all posts post new thread

Programming Improv Easy Strength five days in a row?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

SherdenSeaman

Level 1 Valued Member
The gym I train at won't open on weekends. The other ones in my area are either too expensive or too far away for my budget and schedule. Would it be safe for me to train five days in a row while being careful to take it very easy and not rushing the overload? Or should I de-load after a third day or so?

So far, I'm already feeling some strain on my joints (bicep tendon and hand pain mostly), although nothing serious that may also be explained by the change in weather (it's autumn in my hemisphere) and my bad sleeping due to some work schedule issues.

This is my third week. My first one went on without problems, on the second I only trained 4 days, one being only comprised of deadlifting. I made some good progress by now, but I'd like to prevent any potential injuries I may not see coming.

It's hard to respond not knowing what exactly your programming is. It's definitely possible to train five times a week - many Pavel programs, such as PTTP, NW or S&S prescribe that or even more.

I can't recall if it is specified as 5 days in a row or 5 days in a week, but easy strength and even easier strength are definitely designed for 5 days a week lifting. I am currently doing a program that calls for 7 days a week, and so far so good. I think if the intensity and reps are appropriate, it should work well but of course if you feel you are over doing it you can always back off a little.

I train daily, specifically overhead pressing work of body weight and weight variations. I also do (5)x2 of squats, deadlift and weighted pull up as many days a week as my time/energy allow. What I have learned having done this since the start of the year is that high frequency training is an exercise in sustainability and patience.

- you have to feel out each day. If you’re feeling kind of tired, use a lighter weight than last time. If the first set feels really easy, add weight to the second set. If something feels “off,” cut the set short. You’re doing it (or trying to) the next day anyway.

- a big part of high frequency training is that once you’ve done it for a few weeks, you start to know real quick if you’re using too much load. The good thing about this is that since you’re lifting 5 days a week, there’s no real need to lift the same weights/reps every session. You can do light days because it’s extra practice and works like active recovery. You’re going to do the same lifts the next day anyway, so there’s nothing to be lost in doing so.

Would it be safe for me to train five days in a row while being careful to take it very easy and not rushing the overload? Or should I de-load after a third day or so?

So far, I'm already feeling some strain on my joints (bicep tendon and hand pain mostly), although nothing serious that may also be explained by the change in weather (it's autumn in my hemisphere) and my bad sleeping due to some work schedule issues.

The short answer is yes, as long as you aren’t consistently sore and/or tired. My two cents here is to just back off on the load you’re using. In the easy strength book, it is recommended to back off whenever you set a new PR. Similarly, if you feel you’re not recovering, just reduce the weight you’re using. It’ll work like active recovery between sessions where you can use more weight.

The joint strain may be coming from various factors as well, as you said. If reducing load doesn’t work, you may need to switch exercises or look into some prehab work.

I’ve done plenty of 5, 6 and 7 day programs and the key is to care less about what you’re lifting today and more about what you’re lifting tomorrow. This can be described as humility - recovery is the priority not the sets and reps to match your ego. On a five consecutive day program you have some scope to go heavier on days 1 and 5.

It's hard to respond not knowing what exactly your programming is. It's definitely possible to train five times a week - many Pavel programs, such as PTTP, NW or S&S prescribe that or even more.
Here's the program I'm following:

Similar to what bluejeff describes. So far, yeah, I may have to reduce my loads today.

I train daily, specifically overhead pressing work of body weight and weight variations. I also do (5)x2 of squats, deadlift and weighted pull up as many days a week as my time/energy allow. What I have learned having done this since the start of the year is that high frequency training is an exercise in sustainability and patience.

- you have to feel out each day. If you’re feeling kind of tired, use a lighter weight than last time. If the first set feels really easy, add weight to the second set. If something feels “off,” cut the set short. You’re doing it (or trying to) the next day anyway.

- a big part of high frequency training is that once you’ve done it for a few weeks, you start to know real quick if you’re using too much load. The good thing about this is that since you’re lifting 5 days a week, there’s no real need to lift the same weights/reps every session. You can do light days because it’s extra practice and works like active recovery. You’re going to do the same lifts the next day anyway, so there’s nothing to be lost in doing so.

The short answer is yes, as long as you aren’t consistently sore and/or tired. My two cents here is to just back off on the load you’re using. In the easy strength book, it is recommended to back off whenever you set a new PR. Similarly, if you feel you’re not recovering, just reduce the weight you’re using. It’ll work like active recovery between sessions where you can use more weight.

The joint strain may be coming from various factors as well, as you said. If reducing load doesn’t work, you may need to switch exercises or look into some prehab work.
How would you recommend progressing on weighted carries? Just increasing or decreasing the distance + adding or taking out stops?

The gym I train at won't open on weekends. The other ones in my area are either too expensive or too far away for my budget and schedule. Would it be safe for me to train five days in a row while being careful to take it very easy and not rushing the overload? Or should I de-load after a third day or so?
I suggest you start a training log here, and post the specifics of what you're doing each day as well as how you're feeling. People here will then have a lot more information with which to work when advising you.

-S-

How would you recommend progressing on weighted carries? Just increasing or decreasing the distance + adding or taking out stops?
They don't need to be progressed, Dan John recommends never doing the same thing twice. Today you may do waiter carries, so go "there" with the left hand and back with the right. Tomorrow you may do Zercher carry for 50m as fast as possible. The next day maybe farmers walks "there" and back. When asked where "there" is, Dan's answer is, "you'll know when you get there."

Where are you doing your carries? inside, or going for a walk? I'm in week 4 of walkies (1/week) and progressed as follows each week:

1. carried my 12kg bell in suitcase carry, switching hands when I pass each street-pole.
- walked from my nearest corner, to the next street corner (300m) and back. I was always close to home.
- 3 laps = 2.4km non-stop
- also carried in rack and press(very little press) positions
- about 22min walk
2. added another lap to the same route, 3km (<30min)
3. added another lap. 3.6km (<30min)
4. this week I'm out of town with my KB, walked around the block 4 laps = 4.3km. lots of press, some rack, lots of suitcase. (<55minutes)
5. My stated target was a 5km walkie then step up to 16kg...I'll take a nice long walk around my 'hood next week, no need to stay close to home anymore.
6. I'll start with the 16kg in 2weeks at step 1 above. I may push more laps if I can, or rotate laps between 16and12 each time I pass home, or something for a smooth step-up.

This is my entire workout for the day. I get in a number of swings and cleans along the route, and plan to snatch as well.

If you’re doing them daily, it’s more about letting how you feel dictate when you add load or distance or whatever. If you’re doing them o it a few times a week, you can use more structured programming (ie adding load every few weeks, or cutting your time down, or adding distance).

When I add load to the bar, it’s usually based on the feeling that what I’ve been lifting had been going up smooth for a while. So I add 5-10lbs (depending on the lift), just enough to tell it’s a bit heavier. I would approach frequent carries similarly. When it starts to feel “easy” change it up.

I second @BJJ Shawn in using a variety of carries as well.

+1 to auto-regulation for carries.

Especially if you're mixing up different types of carries (farmer, waiter, suitcase, etc), and different time/distance, there are just too many variables to bother with structured programming unless you're competing for strongman.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom