all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Elbow tendonitis

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

marcelotine

Level 4 Valued Member
Any suggestions on how to deal with,. mitigate, and or cure tendonitis of the elbows? Is there any strength training program that can help strengthen the elbow joints and arms?

I developed tendonitis from grappling and the lockdown hiatus helped me recover somewhat but elbows are feeling aggravated again from recent activity. I

Any suggestions on how to deal with,. mitigate, and or cure tendonitis of the elbows? Is there any strength training program that can help strengthen the elbow joints and arms?

I developed tendonitis from grappling and the lockdown hiatus helped me recover somewhat but elbows are feeling aggravated again from recent activity. I
Has this been diagnosed by a doctor? Or do you just have pain in the elbow?
Is it ‘golfers’ or ‘tennis’ elbow (inner or outer) or something else?

Wrist pronators, reverse wrist curls, finger extensors, (like the gadget @Don Fairbanks posted above) rice buckets, are all good for various elbow issues once properly diagnosed. E-stim is also a useful tool in the hands of one knowing how to properly use it.

(I’m a climber and we are notorious for messing up our elbows)

Currently dealing with a bit of medial epicondylitis of the humerus ( golfer's elbow ) myself. X Band and some hand/wrist stretching,smashing,icing seems to help.

Elbow section of vid begins at 3:30.

I cured myself of patellar tendonitis and (self diagnosed) elbow tendonitis following this:

Extremely useful resource from a reliable author.

Guys thank you so much for all the responses. I am going to look into each one.

@Don Fairbanks yes, i got these befire the lockdown and used them for a bit - need to get back to using them. Do you have any recommendations about reps/sets/frequency etc.

@offwidth I have had issue on an off over the last few years it ws really bad in March
My orthopedist diagnosed it as medial epicondylitis which is what I was guessing - that said it was a tele visit and not an in-person visit.

I developed elbow tendinitis about 18 years ago while I was powerlifting. Like a moron I ignored it which led to crazy OA in both arms, resulting in several surgeries. I still have limited range of motion in my right arm and near constant dull pain. Oh well, that’s life!
take a look at your training before lockdown, during, and after and see what was different during those three phased. Usually what causes us the problem is right in front of us. Wear elbow sleeves during your warm up and training, they are your friend. Nobody here cares about simple things that make training safe and healthy so don’t think you are cheating yourself or any one else. Use ice after, just don’t give yourself frostbite, another dumba$$ thing I have done. BIO FREEZE works if ice isn’t available. Lastly, give your elbows a chance to heal. When I get any type of joint flare up I stop for a week and just watch the diet and walk. I’m still making some progress, even if it’s just waking up tomorrow. I hope this helps and you are doing well.

"Graston Technique"

A few years ago, I had Golfer's Elbow. It is the same as Tennis Elbow but on the opposite side of the arm.

A Dr. David Foster, a Sports Chiropractor, showed me how to use the "Graston Technique" at home.

I was helping at a Powerlifting Meet. He showed my girl friend how to do it. We did it every day. It cured my problem.

You can do this on your own.

Last edited:
Guys thank you so much for all the responses. I am going to look into each one.

@Don Fairbanks yes, i got these befire the lockdown and used them for a bit - need to get back to using them. Do you have any recommendations about reps/sets/frequency etc.

@offwidth I have had issue on an off over the last few years it ws really bad in March
My orthopedist diagnosed it as medial epicondylitis which is what I was guessing - that said it was a tele visit and not an in-person visit.
@marcelotine , I keep the X Band on my desk and use on/off throughout the day. No particular set/rep range. I mix and match the stretching/flossing/smashing in the 3 Kabuki Strength elbow vids. I use old mtn. bike tubes for my voodoo/flossing bands.

The flexbars mentioned in the Stephen Low article have helped a lot of people. Important to learn correct technique and to only perform the eccentric- ie release and reset for each rep rather than twisting back into the starting position.

Excercise restraint. You have to do rehab, it won't get better with just rest. But it's very easy to be overambitious with how fast you can get back into lifting or whatever and make the problem much more serious. Learn from me and countless others on that one.

I cured myself of patellar tendonitis and (self diagnosed) elbow tendonitis following this:

Extremely useful resource from a reliable author.
Highly recommend this read. This has allowed me to return to pain free pull ups AND at a higher volume/intensity then previously.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom