all posts post new thread

Nutrition Eat Bacon don't jog

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
Has anyone read this book. Popped up in an Amazon thread. Downloaded the sample, will read later. Looks like a Keto type approach

This book introduced me to kettlebells, actually! The title caught my eye, and it was a very enjoyable read. It is very similar to Primal Blueprint (Mark’s Daily Apple).

Summed up as: eat meat, vegetables, and good fat, lift heavy things a few times a week, and sprint occasionally.

the author reccomends shorts burst of intense exercise for 3-7 minutes at a time, 3 0r 4 times a week.. i could be wrong but i think thats it

not sure how workouts that are that short will affect everyone

Hello,

the author reccomends shorts burst of intense exercise for 3-7 minutes at a time, 3 0r 4 times a week.. i could be wrong but i think thats it

not sure how workouts that are that short will affect everyone
Would it be some kind of HIIT ? Or even "density training" : maximum number of repetitions in a precise amount of time.

Regarding the intense exercise, here is an interesting link of M. Prevost's website:
Why HIIT does not burn much fat, and why it doesn’t matter – Mike Prevost, PhD

Kind regards,

Pet'

I read it yesterday. Interesting book given the authors background in cycling. He takes quite a tough line on aerobic work particularly running. I have never tried an approach that minimises carbohydrates although I'm sure I would find it challenging as I tend to eat carbs with most lunch and dinners. Good read

Hello,

Would it be some kind of HIIT ? Or even "density training" : maximum number of repetitions in a precise amount of time.

Regarding the intense exercise, here is an interesting link of M. Prevost's website:
Why HIIT does not burn much fat, and why it doesn’t matter – Mike Prevost, PhD

Kind regards,

Pet'

Yes, he even reccomends to do Tabata's if you want. I think the exercise chapter is the most interesting part of this book.

I did 5 minutes of snatches today to test out his theory about gassing yourself in 3-7 minutes .. and I mean I was gassed.. no surprise there..will it get me stronger? don't know..

interesting way to work out none the less

Regarding the intense exercise, here is an interesting link of M. Prevost's website:Why HIIT does not burn much fat, and why it doesn’t matter – Mike Prevost, PhD

Misleading Title

Prevost does a good job in examining the differences between Low Intensity Steady State (LISS) and High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) for burning body fat.

The issue is that the title is a bit misleading; inferring that LISS and HIIT may elicit the same fat burning effect.

As many on this site know, the benefit of the fat burning effect of HIIT is that that your metabolic rate is increased for hours (Days as per Prevost) afterward.

There is a dramatic increases in your metabolic rate after HIIT...

Forget the Fat-Burn Zone

"...the subcutaneous fat loss was ninefold greater in the HIIT program than in the ET (LISS) program." In short, the HIIT group got 9 times more fat-loss benefit for every calorie burned exercising."

LISS, Low Intensity Steady State

As Pervost noted, there is virtually no post metabolic rate increase. Add to that, going for a slow walk burn very few calories. That is one of the reasons over weight individual don't lose weight.

The caveat is that research shows that the metabolic rate of Marathon Runners can remain elevated for days. Thus, some LISS will increase post metabolic rate, when performed long enough.

Phosphagen Energy System

High Intensity Interval Training is reliant on Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP) rather than glycogen.

High Intensity Movements that are less that are less than 30 seconds are dependent on ATP. However, the majority of ATP is depleted in around 15 second of an all out effort.

Glycogen Burned During High Intensity Training

Research by Dr Jake Wilson (formerly with the Human Performance Lab/University of Tampa) determined while glycogen is utilized in High Intensity Interval Sprints, there is a shift to the use of fats for energy...

SNR #82: Dr. Jacob Wilson – Ketogenic Diets, Strength & Body Composition | Sigma Nutrition & Performance

Interval Sprint Training
18:40 seconds

a) Sprint 1: 40% Glycogen.

b) Sprint 6: 9% Glucose, 40% fat.

Multiple Interval Sprints produce the shift to fat oxidation.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
Interval Sprint Training

Kenny Croxdale

I'm not sure how true this statement is. While anaerobic glycolysis contribution does decline with repeated bouts, aerobic glycolysis contributes far more than 9%. Not all oxidative phosphorylation is derived from fat.

Another consideration is total ATP production decreases with repeated bouts as well, oxidative pathways do not provide the same ATP output as the earliest efforts.

Last edited:
Multiple Interval Sprints produce the shift to fat oxidation

They also produce the shift to slowness.
So it depends what the goals are with sprinting.....fatigued states and/or slow running promotes fat oxidation....the polar opposite of sprinting.....if speed is a goal, that is.
All for efficient use of energy but fat for sprinting isn't one of them.

Misleading Title

Prevost does a good job in examining the differences between Low Intensity Steady State (LISS) and High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) for burning body fat.

The issue is that the title is a bit misleading; inferring that LISS and HIIT may elicit the same fat burning effect.

As many on this site know, the benefit of the fat burning effect of HIIT is that that your metabolic rate is increased for hours (Days as per Prevost) afterward.

There is a dramatic increases in your metabolic rate after HIIT...

Forget the Fat-Burn Zone

"...the subcutaneous fat loss was ninefold greater in the HIIT program than in the ET (LISS) program." In short, the HIIT group got 9 times more fat-loss benefit for every calorie burned exercising."

LISS, Low Intensity Steady State

As Pervost noted, there is virtually no post metabolic rate increase. Add to that, going for a slow walk burn very few calories. That is one of the reasons over weight individual don't lose weight.

The caveat is that research shows that the metabolic rate of Marathon Runners can remain elevated for days. Thus, some LISS will increase post metabolic rate, when performed long enough.

Phosphagen Energy System

High Intensity Interval Training is reliant on Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP) rather than glycogen.

High Intensity Movements that are less that are less than 30 seconds are dependent on ATP. However, the majority of ATP is depleted in around 15 second of an all out effort.

Glycogen Burned During High Intensity Training

Research by Dr Jake Wilson (formerly with the Human Performance Lab/University of Tampa) determined while glycogen is utilized in High Intensity Interval Sprints, there is a shift to the use of fats for energy...

SNR #82: Dr. Jacob Wilson – Ketogenic Diets, Strength & Body Composition | Sigma Nutrition & Performance

Interval Sprint Training

Kenny Croxdale

I tried to have a look at the Dr. Wilson interview but I couldn't find it anywhere, not on the Sigma web page you linked, or either in iTunes or Stitcher the web page linked to. Do you have any idea where else I could listen to it?

Here's the breakdown from one study showing total ATP turnover declining over time.

Plenty of other studies have shown improved lactate buffering with longer duration sprinting, as well as improved throughput of mitochondrial pyruvate usage. Fat oxidation rate is relatively steady based on mitochondrial density. Both are examples of oxidative phosphorylation. I too could not listen to the referenced interview, so I have no idea how the contribution of pyruvate was isolated from lipid sources re oxidative ATP production.

a7GTeZS.jpg

I tried to have a look at the Dr. Wilson interview but I couldn't find it anywhere, not on the Sigma web page you linked, or either in iTunes or Stitcher the web page linked to. Do you have any idea where else I could listen to it?

I went to the site but can't pull it up either. I'll see if I can find it on another link.

Kenny Croxdale

Several posts have been deleted from this thread.

Any further replies not in keeping with the Gentlemen and Ladies Only motto of our forum will also be deleted.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom