all posts post new thread

Nutrition EFFECT OF COFFEE AND CAFFEINE INGESTION ON RESISTANCE EXERCISE PERFORMANCE

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kenny Croxdale

Level 7 Valued Member
EFFECT OF COFFEE AND CAFFEINE INGESTION ON RESISTANCE EXERCISE PERFORMANCE

DARREN L. RICHARDSON AND NEIL D. CLARKE Department of Applied Sciences and Health, Faculty Health and Life Sciences, Coventry University, Coventry, United Kingdom

Definitions of Acronyms

Below references the acronyms meanings in the article.

Caffeinated Coffee (COF)

Decaffeinated Coffee (DEC),

Decaffeinated Coffee Plus Anhydrous Caffeine (D + C),

Anhydrous Caffeine (CAF),

Placebo (PLA)

DISCUSSION

The major finding of the present study is that both COF and D + C can significantly improve performance in a resistance exercise protocol. Furthermore, total weight lifted in the squat protocol was significantly greater during the D + C condition... ...The findings of Trexler (37) support the present study in that coffee is able to improve resistance exercise performance and also implies that coffee could potentially impact maximal strength during lower limb exercise to a greater extent than anhydrous caffeine.

The effects of COF and D + C were less pronounced during the bench press protocol .... Timmins and Saunders (36) suggested that the effect of caffeine may be dependent on the muscle group size and consequently, the number of adenosine receptors, which may partially explain the contrasting results between squat and bench press.

Previously, Graham et al. (20) observed that 4.45 mg/kg-1 of anhydrous caffeine significantly improved exhaustion running time at 85% of maximal oxygen consumption, and both dose-matched COF and D + C did not. However, more recently Hodgson et al. (21) reported that time trial performance improved by similar magnitudes when supplementing with CAF or COF.

... different water temperatures and delivery vehicles affected the bioavailability of caffeine. Furthermore, it may have been possible that absorption of caffeine via the buccal cavity may have taken place in the coffee-containing trials. Liguori et al. (28) reported that peak saliva caffeine levels of coffee consumption appeared to be greater and occurred faster than those of caffeine capsules (42 and 67 minutes, respectively). This may mean that an hour was not sufficient to allow the same plasma concentrations to be achieved from the caffeine capsules in the present study. In support of this, Vanderveen et al. (38) suggested that the bioavailability of caffeine from capsules and tablets may be less than when caffeine is consumed in oral liquids. Additionally, the caffeine in the CAF trial was contained in capsules, but the coffee trials were consumed with 600 ml of hot water, meaning there may have been some absorption of caffeine through the buccal cavity because this is the suggested mechanism of how caffeine from chewing gum is absorbed faster than orally ingested caffeine capsules (24).

... the temperature at which caffeine is consumed is suggested to determine its bioavailability (10), ...

In conclusion, COF and D + C improved resistance exercise performance, and therefore, coffee... an inexpensive alternative to caffeine ingestion before resistance exercise.

PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS

The practical implications
of the present study are that the ingestion of caffeinated coffee, providing 5 mg/kg-1 of caffeine (approximately 2 large cups, i.e., 300 ml per cup) before resistance exercise, can enhance performance.

In the present study, the amount of caffeine from coffee used was 5 mg/kg-1,

Based On Research

1) Coffee/Caffeine prior to training increases performance.

2) Coffee combined with Anhydrous Caffeine (Caffeine Tablets) in a regular cup of Caffeinated Coffee (COF) as well as a cup of Decaffeinated Coffee Plus Anhydrous Caffeine (D + C) provides a synergistic effect; elicitis a greater training response.

Based on this research, Caffeine Tablets that are dissolved in hot coffee and consumed in a liquid form are transported more effectively.

3) Caffeine intake of between 3 - 5 gram per kilo of body weight are the most effective for healthy individuals.

Last edited:
Nice. Black coffee and caffeine tablets. I use 1/2 packet of Workout Crusher from Eboost mixed with creatine and bcaa's and some magnesium powder. And butter, coconut oil, and C8 MCT oil, and mushroom powder in my joe. I wonder if my Jekyll and Hyde elixer is less or more effective than the simple version.

As I sit here drinking cold brew, about ready to go down into my garage to train... I am happy to see this. In addition to coffee, I’ve been experimenting with a beet juice (technically BeetElite) and creatine elixir pre-workout, in addition to Kion Essential Amino Acids.

Nice. Black coffee and caffeine tablets. I use 1/2 packet of Workout Crusher from Eboost mixed with creatine and bcaa's and some magnesium powder. And butter, coconut oil, and C8 MCT oil, and mushroom powder in my joe. I wonder if my Jekyll and Hyde elixer is less or more effective than the simple version.

A Cocktail

That is an interesting cocktail.

Since you use it, you have a better idea/feeling of how effective it is.

My Caffeine Formula

I using the ECA (Ephedrine/Caffeine Tablet/Aspirin ) stack.

However, based on the Coffee Research, I now grid up the Ephedrine, Caffeine and Aspirin Tablets and mix it in to hot coffee. I also add some Yohimbe. That makes it a ECA-Y stack.

Butter and MCTs

I am on the Ketogenic Diet due to a metabolic condition.

So, I prior to the ECA-Y stack, I have some a warm cup bullion. I increase my sodium levels (like you adding some magnesium, as well). That since the Ketogenic Diet tends to deplete sodium levels.

I have experimented with adding MCTs, liquid Coconut Oil and Butter into my cup of Bullion. I didn't notice that it did for my training sessions. However, the additional calories helped me gain some weight.

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing." Einstein

The only way you find out if something works, is to experiment with it, as you are doing with your Jekyll and Hyde formulas.

Alexander Gram Bell viewed failure with trying something as eliminating what doesn't work and getting closer to finding what will work.

As Billy Martin (Baseball) said, "It better to fall on your face going for ball then sitting on your butt waiting for it to come to you.

A Cocktail

That is an interesting cocktail.

Since you use it, you have a better idea/feeling of how effective it is.

My Caffeine Formula

I using the ECA (Ephedrine/Caffeine Tablet/Aspirin ) stack.

However, based on the Coffee Research, I now grid up the Ephedrine, Caffeine and Aspirin Tablets and mix it in to hot coffee. I also add some Yohimbe. That makes it a ECA-Y stack.

Butter and MCTs

I am on the Ketogenic Diet due to a metabolic condition.

So, I prior to the ECA-Y stack, I have some a warm cup bullion. I increase my sodium levels (like you adding some magnesium, as well). That since the Ketogenic Diet tends to deplete sodium levels.

I have experimented with adding MCTs, liquid Coconut Oil and Butter into my cup of Bullion. I didn't notice that it did for my training sessions. However, the additional calories helped me gain some weight.

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing." Einstein

The only way you find out if something works, is to experiment with it, as you are doing with your Jekyll and Hyde formulas.

Alexander Gram Bell viewed failure with trying something as eliminating what doesn't work and getting closer to finding what will work.

As Billy Martin (Baseball) said, "It better to fall on your face going for ball then sitting on your butt waiting for it to come to you.
@kennycro@@aol.com , Great posts btw. Makes me feel like I should be doing mine with a fat crayon.
Yohimbe and ephedrine ( which I've done ) jacks my HR up for hours so I dropped it years ago. My current cocktail is consumed around 415-430a, and I will make a 1/2 size version around 930a. They will be my only source of calories until noon. That has been my system for 3-4 years and it seems to work for me and saves time and clears mental space. Also, a bit of salt in the butter and I add a pinch of coarse Celtic sea salt.

I’ve been experimenting with a beet juice (technically BeetElite) and creatine elixir pre-workout, in addition to Kion Essential Amino Acids.

Beet Juice

Do you feel that you get anything out of it?

If so, what?

Another interesting use of beet juice is for roads in winter...

Deicing with Beet Juice

...Beet juice is an effective alternative to salt alone because it lowers the freezing point of water to as low as -20 degrees. Salt only prevents water from freezing at temperatures of 5 degrees or higher.

Beet Juice

Do you feel that you get anything out of it?

If so, what?

Another interesting use of beet juice is for roads in winter...

Deicing with Beet Juice

...Beet juice is an effective alternative to salt alone because it lowers the freezing point of water to as low as -20 degrees. Salt only prevents water from freezing at temperatures of 5 degrees or higher.
Not sure yet - just started experimenting with it again after reading a study about increases in nitric oxide. Will let you know if anything significant.

Beet juice story. Back in the day, heading to the gym around 230a, plenty of coffee in me plus a Frankenstein Vita-Mix concoction with beets, greens and who knows what else. Five minutes from house I hit the brakes in the middle of a normally busy street and sprayed the asphalt with a bright red paint job. End of beet experiment.
I have used an arginine and beet powder supplement from Nutrasumma which I like.

Beet juice story. Back in the day, heading to the gym around 230a, plenty of coffee in me plus a Frankenstein Vita-Mix concoction with beets, greens and who knows what else. Five minutes from house I hit the brakes in the middle of a normally busy street and sprayed the asphalt with a bright red paint job. End of beet experiment.
I have used an arginine and beet powder supplement from Nutrasumma which I like.

Brutal!

Some years ago there was a 'drugs scandal' with a difference as members of the Australian rugby team were reported by tabloid media to be pre-match doping with ... caffeine supplements. The captain of the team, George Gregan, admitted as much saying the evidence was clear that caffeine was both performance enhancing and permitted

Some years ago there was a 'drugs scandal' with a difference as members of the Australian rugby team were reported by tabloid media to be pre-match doping with ... caffeine supplements. The captain of the team, George Gregan, admitted as much saying the evidence was clear that caffeine was both performance enhancing and permitted
It’s definitely a monitored substance in certain quantities in some sports...
Caffeine suppositories were a common delivery method...

George claims 7% performance boost

Coffee and caffeine pills? And here everyone thought I was weird for adding an espresso shot to my coffee. What kind of jolt are you getting?

@kennycro@@aol.com , many thanks for this article if for no other reason than I'm a coffee lover! I train in my garage in the mornings and have had less than good workouts if I had no coffee prior!
@John Grahill , I must admit, when I clicked on @kennycro@@aol.com first COFFEE post I thought about crossing my fingers. I knew what followed was going to be detailed,squared away and put together, and I was hoping pro coffee. Reminds me of a Rodney Dangerfield bit, " I don't have a coke problem, I just like the way it smells."

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom