all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Ebooks vs Hard Copy

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I was a late convert to ebooks and used to be a die in the wool book reader but three factors swayed me, all of which have been mentioned above:
1 Price
2 Portability
3 Speed of Access
In saying all of that, I don't enjoy reading on an e-reader as much as a hard copy. I've recently read three of Cormac Mc Carthy's books and the ebook format doesn't do justice to the style of writing. Most of my Pavel books/SC books are kindle or Ipad format and that's fine: would love a hard copy of S/S or maybe the next book that arrives on the shelves...

80% of what I read is ebooks. I do prefer normal books, but having them delivered to Argentina is not easy and they end up costing 4x.

I also feel that I dont retain as much when reading an ebook. I am just not as focused as when reading paper books.

I work in a digital print shop, we have large print engines that run 40" x 20" wide webs. Sometimes if I come across an interesting article I'll just download and print it, read it later. I know the ebook screens are easier on the eyes than a monitor, but I'm chained to a workstation all day and by quitting time my eyes are pretty blasted for anything but ink (toner) on paper.

I'm chained to a workstation all day and by quitting time my eyes are pretty blasted for anything but ink (toner) on paper.

That's my problem. I spend way too much time staring at "glowing rectangles" (term from this hilarious "Onion" article) already. Holding a book is a welcome break.

However even with a printed book, I find that my attention span has been transformed by the digital medium. I used to be able to read a book continuously from front to back. These days I skip, scan, get interrupted, multitask, read 20% and move onto the next one... basically behave as I do when online. It's a sad state.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom