all posts post new thread

Easy Strength+Wim Hof Method

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Week 1 of block two wasn't the best training week, and I did a poor job of recording my sessions. Moving forward.

14/12/17

No WHM this morning

Training intention: stop rushing. Have some fun lifting and enjoy being present.

Arm bars, windmills, rolled T spine
BP 135x5/2
DL 315x5/2
BSQT 225x5/2
Peg board up and down x1 for my pulling option today.
BU carry 16kg x1+1
Double swing 24kgx6 EMOTM x8 rounds

What did I learn today? Fabio' s "become one with the bar" BSQT cue popped into my head and was very helpful today.

Do I feel stronger than I did before training? Yes.

Did I achieve my intention? Yes.

15/12/17

No WHM
Grip 135/140 Feeling strong

WHM breathing x30/4
No cold shower, it doesnt get cold enough here. I may have to just put up with the annoying comments and glances and just take a swim in the ocean tomorrow.

Training intention: Be present

BSQT 225/5/2
DL 315 x5/2
BP 135x5/2
Pull up x5 end range doesnt feel great on my bicep/shoulder
Double 24kg swing x6 EMOTM x8min
BU walk 20kg 1+1

Did I acheive my intention? Yes
Do I feel stronger than before training? Yes

What did I learn today? Use the "volume drill" for double swings. I, like a lot of my students have a tendency to swing "harder" than necessary to "control" the bells. It turns out that relaxing actually made my swing more powerful.

16/12/17

6 singles today. Worked up to the following powerlifts:
BSQT 335
DL 405 conventional, then went for a 425 and 455 sumo
BP 205, failed a rep at 215 for my 4th single. Glad I had a spot because I really didn't expect that!

Bottoms up walk 24kg 1+1
Double 28kg swing x5/5

Do I feel stronger than before my training session? Yes.
What did I learn today? Toes straight forward gives me a stronger conventional pull and better positions. (I had been pulling with my toes out, somewhat "duck footed" because it felt more natural)

17/12/17

1x10 today. Quick in and out.

BSQT 205
DL 225
BP 135
Bodyweight tactical pull ups
Swing 32x10, double 20kg x10, 5 lots of rest between sets
BU walk 24kg 1+1

Some of those sets felt like cardio!

Do I feel stronger than I did before training? No, I feel a little burnt out. Definitely did not eat or sleep enough last night.
What did I learn today? Eat and sleep more.

Lost a post that I thought was saved. Anyhow a quick update, I've been home in Saskatoon for a week now, and have been doing a cold bath or shower daily. It was really hard to get back into it after 3 weeks off, but now I'm back to where I feel "off" if I don't have my cold exposure. I didnt want to get out of bed this morning but after 3 rounds of breathing and a short second ice bath I feel great!

I've dropped in for a couple lifts at out local courage corner. Lauren and I decided to "wrestle the kettlebell" on Saturday. One all out set of unbroken 2 hand swings to check work capacity. 16kg for Lauren 24kg for me. I did this the week prior to starting to Easy Strength, and managed 54 swings, this time I managed 67. Not as much improvement as I had hoped but it is nice to see that improving my absolute strength is still improving work capacity.

Back to Victoria for another 3 weeks on Saturday, I will adjust my programming to be more KB dominant so that I can train with my own bells at home or outside and hopefully avoid the commercial gym woes I had last time.

Happy New Year!

05/01/17

WHM breathing x30/3
Cold bath x30 breaths.
Lately I've been working on not "jumping out" of the tub when I decide that I'm done. Just getting out calmly and not rushing to towel off. The cold exposure really does seem to make my days better. The same way meditation helped when I consistently practiced, however with the cold bath I can get the same effect in 30 seconds that would take me 10 minutes worth of mediation. The cold is so intense you dont have the option of monkey mind.

For training, I've switched things up. I'll be traveling back to Victoria for work for another 3 weeks and don't expect regular barbell access. I've also been considering my SFG II this spring. After some program shopping I decided the Brett Jones level 2 prep looked like a good fit. I plan on adding a conservative, 1x/wk BST and DL cycle to maintain/build my absolute strength, something I feel was lacking when I did my SFG I.

Today's session:

SFG prep day #1

Prep 20kg TGU 1+1
20kg WM 1+1

Snatch practice:
The program called for 24kg snatch x4+4 emotm x16rounds. I respond well to heavy, lower rep training, so I decided to try an experiment and instead did 28kgx5 EMOTM x24 rounds, breathing nose only, and switching hands each set. When this feels easy I will move to 6 on the minute for 20 rounds, then when that is easy I'm actually going to move to 32kgx3 for 40 rounds, adding reps and decreasing rounds until I can hit 32x6 OTM for 20 rounds. Then rinse and repeat.

Doubles Practice:
Didn't have my 24s at home so I used double 20kgs.

TGU 1+1
Swing x10
MP x5
FS x5
CLN x5

3 rounds. Took the full 30 seconds between movements and 2 minutes between rounds.

Do I feel stronger than before training? Yes.
Did I acheive my intention? Forgot to set one.
What did I learn? In my snatches today I learned to "catch" eccentric loading into my legs when falling back into my hinge while snatching. I learned to utilize my hamstrings better. Always "biting" the floor with the feet helps this as well.

06/01/18

Just landed in Victoria. Did my WHM as soon as I checked in to my hotel, I don’t want to get in the habit of skipping my practice again.

Breathing x30/3 first breath hold was 46 seconds, third was 1:10.

Cold shower 2 minutes or so.

Retrieved my single 24kg from my friends house. My back, wrists, and elbows were all a little cranky from yesterday, but instead of skipping training I decided to just do some shoe get ups and about 30 total presses with the 24kg while unpacking. Some ladders, some triples, just gtg essentially.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom