all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Encounagement: TGUs and Overcoming Fear

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Ryan T

Level 6 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
From Intimidated to Confident and Capable: The Power of Practicing Strength | StrongFirst

I read this article and was reflecting on my own experiences, especially around the TGU. The the time I was able to do a 1RM 32kg TGU was HUGE for me. The trainer I was working with at the time had told me he thought I had the strength and skill long before the attempt and it was really a mental thing at that point. The first time I did a TGU with a 24kg was on accident. My trainer gave me a 24kg, pretending to give me a 20kg and I didn't notice until I had finished the TGU :)

As I've posted elsewhere I've had a significant layoff and I'm working my way back in/up. Right now the TGU 1RM is a 24kg and I regularly practice with a 20kg. To me, each TGU that feels solid is an accomplishment and anytime I move up in weight is HUGE. Seeing men and women put up what I would heavy TGUs is really inspiring to me. I think regular, steady practice with TGUs can do wonders for dealing with fear and confidence. I can't imagine more than a few days passing without doing them in some form, even if it's just unweighted for warm-up or cool-down.

Strength does not come easily for me; it is hard won. Simple feels far away, but I am excited to work toward it. My goal is 2018 but I am patient and not attached to that timeline if my body isn't ready.

Cheers!

The instability of the bell in a TGU can be really intimidating! The great thing is that it is sort of like riding a bike. When you get enough experience with it, you can layoff for a long time and still get a TGU with a fairly heavy bell. Some people like a basic powerlifting program for novice strength training but if a person is not going to compete in powerlifting meets, I like Simple and Sinister better. It forces good patterns in some fundamental movements. It is treating strength training as "loaded movement" which is ideal for life.

When I was training for a time at a well equipped gym, I was dialing TGUs in with stacked KBs. Doing multiples with 80lbs - 60 and 20 stacked - essentially to failure (is not an option) and then drop setting a few more with the 60. This does wonders for basic confidence and also form awareness.

Psychologically you dig deep in a hurry when you realize maybe you shouldn't have stood up that last time and now need to get prone with control.

The windmill is the biggest challenge for me. There was one time, a long time ago, where I got destabilized and the bell pulled my arm backward. As a matter of instinct I tried to resist the pull, but thankfully, I let go of the bell before too much damage was done to my shoulder. It was pretty scary because I realized how badly I could have been hurt. That's the portion of the movement that always feels unsafe. I try hard to keep my shoulder packed and lat fully engaged and holding the bell directly over the shoulder. The first time I tried the 32kg, the same thing would have happened if I hadn't had my spotter there.

I've only trained the 6 core lifts, but the TGU seems to be the most technically demanding in the hardstyle world. I know that the point of all of this is to develop the skill of strength through neuromuscular patterning, proprioception, tensioning and mental fortitude. So I have a love and fear relationship with the TGU. I would like to be able to accomplish Sinister in the next 3 years. Perhaps I'll take a break from them at that point :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom