all posts post new thread

Barbell Easy Strength 40 Workout Program Vs. 40 Workout Strength Challenge

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Dan M

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello All, I'm sorry if this is a duplicate discussion but I couldn't find this when I searched. I want to start the 40 day Easy Strength program from the book, but I've seen a different version here (The 40-Workout Strength Challenge | T Nation) with more information on sets and reps by day. I'm drawn to the latter for the programming specificity, but the exercise setup seems more taxing than the original 40 day workout.

So two questions -- can I combine the original exercise recommendations with the programming specifics of the strength challenge, and second, if I'm training Judo twice a week for 1.5 hours, are the strength challenge exercise recommendations of Press/Deadlift/Squat too taxing to be combined with my other training?

I'd appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

@Dan M Yes to your first question.....It depends to your second question. IMO, if you are using the strength work to support the judo then it will more than likely work bc your lifting intensity will remain low. The lifting will be more like accessory work.
On the flip side, In order to progress on the strength side over the 40 days you will be interfering with recovery periods by adding judo practice.

@Dan M Yes to your first question.....It depends to your second question. IMO, if you are using the strength work to support the judo then it will more than likely work bc your lifting intensity will remain low. The lifting will be more like accessory work.
On the flip side, In order to progress on the strength side over the 40 days you will be interfering with recovery periods by adding judo practice.
Thanks! I'm intending to line them up with my judo practice so I've got two days off completely to help with recovery.

Hi @Dan M,
I did two 2-week cycles of the 40-day workout (in the strength challenge format) separated by 2 weeks of S&S. I did it while playing beach volleyball as my main sport. It worked well but you have to find a way to account for the added volume from Judo and recovery.

In the first 2 week I played little beach volleyball with no problem, but in the second cycle I played allot and couldn't recover properly. My advice is keep the weight lighter than you think. Don't do the heavy days just because they are scheduled, make sure you are feel ready for them and have time to recover for Judo.

Think of it as a form of S&S with a barbell, next time I'll use it I'll keep that in mind as well ;). It should assists your Judo and by no means should retract from it. It's not about how much work you can do, but how much you can recover from.

What is your focus, the Judo or the strength training? If you find that you're getting tired from Judo, then just dial back the strength a little bit. As Dan says in the article, "Go as light as you need to go". And, you might be better off just going with the straight 2x5 every day. That allows you to really just play it by ear and see how you are feeling. This follows along with Shahaf's advice.

If you find that you're having trouble hitting lifts or that you're tired from the workouts then go easier. It's called easy strength for a reason, so you really should be leaving the workouts feeling more refreshed than when you started. Two days of Judo is not that much extra, so I'm sure you can find a way to balance them.

Hello,

Could it be an overtraining symptom ?

You could either lift a little bit less (lighter and or reduce strength training frequency) or use a deload week or have a full break for a few days.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom