do it again, than the weight is too light. If you get to somewhere between 20-30 reps of the clean & press, are challenged and have to push to complete, but never miss a rep, the weight may be correct. The next day you should feel fatigued in your entire body and not feel like you could repeat the same workout. However after a day of rest, you should be good to go. If that is the case, you likely have the correct weight.

With that said, I'm 43 years old, so I may not be able to recover as quickly as you.

Not to be a jerk, but I don't think you are ready to do DFW with 24s. I hope that you prove me wrong.

I encourage you to pursuit a double KB program. They are a revelation.

Last edited:
Am i correct that kettlebell strong is just clean and press work?

Edit ive just read it

I like it, i like the plan b option.
Not sure how i feel about not doing squats though!

Last edited:
I'm currently in week 3 of Dry Fighting Weight. I'm using a pair of 24s and it is an a#@ kicker. I'm certainly not an expert but consider the following:

Have you tried to complete one of the workouts with the 16s? If you have never done a double KB program, you may be surprised at the challenge. I know I was.

Try to do the first workout and see what happens. If you can easily complete 30-40 reps of the clean & press and the next day feel like you can do it again, than the weight is too light. If you get to somewhere between 20-30 reps of the clean & press, are challenged and have to push to complete, but never miss a rep, the weight may be correct. The next day you should feel fatigued in your entire body and not feel like you could repeat the same workout. However after a day of rest, you should be good to go. If that is the case, you likely have the correct weight.

With that said, I'm 43 years old, so I may not be able to recover as quickly as you.

Not to be a jerk, but I don't think you are ready to do DFW with 24s. I hope that prove me wrong.

I encourage you to pursuit a double KB program. They are a revelation.
Im not sure i am either tbh, i done armour building for a few weeks and it definitely beat me up abit i done
mon 5 sets wed 3 sets fri 4 sets
What im concerned about going with the 16s is loosing any pressing strength ive gained with the 24s
Im also 40 and dont recover as fast

Last edited:
Gary two points to consider:

1. Dan John says that strength gained the honest way (i.e. through hard work, and not via PEDs) tends to stay with us a long time.

2. You are the architect of your own fitness. So if you want to give it a go with 24s, do it! If it is beyond your capability, you will know.

Im not sure i am either tbh, i done armour building for a few weeks and it definitely beat me up abit i done
mon 5 sets wed 3 sets fri 4 sets
What im concerned about going with the 16s is loosing any pressing strength ive gained with the 24s
Im also 40 and dont recover as fast

My man Shawny is right, you may not be ready to do it with the 24's. And that is perfectly ok.

Gary, if you run it with the 16's, and do a LOT of reps, you know what going to happen? Your form is going to get significantly better, you might get some hypertrophy, and the form will carry over to the heavier weights.

Though, I agree, if you don't practice with a heavy weight, you lose it. If the 16's are too light, you can grease the groove on off days with the 24's.

The Chinese food article on the website is a great grease the groove program for the double press

Am i correct that kettlebell strong is just clean and press work?

Edit ive just read it

I like it, i like the plan b option.
Not sure how i feel about not doing squats though!
You can still do a couple of sets of squats, such as 2 sets of 5, at the end of phase 1 KB Strong sessions.

For reference, what other products of Geoff do you have at your disposal?

There are some other options you can take as well to get you ready to use DFW aside from the one given to you here

Definitely start with kettlebell strong..

Thanks, i think i will!
I'll start 6 weeks of the plan B on Monday, reading the article it looks like the press increases by 5 reps over the 6 weeks from 10x2 to 5x5...am i reading correctly?

Forgive me for being clueless but a google search brings up a book or pdf or something no longer available, this is the link ive been looking at and just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing Getting Brutally Strong with Double Kettlebells in Kettlebell STRONG! | StrongFirst

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom