all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Electricity-like pain on thigh while doing swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Smile-n-Nod

Level 5 Valued Member
I started learning KB swings a couple weeks ago. When I became comfortable with the swing, I started feeling a sensation like a mild electric shock over an area about 2" wide on the outside of my left thing just after the forward-swing starts.

I have learned to reduce the sensation by adjusting my stance and being careful to ensure my knees track my toes, and the sensation is almost nonexistent when I experiment with one-hand swings.

Could this be the result of a pinched nerve in my back? Should I be concerned? Thanks.

Could this be the result of a pinched nerve in my back? Should I be concerned? Thanks.

It can't be ruled out online, despite what some may say.

A competent clinician will be able to answer that question through a physical exam. Best to get it cleared. You should go see a doctor.

Welcome to the forum!

+1 for a competent clinician. It's reassuring that when keep your form the sensation goes away, but it shouldn't be there. Pain / weird sensations are our body's warning lights, don't ignore them.

It also might be connected to your immobile feet from the other thread, the body is one peace.

Hello,

I started feeling a sensation like a mild electric shock over an area about 2"
Sounds like a pinched nerve, but not sure at all. If I were you, I would go to see a doctor to clear it up.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Smile-n-Nod
Welcome...
Yes to what the others are saying about getting a competent medical professional to check it out.
Also when you mentioned that you were learning the swing a few weeks ago. Were you learning under the guidance of an instructor?

Again, welcome

Hello,

@Smile-n-Nod
+1 @offwidth question
Plus, what weight do you use ? There is no general rule because it depends on your build and previous physical condition, but, it is advised not to begin with a too heavy weight.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Smile-n-Nod
Welcome...
Yes to what the others are saying about getting a competent medical professional to check it out.
Also when you mentioned that you were learning the swing a few weeks ago. Were you learning under the guidance of an instructor?

Again, welcome

Self-taught, from books and online articles.

Hello,

@Smile-n-Nod
+1 @offwidth question
Plus, what weight do you use ? There is no general rule because it depends on your build and previous physical condition, but, it is advised not to begin with a too heavy weight.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I started with a 16-kg kettlebell. It might be a little too easy for swings, but it's definitely challenging for get-ups (my shoulders and arms are not strong).

1. Stop what you're doing
2. See a medial professional

My speculation (I'm not a medical professional) could be an IT band issue. I remember when I had a tight IT band, I had all sorts of annoying "shocking" pains up and down my leg.

Once a doctor truly tells you that's the case, I can anticipate you will focus on pure strength training (low rep counts with 5 minutes of rest) for your glutes. Hinge exercises helped my IT band woes.

Again I reiterate, don't do anything hasty until a professional tells you what's exactly going on.

It also can be piriformis syndrome. If you start to have local pain in the lower back, then it might be herniated disc or sciatica. You have to protect your back during swings. Most important thing is to cramp the glutes hard, breath behind the shield and pull the kneecaps up. For a while, avoid movements that irritates the symptoms. Get cleared by your doc and learn the technique.

One other consideration - if you have carefully looked at your exercise form and weight progression, and nothing else in your weekly activities brings on this sensation, consider changing your exercise selection. It is fair to believe that not every exercise program will work for all users.

Another of those mysterious exercise-related phrases I've never heard before. What in the world does it mean?

It means tighten your quads. At the top of the swing, you should be like a board. Legs tight, abs braced, glutes cramped, shoulders packed.

Without a kettlebell, practice a vertical jump without actually leaving the ground. The prep for the jump where you hinge your hips and get low? That's the hinge, or bottom of the swing. Then explode up into the jump but don't actually let your feet leave the ground. Legs tight? That's the top of the swing. Practice going back and forth, full tension at the top and bottom. Then bring that to your swing.

By the way, I'm not clear on where you are with your progression, but kettlebell deadlifts are a great prep for the movement pattern for swings. If someone doesn't have a good movement pattern (glutes, hamstrings, and quads all working together moving from hinge to plank) in the swing, I have them do deadlifts until they do. These are explained in the S&S book.

@Smile-n-Nod how is this going now? Did it clear up, get worse, stay the same? Did you do anything you think helped or see anyone for it?
(No shame if you didn't, personally trying to clear up a bit of discomfort without seeing a professional myself)

@Smile-n-Nod how is this going now? Did it clear up, get worse, stay the same? Did you do anything you think helped or see anyone for it?
(No shame if you didn't, personally trying to clear up a bit of discomfort without seeing a professional myself)

It stopped by itself after about a week. Not sure what happened.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom