all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Effects of Alcohol on Hypertrophy: Paper Review

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

watchnerd

Level 8 Valued Member
Pathways analyzed:

• mTOR
  • S6K1

Paper here:

Note:

• The 'acute' alcohol used in the study was a fairly heavy amount of post workout drinking
  • Binge drinking college athletes seen as the particular real-world audience*

*I would have loved to see the recruitment for this. "Who wants to paid to get buff and sloshed?"

Video commentary here:

Conclusion: alcohol is bad for gaining muscle, but if you have enough of it, you won't care.

:)

-S-

For the alcohol condition, participants ingested vodka (40% vol/vol alcohol; Smirnoff Co., Norwalk, CT, USA) diluted in water to a concentration of 15% vol/vol absolute alcohol to achieve a dose 1.09 g of alcohol per kg of fat-free body mass.

Conclusion:

Smirnoff bad for gains.

Maybe try a better vodka?

2nd question:

Do Russians suffer less gain problems?

If I’m reading this correctly, the dosing was roughly equivalent to a 200lb man slamming 3 and a half drinks (1oz alcohol per) in 10 minutes.

1.09 gr per kg bw
29ml (29gr) per ounce
3.38 oz vodka in 10 minutes

If you figure 18% bf, they still slammed nearly 3 drinks in 10 minutes (2.75).

Maybe repeat same quantity using one drink per 35 minutes and see how it shakes out.

Some thoughts:

I would like to see a study where the subject drinks a few drinks spread over a couple hours, also 2-3 hours minimum after training, like would be more "real world applicable." Who finishes training and then slams three drinks one after the next 20 minutes after? Some people, somewhere, sometimes, sure. But I think it's safe to say that most people who care about their gainz don't. I'm not saying that alcohol doesn't affect training. Of course it does. The study design seems a little odd to me in this respect though.

I've posted this article a few times in older threads, and it's getting to be a few years old, but it has some additional data at least.

Menno's conclusions:
-alcohol is worse for your gainz if you're a male because alcohol + testes do not seem to go well together (somewhat ironically)
-alcohol probably isn't going to make a significant dent in your gains unless you get basically blackout drunk and/or chronically drink something like 3-4+ drinks a day (give or take)

Interestingly, he cites data that shows the hormonal impact of drinking too much is similar to bodybuilders cutting for a contest.
Edit: also interestingly, he cites a study that shows that short term drinking increased testosterone. Not here promoting booze as a post-workout, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Let me be clear that I'm not in here trying to get y'all to drink more. It's probably not a great idea to drink if you have some professinal athletic events in your near future, but it doesn't seem like it's "killing your gains" to have a good time once in a while. Menno does take the time to say that if you're drinking close to or at the double digits (meaning around 10 or more) on a frequent or near daily basis, you likely have more pressing problems than losing your gains.

I avoid drinking very often, but will have some weekend drinks from time to time. I actually think the stress relief they provide does me good, based on how I feel. I don't get hammered, mind you. It's usually like two beers or something.

Who finishes training and then slams three drinks one after the next 20 minutes after? Some people, somewhere, sometimes, sure.

I feel like I'm being called out here....

At my local barbell club, we have shots on max effort days every time someone hits a new PR.

There is a bottle of booze on the wall with every lifter's name on it; there is bourbon, vodka, scotch, Japanese whiskey, Jaegermeister, tequila -- whatever the lifter wants to force everyone else to drink.

The person hitting the PR has to pour shots out of their bottle for all.

At my local barbell club, we have shots on max effort days every time someone hits a new PR.

There is a bottle of booze on the wall with every lifter's name on it; there is bourbon, vodka, scotch, Japanese whiskey, Jaegermeister, tequila -- whatever the lifter wants to force everyone else to drink.

@william bad butt is that why I haven't been successed at ME day? ;)

Vodka is paint stripper. Vodka was the tool of Tsarist Narco terrorists to keep their population addicted. Whiskey on the other hand is the “water of life” and entirely good for anything at all you care to think of. I have no proof for this of course other than being a Scottish savage who enjoys an adult beverage of an evening.

Vodka is paint stripper. Vodka was the tool of Tsarist Narco terrorists to keep their population addicted. Whiskey on the other hand is the “water of life” and entirely good for anything at all you care to think of. I have no proof for this of course other than being a Scottish savage who enjoys an adult beverage of an evening.

Last time I bought a bottle of Ardbeg, I also bought a bottle of Amrut (Indian single malt).

I much prefer the Ardbeg, but the Amrut is perfectly drinkable, if a little sedate.

I want to join this club

I suspect alcohol is like many other things in life, not great for gains but if you keep lifting you’ll never notice the difference. Those of us with decades of lifting under our belt are where we were always going to be regardless of our alcohol intake, low protein, poor sleep, high reps, lousy exercise selection etc. That’s the great glory of the iron game - you can lift your way out of anything

Last time I bought a bottle of Ardbeg, I also bought a bottle of Amrut (Indian single malt).

I much prefer the Ardbeg, but the Amrut is perfectly drinkable, if a little sedate.
I don’t get malts man. Ardberg is lovely admittedly but I’m not into mortgaging my hoose to get stocious. That’s a Scottish word for blitzkrieged, rat faced, drunk. Feel free to use it and popularise it. The “C” is a “sh” sound. I’m not one of these guys who thinks no other country can make a whiskey because “blah blah blah Scotland”. Japanese whiskey is a thing of beauty. I don’t think Indian malts have made it here yet.

Last edited:
Never do I feel better than when I put the bottle down for a month or 2. Usually ends at 6 weeks. Life gets in the way. Last 2 weeks, NY and Las Vegas, graduation parties. Now 2 of my best pals coming up for 4th of July. then a cruise to Bermuda at the end of the month. Just trying to avoid drinking around the house.

A client of mine and his wife are currently visiting Scotland. Highly likely a tour of several distilleries and partaking of the water of life on the itinerary.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom