all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Endurance training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Paul Nathan

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi,

I have been working in semi-faithful fashion on S+S since Marchish. I've really enjoyed it, and I can tell the difference in physical strength and stability.

However, I really want to work on longer-duration exercises. My body & heart has adapted well to the 10-20 minutes of kettlebell swings, but doing activity that is more endurance based, such as running, is not its forte (specific adaptation principle!) I would like to take some time this fall and look into doing a 30-50 minute practice with the kettlebells focused on training the heart & breathing efficacy.

While I can cook up my own "program", I'd rather take an established program for this kind of thing and work it for a while. What programs would be recommended for this kind of longer duration endurance training?

Have you considered adding in some easy locomotion instead of changing what you’re doing with kettlebells. I like to walk/ruck, many here run, bike or use the rower too. It seems it has a different but synergistic effect on the cardiovascular system.

As far as long kettlebell practices go, I’d suggest doing sets of 5 swings with full recovery between, up to your desired duration. 25-40 repeats should be about right

If the goal is endurance, then you could consider learning the two main kettlebell sport lifts: the snatch and long-cycle. The goal of GS lifting is to lift efficiently and for a long duration. If you rather stick with the SF style of lifting, then you could look at the Serious Endurance program by @aciampa.

Why don't you just run and do strength training separately instead of trying to mix the two in one workout?

To amplify the point, any time you combine endurance and strength in the same training session (i.e., high rep work, or circuit training), it is a compromise. It is not ideal for strength, and not ideal for endurance. However, it can be a good choice, depending on your goals and time availability. If you have the time, splitting the workouts is much better and comes closer to ideal. It is hard to beat basic barbell training and running (or rucking) as a productive combination. I would alternate every other day, or 6 days per week with one day off for older trainees.

@fractal I have become a bit of a believer in working through programs designed by experts who build a more optimal plan than I can do solo. I faffed around in gyms for years without improving my body in meaningful ways. Hence my looking for a program.

@mprevost I hear you. The simple answer is that I'm not fond of walking for walking's sake, and running is hard on joints in general- while I do it, and like it well enough, I would prefer to use kettlebells as a tool to amplify the training efficacy. I've had enough injuries related to running that I'm just not *that* enthused about doing it without a target in mind - building to 10k or whatever. Call it an aftereffect of 15 years sitting behind a computer screen. :-S

I'm not really aiming to maximize strength or endurance gains, but to look to sit somewhere in the middle. Which is also why I like kettlebell work, it occupies the middle ground. I'm just a schmo trying to exist in good health.

@North Coast Miller @SuperGirevik I've been thinking about snatch / long cycle work; it seems that VWC is targeting that area nicely.

@mprevost I hear you. The simple answer is that I'm not fond of walking for walking's sake, and running is hard on joints in general- while I do it, and like it well enough, I would prefer to use kettlebells as a tool to amplify the training efficacy. I've had enough injuries related to running that I'm just not *that* enthused about doing it without a target in mind - building to 10k or whatever. Call it an aftereffect of 15 years sitting behind a computer screen. :-S

I'm not really aiming to maximize strength or endurance gains, but to look to sit somewhere in the middle. Which is also why I like kettlebell work, it occupies the middle ground. I'm just a schmo trying to exist in good health.

Laird Hamilton's circuit training routines may interest you then. They would be a good fit for what you want. You could also do Simple and Sinister with one added barbell lift per day. Something like:

Simple and Sinister (S&S) + bench press
S&S + squat
S&S + pullup
day off
Repeat.....

Lots of options would work.

Hi,

I have been working in semi-faithful fashion on S+S since Marchish. I've really enjoyed it, and I can tell the difference in physical strength and stability.

However, I really want to work on longer-duration exercises. My body & heart has adapted well to the 10-20 minutes of kettlebell swings, but doing activity that is more endurance based, such as running, is not its forte (specific adaptation principle!) I would like to take some time this fall and look into doing a 30-50 minute practice with the kettlebells focused on training the heart & breathing efficacy.

While I can cook up my own "program", I'd rather take an established program for this kind of thing and work it for a while. What programs would be recommended for this kind of longer duration endurance training?
What is your endurance goal?

@fractal I have become a bit of a believer in working through programs designed by experts who build a more optimal plan than I can do solo. I faffed around in gyms for years without improving my body in meaningful ways. Hence my looking for a program.

@North Coast Miller @SuperGirevik I've been thinking about snatch / long cycle work; it seems that VWC is targeting that area nicely.

Hello Paul, VWC is indeed a fine program, it will condition the heart and full body. The WTH effects that come along with the program are real and plentiful.

The program does have some serious costs associated with it however. I started with 12k x 7 reps on the 15:15 protocol building up to 80 sets on a few occasions, then I moved to 16k x 7 reps and again worked up to 80 sets for a few. After that moved to 16k x 8 reps and again worked up to 80 sets. I moved quickly through the progressions, too quickly and paid a price.
Right about the time I peaked the weather turned super hot and made VWC much tougher. I stuck with it for another month or so then stopped.
My main goal was to use VWC to strengthen my injured shoulder enough to handle heavier snatching on a regular basis. It worked very well, now I'm happily snatching using the A+A template by Al Ciampa.

If you want 'schmo' strength and conditioning I would strongly suggest Al's A+A swings or snatches. VWC is great and I enjoyed it but it can't be done too often or you'll fry like I did, twice per week max is what I would recommend.

Regarding walking I have developed a new appreciation for it as part of an overall recovery and base builder, it's hard to beat. If you can't stand walking, rowing would be my next choice, I'm doing both now and really thriving with it, I've never had the patience for consistent LED work before.

@Anna C mentioned a VWC related program which I think you'd get benefit from as well, it was something along the lines of 5 snatches per 30 second block for 40 mins.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Last edited:
My endurance work is a 3-5 km run followed by :15/:15 snatch and jump rope

Eg yesterday was:
- 4 km run
5 ROUNDS OF:
- 12 x ( :15 on/:15 off) snatch (18 kg kb)
- 1 minute jumping rope

Once in a while I Just do the vwc without jumping rope after the run. Normally I do this twice a week. Sometimes turning it around, starting with vwc and finishing with a run. I do other kb work on 2 other days. For me this works perfectly.

Hi,

Have you looked into doing the strength endurance seminar? I just did it, and I can tell you that they talk about it specifically in there. It's seriously some legit stuff.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom