all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Effects of Alcohol on Hypertrophy: Paper Review

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I live a dual life, a story to be told over a few whiskey shots :), I spend half of my life in US, and the other half in Turkey. (Soon to be changed for better or worse :))

In US, I don’t drink at all. In Turkey, I binge drink with my friends twice or even trice a week.

My personal experience shows that, if you drink an amount that do not impact your workout capacity severely for the following day, then you are good. If you can’t work out properly the following day due to hangover, and if you repeat this scheme a few times a week, then your gains are impacted.

My solution is to drink “high quality” alcohol as much as possible (Scotch or Russian, Polish vodka or British Gin, sorry for all other folks :)) limit the quantity if you can, if not have two Alka-Seltzers and hope not to have a hangover. Repeat this as few days as possible in any given week. And don’t binge drink one night and the following night since my body can’t handle two consecutive binging as it used to handle 30 years ago.
And of course water… a lot of water.. more than you want to drink.

I know a blacksmith who pulled 800lbs deadlifts and he does a bottle of whiskey a night. I’m not even talking good stuff I’m talking stuff that is still only £10 a bottle. High commissioner and a Cream of the Barley lol
Respect.

Absalom, Absalom. Second time I've read it in past couple of years. Pretty good advice I got on Faulkner (I think from reading an interview with him himself) was that his novels are meant to be read multiple times. It made WAY MORE SENSE the second time (as did The Sound and the Fury; those are the only ones I've tackled twice.... neither of them made any sense the first time I read them). May try for a third.....

I heard another analogy..... you don't listen to an album once. You don't watch a movie you love once (I think I've seen The Godfather at least 50 times).
The Sound and the Fury is the most amazing novel I've ever read. I'm an avid reader, nothing has come close. As a Mississippian, it makes sense but it's far more than that.

Agreed on the more than once analogy!!

Oh, and in keeping with this thread's "spirit," people constantly leave bottles of whiskey on Faulkner's grave in Oxford, Mississippi!!

“In New York they call me an alcoholic. In Ireland they call me a sissy drinker” Shane MacGowan
I had the chance to travel to a lot of countries around the world.

All of the nations believe they are the best drinkers.

I can say that, for a fact, and with certainty, Irish are at a different level together with Russians. Haven’t been to Scotland tough…

A fun story, in Russia, back in time, a barmen at a local bar, did not understand my Vodka-Redbull order. His mind refused to serve Vodka not dry but mixed with something. The drinks were being ordered by grams. You tell how many grams you want, they serve you that amount dry, ice on the side if you insist.

Once witnessed a pro Irish rugby team celebrating victory at a pub. I literally took off very quickly. Humanly impossible amount of liquid being consumed by really huge folks made me feel unsafe though they were having a lot of fun and polite, still it was like being in a cage with lions.

I had the chance to travel to a lot of countries around the world.

All of the nations believe they are the best drinkers.

I can say that, for a fact, and with certainty, Irish are at a different level together with Russians. Haven’t been to Scotland tough…

A fun story, in Russia, back in time, a barmen at a local bar, did not understand my Vodka-Redbull order. His mind refused to serve Vodka not dry but mixed with something. The drinks were being ordered by grams. You tell how many grams you want, they serve you that amount dry, ice on the side if you insist.

Once witnessed a pro Irish rugby team celebrating victory at a pub. I literally took off very quickly. Humanly impossible amount of liquid being consumed by really huge folks made me feel unsafe though they were having a lot of fun and polite, still it was like being in a cage with lions.

45 pints in 2 hours lol

Leaving Phoenix, AZ. I don't think they will mind.
Have they been before? Have they encountered the midges? The biting flies that live here? I’ve been chased out of many a glen and loch by the midges. Clan chiefs would torture enemies by staking them out overnight so the midges could bite them. It apparently caused insanity and I don’t doubt it one bit.

Have they been before? Have they encountered the midges? The biting flies that live here? I’ve been chased out of many a glen and loch by the midges. Clan chiefs would torture enemies by staking them out overnight so the midges could bite them. It apparently caused insanity and I don’t doubt it one bit.
First time I think. Doing one of those genealogy tracing vacations. Not many of those types of bugs in AZ. Probably drive them both bat s***.

First time I think. Doing one of those genealogy tracing vacations. Not many of those types of bugs in AZ. Probably drive them both bat s***.
I sincerely hope they are both endowed with the weird pheromones that some folk possess that scare the infernal things away. If not then I hope it doesn’t ruin their holiday. They are that bad. People think the Romans crapped it from the Northern Pictish tribes. It was the midges that scared them away.

The priciest I've ever tried (I was just buying a serving) was some Balvenie 30 year that goes for about 2k a bottle.
Years ago I was taught to drink cognac by Sri Lanka’s wealthiest man, Kili Rajamahendran. It was a happenstance encounter and I can’t recall the bottle that Kili selected but it got the sommelier out of bed and down to the hotel to tell us about it (and he got a couple of shots too haha)

Hello,
The stories that I have heard about the "drinking habits" of soviet athletes were "monumental" in nature. Things like the U.S. Men's volleyball team travelling with the USSR's in the 80"s as soon as the plane got in the air one of the soviet guys would reach inside his gym bag and pull out a bottle and pass it around. There are of course MANY other tales of Vodka "imbibing" by the Ussr's "finest"! As an aside I drink vodka "frequently", but I use "protection"-NAC, Milk Thistle, ALA, Sam-E, Vit C- ALL TOGETHER-BEFORE, AFTER AND DURING!

It definitely improves my sleep and I have periods I don’t touch a drop myself but as I’m getting more mature I just try to avoid drunkenness instead of attempts at going teetotal. I was teetotal for 5 years in my 20’s and I must’ve been one rough pecker to put up with if any of my recent stints of sobriety are anything to go by.
I’ve done a few month long stints with zero booze. I expected to feel like a new man. Didn’t feel that much difference at all. I’m not a heavy drinker though.

I sincerely hope they are both endowed with the weird pheromones that some folk possess that scare the infernal things away. If not then I hope it doesn’t ruin their holiday. They are that bad. People think the Romans crapped it from the Northern Pictish tribes. It was the midges that scared them away.
The gent is a bug magnet .

Hello,
The stories that I have heard about the "drinking habits" of soviet athletes were "monumental" in nature. Things like the U.S. Men's volleyball team travelling with the USSR's in the 80"s as soon as the plane got in the air one of the soviet guys would reach inside his gym bag and pull out a bottle and pass it around. There are of course MANY other tales of Vodka "imbibing" by the Ussr's "finest"! As an aside I drink vodka "frequently", but I use "protection"-NAC, Milk Thistle, ALA, Sam-E, Vit C- ALL TOGETHER-BEFORE, AFTER AND DURING!

Whatever negative hypertrophic impact alcohol might have is probably negligible in “enhanced” athletes.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom