all posts post new thread

Barbell Early Knee Lock

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JeffC

Level 7 Valued Member
Do you think of the Sumo Deadlift as two phases with the knees locking out first then wedging the hips under?

Or...

Do you think of the Sumo Deadlift as one Pull with the knees and hips locking simultaneously or close to it?

I am relatively new to Sumo and have been playing with both styles. Currently think I am more suited to the “early knee lockout” style Sumo Deadlift.

Last edited:
I am not sure what you mean. I don't see how the knees can be locked prior to hip extension unless someone is doing a stiff legged deadlift.

When I do a tough set it tends to happen simultaneously on the earlier, easier reps, and the harder it gets, the more the knees tend to lock out before. I'm not sure if it's unavoidable or rather just a weakness in the legs, or should I think strength in the back.

But I think the early knee lockout is something to fight against, as if it happens too early it is very likely the weight shifts forward.

Using the early knee lock is more of a “leg press” technique. The lift is broken up into two pulls. The knees extend while maintaining back angle, or close to it, then the hips finish the lift in the second pull.

If you have strong lats to keep the bar tight to the body and strong quads to press to lockout I can see this style as an advantage for certain positional strengths and leverages.

Obviously the lifter will have to be proportioned and flexible enough to start the lift with a very vertical torso. Someone with greater flexibility to get the hips closest to the bar could benifit.

If you have a narrower stanc, higher hip, hinge, less squatty style Sumo Deadlift I see more advantages to the one pull. If you Sumo very conventional, with a lot of back off the floor the “early knee lock” will certainly be weaker.

Coming from a Weightlifting background I like to think about evolutions in technique.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom