all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Effects of Alcohol on Hypertrophy: Paper Review

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Vodka is paint stripper. Vodka was the tool of Tsarist Narco terrorists to keep their population addicted. Whiskey on the other hand is the “water of life” and entirely good for anything at all you care to think of. I have no proof for this of course other than being a Scottish savage who enjoys an adult beverage of an evening.

Being American, in our house, it's bourbon. Being a wimp, I'll have it with water on the rocks. Thanks to @Pavel Macek, I learned about Becherovka and that is also a house beverage here, also usually with water on the rocks; perhaps I am part Czech.

-S-

Being American, in our house, it's bourbon. Being a wimp, I'll have it with water on the rocks. Thanks to @Pavel Macek, I learned about Becherovka and that is also a house beverage here, also usually with water on the rocks; perhaps I am part Czech.

-S-
I like bourbon. Bulleit bourbon is one of my favourites. They sell it here in ASDA which is our version of Walmart. Buffalo Trace and Woodford reserve too and I’m more and more convinced whiskey should have a dash of cold water in it.

Last edited:
Never do I feel better than when I put the bottle down for a month or 2. Usually ends at 6 weeks. Life gets in the way. Last 2 weeks, NY and Las Vegas, graduation parties. Now 2 of my best pals coming up for 4th of July. then a cruise to Bermuda at the end of the month. Just trying to avoid drinking around the house.
It definitely improves my sleep and I have periods I don’t touch a drop myself but as I’m getting more mature I just try to avoid drunkenness instead of attempts at going teetotal. I was teetotal for 5 years in my 20’s and I must’ve been one rough pecker to put up with if any of my recent stints of sobriety are anything to go by.

I like bourbon. Bulleit bourbon is one of my favourites. They sell it here in ASDA which is our version of Walmart. Buffalo Trace and Woodford reserve too and I’m more and more convinced whiskey should have a dash of cold water in it.
The US can be a strange place to buy alcohol. My wife and I have bought a bourbon in PA only to find that they don't sell it in NJ where we live, and you also can't mail order it, either, because there are both laws about shipping alcohol into some states and also issues with distributors.

-S-

The US can be a strange place to buy alcohol. My wife and I have bought a bourbon in PA only to find that they don't sell it in NJ where we live, and you also can't mail order it, either, because there are both laws about shipping alcohol into some states and also issues with distributors.

-S-
We make whiskey and it costs an arm and a leg for a bottle of the stuff. If you order it in a bar, to paraphrase Doug Stanhope “an alchemist appears with measures to make sure you don’t get a drop more than you paid for”. When I do partake I usually just buy a bottle of Jonny Walker which is less than £20. Malts are double that. There’s a couple of whiskey and cigar places here in Glasgow that sell high end stuff. Bottles of whiskey that cost hundreds of pounds. One day maybe. Then I’ll be the bloody alchemist measuring every drop i pour.

This isn't too scientific, but anything beyond about 2.5-3 ounces within about 3-hours of bed screws up my sleep (I've been wearing a sleep tracker and the increase in HR at that point is dramatic; as is the time spent laying in bed between about 1-4:30 wishing I could hit the "undo button"). I heard (and it appears to be correct, anecdotally) that sleep is important for recovery, growth, health.....gainz. So, to that end, I've been REALLY TRYING (and not always succeeding) to keep my instances of taking in +2.5 ounces to once per week or less.

Man, did I fail on Saturday though (I must have had closer to 8-10).....; that said, I DID finish plowing through a Faulkner novel on Sunday!

that said, I DID finish plowing through a Faulkner novel on Sunday!
"Plowing," being the correct word. Ol' William's work demands concentration. Which novel?

Alcohol wise, I go by one of Hank Williams Jr.'s lyrics:

"hannnnnggggg-overs hurt more than they used to,
corn bread and ice tea's
took the place of pills and 90 proof!!"

Pretty much a teetotaler these days but enjoy the very occasional beer and the company of those who enjoy their spirits.

I feel like I'm being called out here....

At my local barbell club, we have shots on max effort days every time someone hits a new PR.

There is a bottle of booze on the wall with every lifter's name on it; there is bourbon, vodka, scotch, Japanese whiskey, Jaegermeister, tequila -- whatever the lifter wants to force everyone else to drink.

The person hitting the PR has to pour shots out of their bottle for all.
I absolutely LOVE this. This is camaraderie and is what life is all about.

Vodka is paint stripper. Vodka was the tool of Tsarist Narco terrorists to keep their population addicted. Whiskey on the other hand is the “water of life” and entirely good for anything at all you care to think of. I have no proof for this of course other than being a Scottish savage who enjoys an adult beverage of an evening.
"Proof" is overrated. Who needs proof (no pun intended) when you're right ? ? ? ?

I know a blacksmith who pulled 800lbs deadlifts and he does a bottle of whiskey a night. I’m not even talking good stuff I’m talking stuff that is still only £10 a bottle. High commissioner and a Cream of the Barley lol

Plowing," being the correct word. Ol' William's work demands concentration. Which novel?
Absalom, Absalom. Second time I've read it in past couple of years. Pretty good advice I got on Faulkner (I think from reading an interview with him himself) was that his novels are meant to be read multiple times. It made WAY MORE SENSE the second time (as did The Sound and the Fury; those are the only ones I've tackled twice.... neither of them made any sense the first time I read them). May try for a third.....

I heard another analogy..... you don't listen to an album once. You don't watch a movie you love once (I think I've seen The Godfather at least 50 times).

I live a dual life, a story to be told over a few whiskey shots :), I spend half of my life in US, and the other half in Turkey. (Soon to be changed for better or worse :))

In US, I don’t drink at all. In Turkey, I binge drink with my friends twice or even trice a week.

My personal experience shows that, if you drink an amount that do not impact your workout capacity severely for the following day, then you are good. If you can’t work out properly the following day due to hangover, and if you repeat this scheme a few times a week, then your gains are impacted.

My solution is to drink “high quality” alcohol as much as possible (Scotch or Russian, Polish vodka or British Gin, sorry for all other folks :)) limit the quantity if you can, if not have two Alka-Seltzers and hope not to have a hangover. Repeat this as few days as possible in any given week. And don’t binge drink one night and the following night since my body can’t handle two consecutive binging as it used to handle 30 years ago.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom