all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed eating crow...

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

somanaut

Level 5 Valued Member
this a follow up to chronically tight scalenes and general shoulder stiffness/soreness

Will keep it short for now, can elaborate if any interest.

Tried nasal breathing for the past 2 weeks (still use hardstyle when doing strength work), preliminary results are positive, but not definitive. And hard to isolate effects, since I am also taking a boatload of vitamins. But that shouldn't have had an effect yet.

1) Increased perceived restoration after training.
2) Reduced "stress" overall.
3) Decreased fatigue after work.

Will continue nasal breathing, and experiment with easy breath holds down the line.

So yes I was overly dismissive of breathwork.

Define "nasal breathing" please.
Shutting the mouth and simply breathing in and out through the nose. I am not trying to do any kind of other breath work at the moment. I.e. not trying to change duration of breath (and/or holds). This is done through as much of the day as possible:
1) transportation (I walk and take public transport)
2) Work
3) Chores at home (washing dishes etc.)
4) Eating

I still use hardstyle breath style in strength work.

Shutting the mouth and simply breathing in and out through the nose. I am not trying to do any kind of other breath work at the moment. I.e. not trying to change duration of breath (and/or holds). This is done through as much of the day as possible:
1) transportation (I walk and take public transport)
2) Work
3) Chores at home (washing dishes etc.)
4) Eating

I still use hardstyle breath style in strength work.
Thanks for clarification. I find keeping my tongue touching the roof of my mouth essentially eliminates mouth breathing. That's where I parked it when I learned breath meditation and it stuck with me - mouth breathing except on the exhale when speaking or exercising is not healthy.

Thanks for clarification. I find keeping my tongue touching the roof of my mouth essentially eliminates mouth breathing. That's where I parked it when I learned breath meditation and it stuck with me - mouth breathing except on the exhale when speaking or exercising is not healthy.
I was taught the same when I started to do zazen, the tongue is gently touching the roof of the mouth, not pressing hard. And like you I find it easier to keep my mouth closed with that technique, now that I am focused on nasal breathing. My speech pattern has changed, I talk in short burst now, before it was on full auto.

I was taught the same when I started to do zazen, the tongue is gently touching the roof of the mouth, not pressing hard. And like you I find it easier to keep my mouth closed with that technique, now that I am focused on nasal breathing. My speech pattern has changed, I talk in short burst now, before it was on full auto.

Might I suggest adding diaphragmic breathing (versus chest breathing) to having the tongue on the roof of the mouth. Some really nice things can happen with that combination.

Might I suggest adding diaphragmic breathing (versus chest breathing) to having the tongue on the roof of the mouth. Some really nice things can happen with that combination.
Thanks for suggestion. But at the moment, I think that I will leave the breathing alone during work etc., and only do abdominal/diaphagmic during my meditation, which is what I normally do. Also this is one of the things that I was vary of in the previous thread, I just don't see how suggesting abdominal breathing is practical for people at work etc.

Thanks for suggestion. But at the moment, I think that I will leave the breathing alone during work etc., and only do abdominal/diaphagmic during my meditation, which is what I normally do. Also this is one of the things that I was vary of in the previous thread, I just don't see how suggesting abdominal breathing is practical for people at work etc.

I wouldn't separate work, play or training regarding breathing technique. Diaphragm breathing is natural if you train yourself over time, it's our way of breathing from birth.
In MA it's essential and a way of life, it naturally reduces respiration rate and prevents fight or flight response triggered by chest breathing.

From "The Science of Breath" and notes on the "Complete Breath", the chest is the last to expand and the first to deflate. I do mostly abdominal, but for a deep lung-clearing breath the chest is part of the package.

This was my first real primer on breathing and still a good read (though I never was able to astral project):

http://www.arfalpha.com/ScienceOfBreath/ScienceOfBreath.pdf

page 40 LUNG CELL STIMULATION is a great exercise - actually made me a little light-headed the first time I tried it.

Let me try and rephrase my earlier statement:

@Jim Lauerman and @Bret S.; Nose only breathing seems to naturally promote abdominal breathing quite naturally for me personally. Perhaps some of the Buteyko teachers/practitioners could chime in, if that is correct?

Breathing is a very interesting phenomenon, it can both be done consciously and unconsciously. You can change how you breathe, but even when you are not aware of how you breathe, you still breathe. I don't think doing two things at ones is a good idea. When you work you work, focus on your work. Breathe through your nose, let the breathing be as it is. Practise your breath work separately, and in time it will become habit outside if practise.

I see everyday abdominal breathing much the same as I see bracing muscles firing. We practise bracing when lifting in out strength practise. And then we hope that this translates to when we per reflex pick something up. I see a lot of cases of back spasms when people pick up the car keys, not so many when people deadlift heavy. Isn't that how all training and practise works?

I don't think doing two things at ones is a good idea. When you work you work, focus on your work. Breathe through your nose, let the breathing be as it is. Practise your breath work separately, and in time it will become habit outside if practise.

I meant practice where appropriate until you don't have think about it, where it becomes natural, I agree if it's a distraction at work to not do it there. It's not hard to train yourself, it just takes consistent practice as you said.

I meant practice where appropriate until you don't have think about it, where it becomes natural, I agree if it's a distraction at work to not do it there. It's not hard to train yourself, it just takes consistent practice as you said.

^^^^^^This

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom