all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Elbow position during ballistics question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Vapidtm

Level 3 Valued Member
Hello, hope all is well.
I am fairly new to kettlebells, just started a couple of months ago when I discovered this website. Great content. My question is:
During the snatch and clean, I was taught to keep the elbow close to the body to maintain the arc. However, for swings would this also apply? During swings should I keep my elbow close to the body like I would a clean or snatch, or should I allow the elbow and arm to fully extend out away from the body?

Welcome to kettlebell training and StrongFirst.

Correct to keep elbow close to the torso for snatch and clean.

Correct to keep arm connected to torso for swing, but as kettlebell goes up in the upswing, allow arm to disconnect from torso, keeping arms mostly straight. So, yes, "allow the elbow and arm to fully extend out away from the body".

It's good to be aware of that arm-to-torso connectedness with the swing, though. In the downswing, it can be your signal to move quickly to the hinge position, when you feel the arm reconnect to the ribcage. (Hold the tight and strong vertical plank until then). Also, feeling a tight connection between arm and ribcage in the hinge / backswing can facilitate good power transfer when you explosively move your body to the vertical plank position.

I can see this to teach ballistics..

Lead with the elbow..

Since the swing is a forward expression of force, the elbow is slightly in front of you

Close to you as possible for snatches and cleans as the force projection is upward for the snatch and the clean

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom