all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Endurance Programs

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 5559

I've always been told the way to improve strength endurance is simply more volume. Looking at daily programs like fighter pull-up, the weekly volume builds pretty quick and linearly. However, for higher rep movements like push-ups, squats, etc. is there a place for introducing more lactic acid and fatigue to help build endurance?

Specifically, I'm looking to compare results between traditional drop set programs like fighter pull-up and something like rest/pause protocols for strength endurance. I've done a few weeks of fighter pull-up before but have never really tried daily rest/pause specific training. Anyone else done it? How many rest/pause sets would are good for daily training?

Where on the spectrum does traditional sets x reps fit or power specific like reps per minute?

Hello,

@Bro Mo
I did not try on a daily basis, but what I did with pistol squats was on a 3 days a week basis.

I did 3 sets of max rep (technical failure) with very low rest (25s between legs). From a session to another, I was able to add at least 2 or 3 reps per leg, to the total volume.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hi Bro Mo

You ask a good question. I searched the research literature through and through trying to answer that question for myself when I was training hundreds of Midshipmen at the Naval Academy. I always wanted to ensure that I was using scientifically valid programs. There was nothing....nada....zip in the research data. Mountain Tactical Institute finally tried to answer this question with a research study but they had too high of a drop out rate and ended up with too few research subjects. My take, after working with lots of people, is that if you can only do a few (i.e., less than 25 or so), then higher volume with no sets to failure is best (because you are working on a strength deficit). If you can already do a bunch (i.e., >40), then perhaps training to failure might be better (because you are working on extending the point at metabolic fatigue). We seemed to get progress either way though.

@Bro Mo, the Girevoy Sport folks have their own ways of going about improving, and it's just not about volume. You might want to look into what they do, e.g., my memory of the coaching cert I took 10 years ago or so was that 3 days a week of GS style snatches was the norm, none of them max efforts, and there were a variety of ways to progress, e.g., sometimes you'd work on getting more reps in a given time with a given weight while at other times you'd work on increasing the time but not the speed per minute of the reps, and the weight was also a variable, e.g., you'd build up and up and up with a certain weight, then drop down and run through the whole thing again with a heavier weight.

-S-

I've worked through some of Rob's programs before. I think he used to do more with simply adding reps and sets on his plan progressions and has since shifted to a more density bias - probably based on what he's seen with his athletes. I have always liked density work because it is so easy to micro adjust variables. It looks like GS can be similar - increase time, then RPMs, then weight. I suppose rest/pause is ok periodically but I feel like the bulk is best done with increasing overall power output. If there was a great shortcut, it would likely be more prevalent.

The Russian Bear protocol is good for strength endurance. Sets of five, with a challenging weight, with short rest until death. Steve Justa writes about strength endurance workouts where you take short tests and lift for one, two, or more hours. One from his book was Squat Lockouts Off Pins for reps of five with a crazy weight for two hours.

I wanted to follow-up on this thread. I did a couple months of density work since August. It helped up to a point but I hit a plateau not as high as I want it to be. I did not try rest-pause for long. I couldn't figure out the frequency for it to work well for me.

I'm currently doing more GTG which feels more effective for lower rep movements but not quite as effective for the higher rep movements like push-ups. In between the density work and my current GTG work I did a few weeks that included floor presses which maintained my push-ups with less volume.

Something I'm interested in trying after I've done a few weeks of this current GTG is to explore the effects of post-activation potentiation by doing weighted reps followed immediately by lighter reps. I don't know what the reps and intensities will look like yet; I'm hoping to get some input to help guide that. Suggestions?

Hello,

@Bro Mo
Contrast training can be very interesting to gain lots of power and also getting some conditioning. I'd do 1 set of 2 - 3 reps (@90% of 1 RM), immediately followed by a set of about 6 - 8 reps of a plyo exercise
Contrast Training For Power and Explosiveness | T Nation
Workout Systems: Contrast Training | Poliquin Article

There is also an "alternative" (but maybe you are not interested in it !): the tempo training
Mass That Works – Build Some Functional Hypertrophy - STRENGTH SENSEI
This option is based on a slow negative, and a fast positive phase

Kind regards,

Pet'

I've recently been experimenting with Giant sets (circuit sets?) for hypertrophy and conditioning. I haven't been doing it long enough to say but I think such an approach could work for muscular endurance. example 30sec pushup 30 sec lighter renegade 30 seconds plank, 30 seconds rest. again theory haven't done it enough to know.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom