all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed EASY MUSCLE (Geoff Neupert)

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
It’s been around 4 months since release, by now surely many have finished the program… anyone out there care to post their thoughts that hasn’t already? I’ve sifted through this entire thread and there’s only a handful.

Specifically, I’d be interested in hearing from those who’ve spent time with MKM, DFW or Giant and ranking/comparing their effectiveness, difficulty, and ease of completing. Any takers?

I purchased it last night. It’s very much worth the $39 price tag. Video instructions on non-kettlebell and kettlebell movements, Giant-ish program, Giant + squat and body weight program, and Swing + bodyweight program. Schedule B is the answer to all the questions of how to add squats and chin ups to the Giant. Schedule C is for those who have a problem going overhead. All auto regulated and geared towards the busy middle aged crowd. Easily adaptable to any equipment. You don’t have to do the programs in order. Super cool idea. Seems like something you can do forever.
Which program is this ☝and is it downloadable onto phone? Link if possible.. thank you!!

Quick question about the eccentric phase of the grinding movements.

Is there a time I should be shooting for?

I tend to do my pull up and dip eccentric for about 4 seconds, out of habit from other calisthenic approaches. I suppose a faster eccentric would increase my total volume.

Today's session specified 6 reps per exercise. So with my 4-sec. eccentric, a set of 6 pull ups, rest dictated by auto regulation, then a set of 6 dips took up almost 5 min. combined. I ended up doing only 3 sets of each exercise in the 20-min. period, which is a drop in volume compared to the previous push-pull session.

I rewatched the dip and chinup demos for Easy Muscle. Coach Geoff is definitely not doing a 4-sec. eccentric. :D. Maybe that's the answer right there.

Last edited:
I can't edit the previous post, but correction to previous post:

What to do if you cannot put in 3 days (non-consecutive, per Easy Muscle guidelines) of training within a given week - regardless of the reason(s). I previously posted what I have been doing, but am open to suggestions from Geoff Neupert.
What I always do is if I missed 1 out of 3 days in a week, I'll just continue to the next week schedule and consider that week done (albeit partially). But if I missed 2 out of 3 days in a week I will restart that week schedule next week.
I feel it's good enough for me without stressing too much about "discipline", because, you know, life happens.

To be honest the rep scheme in 1.2 scared me .
But now that I'm on last week of 1.1 it seems less daunting.
I might run 1.2 with the 'guardrails' and extra exercise a la Schedule A after this.

I have a single 20kg which I used for Giant 3.0 and it's my 7-8RM now. Might need to wait a week for my second 20kg to make it a pair for schedule B.
Thanks to @Hrungnir and @Geoff Neupert for recommending me finishing The Giant series with 1.2 first.
I'm on last week of The Giant 1.2 and 9 reps feels "normal" instead of daunting as I felt before 1.2.
What helps me with my mental fatigue is doing the 9 reps count as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, somehow it helps.
Can't wait to finish this week and retest my 10RM bells, then proceed to Easy Muscle.

Which program is this ☝and is it downloadable onto phone? Link if possible.. thank you!!
I think he is talking about Easy Muscle:
https://go.chasingstrength.com/easy-muscle-pra2/

This program consist of PDFs that you can download to your phone and Instructional Videos that you can watch online from your phone.
What I do is just download the PDF and watch the video from my laptop when needed.

I tend to do my pull up and dip eccentric for about 4 seconds, out of habit from other calisthenic approaches. I suppose a faster eccentric would increase my total volume.

Today's session specified 6 reps per exercise. So with my 4-sec. eccentric, a set of 6 pull ups, rest dictated by auto regulation, then a set of 6 dips took up almost 5 min. combined. I ended up doing only 3 sets of each exercise in the 20-min. period, which is a drop in volume compared to the previous push-pull session.

I rewatched the dip and chinup demos for Easy Muscle. Coach Geoff is definitely not doing a 4-sec. eccentric. :D. Maybe that's the answer right there.
To be honest that’s still, what, 35 seconds per set? (Unless you’re pausing/slowing down substantially elsewhere too). That means you did your first set of the day with 4+ in the tank, then rested 4 minutes before doing your next set?

Too long of a rest, in my experience a 10RM you should be able to do a couple sets of 6 in less time. Especially considering you’re alternating movements too so it’s not the same muscles involved.

Were your 10RMs based on slow paused reps too? The only explanation I can think of is that you used “normal“ rep speed to get your 10RM then made the movements more difficult by adding the pause, thus no longer a 10RM?

Finished Schedule A today with 2x16kg bells and pullups. Will have a day or 2 off and test my rm with both.

Definitely thickened up my arms and upper back, my technique improved with both lifts, my conditioning has gone up as well.

As for WTH effects, managed a 32kg TGU with both sides, where previously that wasn't possible, 24kg TGU feel much lighter as well.

Thanks again Geoff, I think I'm going to run Giant 1.1 and 1.2 with the 16kgs to take advantage of the extra calories over Xmas!

Finished Schedule A today with 2x16kg bells and pullups. Will have a day or 2 off and test my rm with both.

Definitely thickened up my arms and upper back, my technique improved with both lifts, my conditioning has gone up as well.

As for WTH effects, managed a 32kg TGU with both sides, where previously that wasn't possible, 24kg TGU feel much lighter as well.

Thanks again Geoff, I think I'm going to run Giant 1.1 and 1.2 with the 16kgs to take advantage of the extra calories over Xmas!
Excellent work, @lais817!

Thanks for posting your results.

No. Just keep them controlled.
Yes, it will.

No, I'm definitely not. I don't particularly like slow eccentrics.

Completed Easy Muscle Schedule C this past Friday, then took some tape measurements a couple of days later. Arm diameter increased 2-5% - left arm was a little bigger before Easy Muscle, but now they're the same size. Chest growth was 1.3%. Modest forearm growth, probably from the 2-arm KB swings.

There was also tricep growth, in the section just underneath the shoulder, and the lateral tricep head. Not sure how to measure that, but it's visually obvious.

Despite gains left on the table by doing 4-6 second eccentrics for the first half of the schedule, the program clearly works!

Hopefully in a couple of months, I'll be ready to run Schedule A with double 16kg KBs

Completed Easy Muscle Schedule C this past Friday, then took some tape measurements a couple of days later. Arm diameter increased 2-5% - left arm was a little bigger before Easy Muscle, but now they're the same size. Chest growth was 1.3%. Modest forearm growth, probably from the 2-arm KB swings.

There was also tricep growth, in the section just underneath the shoulder, and the lateral tricep head. Not sure how to measure that, but it's visually obvious.

Despite gains left on the table by doing 4-6 second eccentrics for the first half of the schedule, the program clearly works!

Hopefully in a couple of months, I'll be ready to run Schedule A with double 16kg KBs
Excellent.. what were changes in scale weight??

Slowly working my way into Schedule A from Easy Muscle. Couple questions for whoever wants to give their 2 cents:

- My low back seems to be the my limiting factor when it comes to pacing myself on number of reps/how much rest I give myself. Would you recommend working the program as 1h C+P or 2h C+P? I guess my thought process is 1h = more reps of cleans at a lower weight, while 2h = less reps at a higher weight (1x16 if 1h, 2x16 if 2h).
- Would kb rows be ok as my auxiliary work after C+P? I don't have a pullup bar (too heavy to work at that anyway).
- How many sets would someone typically shoot for in week one of schedule A?

Thanks!

Slowly working my way into Schedule A from Easy Muscle. Couple questions for whoever wants to give their 2 cents:

- My low back seems to be the my limiting factor when it comes to pacing myself on number of reps/how much rest I give myself. Would you recommend working the program as 1h C+P or 2h C+P? I guess my thought process is 1h = more reps of cleans at a lower weight, while 2h = less reps at a higher weight (1x16 if 1h, 2x16 if 2h).
- Would kb rows be ok as my auxiliary work after C+P? I don't have a pullup bar (too heavy to work at that anyway).

Thanks!
When you say tour low back is the limiting factor, hows your form on the cleans? I find if I try and clean a heavy (for me) weight then the low back definitely gets more of a workout, probably due to not being used to the weight/form for that weight not being great. Don't have any issues with a 10rm (C+P) weight though.

When you say tour low back is the limiting factor, hows your form on the cleans? I find if I try and clean a heavy (for me) weight then the low back definitely gets more of a workout, probably due to not being used to the weight/form for that weight not being great. Don't have any issues with a 10rm (C+P) weight though.
Hmmm well I guess what I mean is in the past I’ve tried S+S and neupert programs before. And usually I feel a pretty strong pump in my low back performing cleans, swings or snatches.

Historically that has sometimes progressed after several workouts or several weeks into back pain, causing me to take long breaks and ultimately fall off the program prior to completing it.

Since starting back up roughly 2 weeks ago, I haven’t officially started easy muscle but I’m doing those exercises and just trying to build work capacity to get ready to jump into it for real. I don’t have any back pain, but my low back is feeling a strong pump from the cleans. The presses are very low effort comparatively.

So after typing this all out, to answer your question, my form is probably not the greatest

Thanks!
2H. Emphasise keeping your abs braced for every rep.

Thanks!
If you feel safer done single bell presses, do them

Modified gorilla rows would be my recommendation

Hmmm well I guess what I mean is in the past I’ve tried S+S and neupert programs before. And usually I feel a pretty strong pump in my low back performing cleans, swings or snatches.

Historically that has sometimes progressed after several workouts or several weeks into back pain, causing me to take long breaks and ultimately fall off the program prior to completing it.

Since starting back up roughly 2 weeks ago, I haven’t officially started easy muscle but I’m doing those exercises and just trying to build work capacity to get ready to jump into it for real. I don’t have any back pain, but my low back is feeling a strong pump from the cleans. The presses are very low effort comparatively.

So after typing this all out, to answer your question, my form is probably not the greatest

Since you want to do Schedule A, if I were you I would take video of myself doing a single KB clean, press, and clean-and-press, then compare to the videos of Geoff and his students doing the same moves. These should be the videos provided with Easy Muscle.

Maybe write a checklist of the cues for the clean and the press, and go through the checklist as you analyze video of yourself.

If you want to do double KB C&P, I read elsewhere that Geoff advises walking with both KBs racked as part of your transition from single to double KB work.

In the FAQ the answer to "5. Can I do { INSERT EXERCISE OF CHOICE HERE } along with ‘EASY MUSCLE’?" indicates that you can do Pull Ups, Squats, or Rows along with Schedule A. But also note the warning that inserting extra exercises might impact your recovery. Your muscle growth actually happens during recovery. The exercise is just a stimulus. With your back history, OS Dead Bug might be the best choice of auxiliary exercise.

If you bought Manly Mobility along with Easy Muscle, you would be doing OS Dead Bug as part of the mobility routine. There, you are also advised to work up to 4 sets of 25.

Back
Top Bottom