Eliud Kipchoge ran a 1 hour and 59min marathon

Discussion in 'Other' started by Maine-ah KB, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Maine-ah KB

Maine-ah KB Quadruple-Digit Post Count

well thats impressive, Im not a runner and the idea of a marathon makes kinda nauseous but this is just impressive. the example of how fast he ran for the time.

Anna C likes this.
  2. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Forum Administrator Senior Certified Instructor

Very impressive but apparently not legal for record-setting purposes because he had too many pacers.

-S-

offwidth and Maine-ah KB like this.
  3. Denny Phillips

Denny Phillips Triple-Digit Post Count

It's certainly understandable that there must be rules and that are sound reasons for establishing those rules, although the record might have been secondary in terms of his goal.

Roughly 4:35 per mile and just over 13 mph? Wow...

Maine-ah KB likes this.
  4. LukeV

LukeV More than 300 posts

Full credit to the guy for awesomeness but when you see the environment created specifically for this effort I was reminded of the difference between an equipped and unequipped lift. No competition marathon in history has ever been run like that. Mind you perhaps the psychology has now changed from will we ever to when we do and that can make all the difference

The Greatest, Fakest World Record

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    Oscar, Bro Mo and Bauer like this.
  5. offwidth

offwidth More than 5000 posts

Pretty amazing for sure...

But...

This has happened many times in athletic (and other) history. One just has to show that it can be done, then the records start to fall.

It was once thought that climbing an 8,000m peak (like Everest) was impossible. And once that had been accomplished, it was thought to be impossible without the use of supplemental O2. Most climbers today consider the use of O2 cheating. (Although the hoards of Tourist 'climbers' use it all the time)

The sub 2 marathon has been a holy grail for decades. I wager it won't be too many years until we see an official record in a race.

WhatWouldHulkDo, LukeV, Ulven and 2 others like this.
  6. godjira1

godjira1 Triple-Digit Post Count

i am not even sure my apartment gym treadmill can go up to that speed... amazing stuff.

7. apa

apa Triple-Digit Post Count

Truly an amazing athlete.

8. Norville Barnes

Norville Barnes Double-Digit Post Count

Impressive for sure, but much like a gym PR in that conditions were perfect and there was no competition other than himself.

It was not a race, therefore not eligible for the world record designation.

I concur, now that it has been shown to be possible it may be achieved again in the near future.

9. vegpedlr

vegpedlr More than 500 posts

Savage.

When track surfaces changed, records were obliterated. The marathon is the only Olympic run not done on the track, but open roads, which makes for slower times. So changing the conditions shows that yes, humans CAN run that fast.

Respect.

Tim Randolph likes this.
  10. WhatWouldHulkDo

WhatWouldHulkDo Quadruple-Digit Post Count

I'm trying to get my head around the idea of a 4:35 mile being so ridiculously easy that you just go stack up 26 of them.

Like, if this guy happens to be sitting on the couch watching TV for an hour, does he actually need to breath? Does his heart even bother to beat?

Phil12, wespom9, Tim Randolph and 3 others like this.
  11. wespom9

wespom9 More than 500 posts Certified Instructor

Amazing feat. I couldn't care less if it qualifies as a world record. As others have said, all it takes is one to prove it can be done. What a historical moment in athleticism and human achievement.
    I don't know much about him personally, but interviews I've seen make him seem like a very humble person.

12. vegpedlr

vegpedlr More than 500 posts

Most beautiful running stride I’ve ever seen.