all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Elbow pain from pull-ups?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

the hansenator

Level 6 Valued Member
What causes someone to get elbow pain from pull-ups?

My wife used to be great at pull-ups. Then she went a few years without really working on it but more recently has been trying to build her pull-up strength back and has been complaining about elbow pain. She hasn't been doing high reps, at this point she can't do more than one or two.

I'd like to help but am not sure what to tell her.

Pull-ups can be notoriously hard on the elbows. Once the tendons get inflamed it's hard to get rid of. (Especially if you still want to do pull-ups)
This comes up a lot on the forum. Several strategies that have worked for me as re-hab and pre-hab are:
  • If in pain rest and ice. Don't try and tough it out.
  • Do wrist pronators
  • Do 1/2 reverse wrist curls
  • Do finger extensions
  • Use Chinese medicine balls
  • Do pull-ups using rings
  • Do low rep pull-ups

What causes someone to get elbow pain from pull-ups?
The tendons of the elbow attaching muscle to bone undergo great stress in a pull-up. Think about it. Half of your bodyweight worth of tension is going through that tendon. If you don't spend some time to strengthen the tendon well, it's bound to inflame.

Some things can help, like switching your grip or using rings. However, these merely decrease the stress, they don't eliminate it. Eventually, a person who does Chin-ups or uses rings will also develop pain if they continue to push through it.

If she's only capable of 1-2 Pull-ups, she's somewhat underprepared for them. I never do (but have done) heavy Pull-ups in that intensity and it's clear it's very stressful, so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. If she had pain but could do 10+, that's a little different. I think it's a matter of intensity.

The best course of action is regression. It's possible to build outstanding strength and elbow integrity for Pull-ups through it's easier cousin, the Bodyweight Row. She'll love how much "easier" they feel on the elbow. That's because the stress is simply less. Virtually every calisthenics guide nowadays makes an emphasis on rowing for pull-up preparation. Which makes sense as you'd want to be good at push-ups before HSPUs right?

Some rest and then regression with rows would make sense to me personally. Hope that helps a bit.

Neutral grip pullups on rings seem to be the most gentle version.
She could also experiment with doing very controlled reps/slow reps and low reps holding the top position for a few seconds. Or l-sit pullups. For me they kinda "force" you into the right position, preventing disconfort in the first place.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It sounds mostly like my wife should spend some time with an easier exercise (inverted rows) and give the tendons time to adapt.

With that as a goal, is there a recommended frequency or duration? Maybe 3/week for a couple months before trying pullups again?

I'm no expert but have included pull ups in all my programmes for years as they are a favourite move. I'd concur with other points here on:

- switching grips frequently
- using regressions to strengthen the joints over time (i.e. inverted rows)
-being conservative with frequency and volume

There may be a volume threshold that can be built back to for pull ups that doesn't bother the tissues but does mean you can include them. However, moving beyond this may flare up the problem.

For example, the Fighter Pull Up routine just seems too much volume for me as written (causes wear) so I use a variant (less sets, less frequent) as a halfway point. I also use GTG in a similar way (multiple sets but not too many sets through the day) by feel in rotation. Along with this I rotate periods where I programme pull ups less frequently (1-2 times per week) to still groove the pattern but also give the body a chance to rest.

So far so good but I certainly want to be in this for the long run.

Good luck!

Dan John's advice for MAPS (middle age pullup syndrome) is the following:

1) Never do more than 10 reps in a session.
2) Work on pauses at the top and at the bottom instead of increasing reps. Work up to 30 seconds in both positions. If you can do 5 of these, wow.

That's the main bits, or at least all you need for now, although I'm probably missing one or two things as that man has a lot of advice.

For example, the Fighter Pull Up routine just seems too much volume for me as written
There is a pretty decent 1RM programme that I have used. It has somewhat less volume than the 3RM fighter pull-ups method.

This might or might not be related, but I was doing a some chin ups a couple weeks ago, fully warmed up, and I felt a big twitch in my right arm. Next day I could not straighten my elbow all the way. I figured out I could make it release with some wrist rolls and reverse curls. Long story short, I figured out the root of the problem is a trigger point in my right tricep. I have a HUGE knot on the right side. I've been working on it with a lacrosse ball. Make sure your triceps are in working order.

This might or might not be related, but I was doing a some chin ups a couple weeks ago, fully warmed up, and I felt a big twitch in my right arm. Next day I could not straighten my elbow all the way. I figured out I could make it release with some wrist rolls and reverse curls. Long story short, I figured out the root of the problem is a trigger point in my right tricep. I have a HUGE knot on the right side. I've been working on it with a lacrosse ball. Make sure your triceps are in working order.
Really a good point especially regarding the triceps! Can only subscibe this and would add that you (at least I) need to take care of the teres minor/major.

As a sidenote to this...
Anyone else feel their triceps working like crazy during pullups?
I treat my tris during pullups the same way as during DLs, meaning flexing them during the straight arm position to avoid possible biceps problems (like tears).
In addition to that they get stretched out under load (your bodyweight + maybe additional weight) at the bottom of the movement.
Oddly enough a lot of times they are the only sore muscle after pullups...

As a sidenote to this...
Anyone else feel their triceps working like crazy during pullups?
Absolutely. It took me a few years and a lot more strength to get there, so I'm sure you're a strong fella.

The triceps (long head anyways) assists in shoulder extension. So especially at the bottom of the movement as I initiate, and at the very top of the movement, when I achieve a really tight shoulder extension. And mostly with Chin-ups, not as much with Pullups.

My logic tells me that if your shoulder extension is so prominent in a Pull-up that you're actually feeling your triceps light up (and be quite sore the day after), then your Pull-up form is spot on. It means you're truly pulling "from the armpit" and getting the ROM from there instead of just over-relying on your biceps and elbow flexion.

When I go too heavy with Pull-ups (and don't quite get a total full lockout at the top with shoulder extension) or do One-arm Chins (narrow grip means not as much shoulder extension) I don't feel the triceps at all. So I think it definitely indicates a little bit about your level of proficiency on the Pull-up.

@305pelusa, thanks for the tip about pulling from the arm pit. I wonder if I am not using my lats enough and that is way my elbow locked up.

Once I get this trigger point sorted out I will give that feel a shot. I still have a knot in my tricep that hurts like crazy.

Absolutely. It took me a few years and a lot more strength to get there, so I'm sure you're a strong fella.

The triceps (long head anyways) assists in shoulder extension. So especially at the bottom of the movement as I initiate, and at the very top of the movement, when I achieve a really tight shoulder extension. And mostly with Chin-ups, not as much with Pullups.

My logic tells me that if your shoulder extension is so prominent in a Pull-up that you're actually feeling your triceps light up (and be quite sore the day after), then your Pull-up form is spot on. It means you're truly pulling "from the armpit" and getting the ROM from there instead of just over-relying on your biceps and elbow flexion.

When I go too heavy with Pull-ups (and don't quite get a total full lockout at the top with shoulder extension) or do One-arm Chins (narrow grip means not as much shoulder extension) I don't feel the triceps at all. So I think it definitely indicates a little bit about your level of proficiency on the Pull-up.
You're flattering me :oops::)
I'm tall with long arms and over 200lbs so I'd consider PUs a natural weakness for me. It requires a good amount of effort to just get to 10 bodyweight PUs.
Good to know that I might be doing something right with them :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom