all posts post new thread

Barbell Easy Strength Exercise Selection

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
If I can't squat and deadlift in the same workout then maybe I could alternate squats and deadlifts every other month.

Maybe do military presses and pullups during my deadlift month and military presses and bent rows during my squat month.

What do you think about that?

I like it. Give it a go and see what happens. If I was in a proper gym, I'd try a trap bar DL, since it's a little of both. As it is, my new routine isn't really Easy Strength according to DJ, but I think it will apply well to MTB.

In any case, report back what you discover.

You could do, that however I would suggest 2 week blocks. In ROTK Pavel says that 2 weeks is about were you want to be when alternating focuses. a month may make you rusty at whatever skill your doing. 2 weeks is aparently enough to make gains in one skill while not loosing your gains in the other.
So 2 weeks military, Pull up and deads followed by 2 weeks of row and squat.

I hate to get pedantic about this, but during the deadlift phase I could do pullups in the hollow position, and during squat phase I could do pullups with chest up to the bar. That way the only loading my spine would get would be from squats and deadlifts and my chest would get a bit more involvement when doing pullups in the hollow position. My scapular retractors would be worked either way.

How about just trying to do the big three and finding out personally if it's too stressful for you or not?

I don't mean to be rude, but there comes a time to stop speculating and to get at it.

How about just trying to do the big three and finding out personally if it's too stressful for you or not?

I don't mean to be rude, but there comes a time to stop speculating and to get at it.
I did the big three yesterday. Maybe you are right. Let it run its course and find out.

I've gotten a few likes on this thread. Thank you for the support. I have most definitely learned from you guys. Thank you.

When I decide to run a 40 day with the squat, I'll probably use the RDL for my hinge. Those don't seem to conflict much for me. Likewise, with the DL, goblet squats seem to complement well.

^This reminds me of a video of Gray Cook suggesting it may be best to train closer to pure hinge and upright squat rather than training a squatty deadlift and hinge-heavy squat. This is the opposite of what a lot of powerlifters would want to do (because they want as much carry over between the lifts as possible). Seems like that may help keep the lifts from from interfering with each other too much in an easy strength format.

^This reminds me of a video of Gray Cook suggesting it may be best to train closer to pure hinge and upright squat rather than training a squatty deadlift and hinge-heavy squat. This is the opposite of what a lot of powerlifters would want to do (because they want as much carry over between the lifts as possible). Seems like that may help keep the lifts from from interfering with each other too much in an easy strength format.

Would that be more like front squats and RDL?

Would that be more like front squats and RDL?
Yeah, I think that's the idea. Go deep and vertical in the squat, hinge deep like conventional deadlift. RDL takes it even farther, but he doesn't mean to go to the point of near isolation of hamstrings like straight leg deadlift or something. The way Pavel teaches conventional deadlift is like that ideal hinge. Knees drift slightly forward based on body shape and proportions but with the intentionality of vertical shins.

He also goes on to say not everyone (like non-athletes looking for general benefits of getting strong but not for specific performance) needs to train the squat heavy. Maintain the squat, train the hinge. So Easy Strength involving a big pull with goblet squats in warmup meets both of these criteria. Maintain a deep, pure squat, train a big powerful hinge.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think that's the idea. Go deep and vertical in the squat, hinge deep like conventional deadlift. RDL takes it even farther, but he doesn't mean to go to the point of near isolation of hamstrings like straight leg deadlift or something. The way Pavel teaches conventional deadlift is like that ideal hinge. Knees drift slightly forward based on body shape and proportions but with the intentionality of vertical shins.

He also goes on to say not everyone (like non-athletes looking for general benefits of getting strong but not for specific performance) needs to train the squat heavy. Maintain the squat, train the hinge. So Easy Strength involving a big pull with goblet squats in warmup meets both of these criteria. Maintain a deep, pure squat, train a big powerful hinge.

I trained low bar back squat, military press and deadlifts last Friday with weights that are heavy for me, 3x3 for all movements. Felt great. Tried to duplicate it yesterday and definitely felt it in my back.

That said, I am going to try doing moderately heavy front squats for two sets of 5, and then ES working sets of military press, deadlifts and pullups. I will wave the load.

I don’t know if I have heard the part about how a non athlete that wants to stay strong doesn’t necessarily need a big squat, but maintain the squat and build a big hinge. But, that concept plays directly into double kettles. With double Kettlebells you will never squat as much as with a barbell but you can maintain the squat, and build as much hinge and press as any mortal man needs.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom