all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Education/ investment

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

MC88

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster so go easy on me if this has been posted elsewhere!

Possibly a vague question, but I'll give it a go.

In terms of investment for furthering my own career, which would you guys consider better: hiring a coach or putting the money to seminars and certs? Assuming the cost is roughly equal.

I am a coach and an "athlete" myself (I have about 20 clients and I have competed in the TSC in the open category) but money is a limiting factor right now (trying to open my own gym soon) so I'm curious to see which of the above two options the forum would consider to be a wiser investment.

Thanks in advance

+1 for @offwidth 's advice.
A coach will possibly make you better (given you hire a decent one), but so will the certs.
The added benefits of the certs is that you have something that you can "show off" which will attract clients.

I can just speak from my own experience. I just coach a couple of friends and family members without someone paying me for it. I don't plan to work as a personal trainer. At least not now, maybe in a couple of years as a secondary job.
I attended a Original Strength cert last year just with the intention of doing it for myself, but since then I had 2-3 people contacting me per month, because as a certified OS coach I'm listed on the official OS page.
Because I don't own a gym or similar place I forward those people to two acquaintances who attended the same cert and who run a KB oriented gym, but it's still a continous flow of possible new clients that come to me without me doing any kind of advertisement or something like that.
That's what certs can do for you.

I'd say certs and seminars, too.

What would you want out of a coach? Form checks? Programming? Someone to be accountable to and answer your questions? It's possible you can get some or all of these things elsewhere... some right here on the forum.

I should like to add that the cert is almost a 2-for-1. Not nearly as nice as having a personal instructor for extended 1-on-1 time, but still kills two birds with one stone.

Also
pay money for coach --> no money for certs
pay money for certs ---> potential for more clients ----> money for coach

Guys,

Thanks so much for your comments. The consensus seems clear and makes sense when put as you all have put it.

For anyone interested, the seminar is a one-day seminar on mobility and movement, focusing on injury prevention, the shoulder, the hips and the spine. Third seminar since March '17 (all of which have been extremely informative), and hoping to attend SFG1 later this year.

Thanks again for the advice.

Hello guys, I'm trying to combine both: seminars and certs. But is it still worth getting the StrongFirst Instructor certification?
I just got inspired by this publication: My SFG-1 Weekend Experience by Jason Narog. I live in Tacoma, btw.

Hello guys, I'm trying to combine both: seminars and certs. But is it still worth getting the StrongFirst Instructor certification?
I have to write my paper on coaching philosophy and the stuff.
I just got inspired by this publication: My SFG-1 Weekend Experience by Jason Narog. I live in Tacoma, btw.

Update: just found the info about Seattle/Tacoma, WA—April 3-5, 2020 - $1,595.00

Instructors:
Zar Horton
Andrea U-Shi Chang

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom