all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Endurance-focused sessions for groups with a wide range of abilities

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

psmith

Level 5 Valued Member
All,

I'm interested in ideas you might have for training sessions for groups with a wide variety of different abilities. Think PE class or small military unit. 10-20 people, endurance focus, minimal equipment.

The specific context is a wildland fire crew--hiking with a pack and aggressive landscaping are ultimately what we're training for. Training gets interrupted all the time, so a detailed multi-week training cycle progressing towards a peak is probably off the table--we need to not get people hurt, not burn them out mentally, and hopefully increase fitness over time albeit with a good deal of variation around the central trendline. I'd rather just have people train on their own but a lot of the guys aren't very self-motivated or will do dumb bodybuilding stuff given the opportunity, and we get paid time to PT anyway.

Current session formats include:

-out-and-back runs or loops. We usually get pretty strung out, but the fast guys circle back to pick up the stragglers.
-runs with random calisthenics every lap/5:00/10:00. Not super happy with these so far, tend to devolve into random beatdowns rather than focused training, but maybe there's a better way to set it up.
-"bump runs"--stay together in single file passing a football or similar back through the line, 10-20 pushups or burpees or whatever if someone drops it. when it gets to the end of the line, last man sprints it up to the front. I hadn't been exposed to this before I started working with these guys, but I actually quite like it as a way to keep everyone together on runs without blowing out the slow guys and while letting the fast guys sprint every so often.
-hikes--usually up a hill to a specific destination with gear. again, the fast guys usually circle back to pick up the stragglers, or carry some extra stuff.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

You might want to check with @Karl and @Griff
I haven't seen them active on the forums for a while, but they are both in this line of work.

We always used ability group runs, but that is challenging with such a small group. When we did it, everyone ran for the same period of time, but the faster groups ran farther. If you were dropped by your group, you had to move down for at least a week before you could try to move up again. Super motivating to try to move up a group. With such a small group, you could probably only have 3 groups, at most though.

We always used ability group runs, but that is challenging with such a small group. When we did it, everyone ran for the same period of time, but the faster groups ran farther. If you were dropped by your group, you had to move down for at least a week before you could try to move up again. Super motivating to try to move up a group. With such a small group, you could probably only have 3 groups, at most though.

Thanks. That could work, especially with different roles within the crew (saws up front and so forth.).

You might want to check with @Karl and @Griff
I haven't seen them active on the forums for a while, but they are both in this line of work.

Thanks. I'll shoot out a PM or two.

Buddy carries and drags can be good ways to work more strength with no equipment. Lunges while fireman's carrying someone isn't for the faint at heart.

Pushups with everyone's feet on the others shoulders in a big circle so only hands are on the ground requires good teamwork and strength.

Last edited by a moderator:
Distance interval run/ jog with pauses for rock or log carries, squats, lunges, throws, metronome passes (you and a partner press one end of a log back and forth likeca metronome) ,other calisthenics. Use variations that people can self select based on fitness - bigger rocks or logs, or foot elevated pushups etc.

Even the more fit members might drop to easier variations as the intervals accumulate.

Folks that cover the run faster get a longer break but go harder, folks that use an easy jog have less rest.

Impose a drop dead time per interval where you have to begin the next one even if you haven't finished. Those folks will get a whupping, but also be doing less work.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom