all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Elbow pain

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anders

Level 6 Valued Member
I have been training the one-arm push up for a while and finally I have managed to do a couple of reps on each arm. I also Train it Three times a week using the Tuba and Soju program (when training it I get assistance from a band). That being said I have also developed some slight pain in my left elbow. It is not exactly pain, more a slight uncomfortableness. I am not weaker, and I have full flexibility and mobility and I have no problems sleeping.

I read in "Overcoming Gravity" that elbow pain might partially be a result of lack of strength and/or mobility in the surrounding joint. My wrist I cannot say anything about, but my left shoulder (the pain is in the left elbow) is not as stable as the right shoulder. I can especially feel it when doing TGU.

I am also writing on a flat keyboard around two hours each day, five days a week.

Right now I was thinking about doing crawling and easy TGU more often as a warm up and as a way to stabilize the shoulder better. maybe also Train the wrist and the finger extensors.

Does anyone of you have had similar problems ? Do you have any suggestions about what to do ? Would you suggest cutting out diary and gluten and treating it as partially a allergic problem ?

I would be happy for all replies.

One arm anything is stressful. No doubt it's basic overuse. You will want to stop it from getting any worse mind you.

Personally I would back off from the OAPU for a while. You can experiment with R.I.C.E and/or heat. As well as anti inflammatories if you are into that sort of thing. (Note: I'm no doctor, but I've been to a few rodeo's in my time)

Work on strengthening the elbow area.
  • Wrist Pronators
  • Finger extensors
  • Reverse wrist curls from the neutral position
Crawling as you mentioned is probably good. As long as it doesn't aggravate the areas.

Highly unlikely IMO that this dairy or gluten related....

sounds like you just went a little overboard with the OAPU. it happens, especially when you first get the skill.

just rest from it for ~ a week and check back in. the move will still be there.

i would rest from pretty much all other upper body work as well, or at least do stuff that doesn't cause any discomfort.

I get elbow pain, once in a while it acts up. I think mine is from my lats. Once i foam roll them, it gets better for a while.

This can be relief for yourself for a while but not forever. You should do something from which you can get rid of. All the best!

First of all: I am 99% sure of the fact that it has absolutely zero to do with gluten/diary.
Also: ~98% People really need to stop worrying about their imaginary pseudo-intolerances to certain compounds of food.
Please excuse this harsh intro, no offense. I just needed to make this clear.

Now, concerning your actual question:
Working a lot on one-arm pressing moves can beat the elbows up, especially the OAPU.
I encountered similar problems.
My suggestions:

-take a few days of from one arm pressing (maybe do two arm pressing but only if you can do it pain free)

-start adding some pre-/rehab work:
Teacup drill, egyptians, kb halos, hanging, rocking (OS style). Do them as part of your warmup or after training or/and on off days, 2-3 sets

Thanks for all the replies:

Marc and any other person who has some experience training the OAPU. What did you do after you got some discomfort in the elbow ? And what happened then ? How long would you recommend someone working With the OAPU before switching to a New pushing exercise ?

Thanks for all the replies:

Marc and any other person who has some experience training the OAPU. What did you do after you got some discomfort in the elbow ? And what happened then ? How long would you recommend someone working With the OAPU before switching to a New pushing exercise ?

Basically I took some rest and talk to my personal doctor. Wait some days until my pain is gone.

@Anders the teacup drill and egyptian were extremely effective in eliminating my elbow pain. Only took me ~5days.
When to switch to another programme depends on your goals. Take it easy for a few days until your elbows are healed and then continue with either the OAPU or di something else.

First of all: I am 99% sure of the fact that it has absolutely zero to do with gluten/diary.
Also: ~98% People really need to stop worrying about their imaginary pseudo-intolerances to certain compounds of food.
Please excuse this harsh intro, no offense. I just needed to make this clear.

In this case I think you might be right (if it's a recent development that appeared with high volume).

But I'd warn against preaching this to as many people as possible. When the whole gluten intolerance thing came on the scene a few years back I rolled my eyes and then delighted when the article about the original researcher rescinding his findings came out. I shared that all over social media, prodded at some folks, and was generally a young man who thought he had all the answers (I'm not saying this is you btw - just talking about where I was at the time).

A few years later I start having some pretty scary health problems - constant headaches, dizziness, almost blacking out, numb arms and hands, and my bloodwork showed I was malnourished. As you might have guessed I was eventually diagnosed with Celiac disease (blood serum test and biopsy confirmed). I might have even figured it out faster if I wasn't so certain that it couldn't possibly be my whole grain rich diet.

Autoimmune reactions can develop to gluten at any time - not just in childhood. You can have no gastrointestinal symptoms (or very mild). Non-celiac-gluten-sensitivity is now recognized in the medical literature and there are numerous published articles.

And finally I'd recommend against going too far my direction as well. I tend to think too many things are food related now. If I was bleeding from a shotgun wound I might worry that it was because I had too many starchy carbs that day.

Thanks for letting me share my experience. I'll get back to bumping around the forum now.

In this case I think you might be right (if it's a recent development that appeared with high volume).

But I'd warn against preaching this to as many people as possible. When the whole gluten intolerance thing came on the scene a few years back I rolled my eyes and then delighted when the article about the original researcher rescinding his findings came out. I shared that all over social media, prodded at some folks, and was generally a young man who thought he had all the answers (I'm not saying this is you btw - just talking about where I was at the time).

A few years later I start having some pretty scary health problems - constant headaches, dizziness, almost blacking out, numb arms and hands, and my bloodwork showed I was malnourished. As you might have guessed I was eventually diagnosed with Celiac disease (blood serum test and biopsy confirmed). I might have even figured it out faster if I wasn't so certain that it couldn't possibly be my whole grain rich diet.

Autoimmune reactions can develop to gluten at any time - not just in childhood. You can have no gastrointestinal symptoms (or very mild). Non-celiac-gluten-sensitivity is now recognized in the medical literature and there are numerous published articles.

And finally I'd recommend against going too far my direction as well. I tend to think too many things are food related now. If I was bleeding from a shotgun wound I might worry that it was because I had too many starchy carbs that day.

Thanks for letting me share my experience. I'll get back to bumping around the forum now.

You are right!
Some intolerances do indeed develope over time.
Yes, I was a little harsh. But no offense whatsover.
Especially if one is diagnosed with a certain intolerance it would be dumb not to take appropriate measurements.
Luckily, most people aren't.
What I am actually after is not to obsess too much over food once you established a reasonable diet.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom