all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Endurance with bodyweight training for MA

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

vincent

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi everybody

My name is vincent, i'm french so forgive me if my english is bad . I would like to know how to train my endurance for martial arts (self defense) without any equipment.

Thank you

What type of martial art(s) do you practice? Knowing that might help people give you some suggestions.
And when you say 'no equipment'... What about a place to do pull-ups?

What type of martial art(s) do you practice? Knowing that might help people give you some suggestions.
And when you say 'no equipment'... What about a place to do pull-ups?
I practice self defense and a bit of mma. I have no equipment except a pull up bar .

I'm sure many others way more qualified than I am will weigh in, but with no equipment; my initial thoughts would be a mixture of:

Naked Warrior (NW) - basically One Arm Push Ups (OAPU), and Pistols
Fighter Pull-ups... (Aptly named!)
MAF style running

Maybe throw in some Leopard and Spider-Man crawling

I'm sure many others way more qualified than I am will weigh in, but with no equipment; my initial thoughts would be a mixture of:

Naked Warrior (NW) - basically One Arm Push Ups (OAPU), and Pistols
Fighter Pull-ups... (Aptly named!)
MAF style running

Maybe throw in some Leopard and Spider-Man crawling
I already practice naked warrior for strengh . But i'm searching a way to work my endurance . So you think MAF style running is adequate?

Do you just practice mma or do you participate in fights aswell?
If you're fighting than MAF style running to build a basis and 5-6 weeks ahead of the fight switch to glycolyctic endurance ala 8x400m, 10x200m or hillsprints.
If you just want to build endurance without the special preparation for a special event like a fight go for 2-3 MAF style runs per week and one glycolyctic session once every 2 weeks.
Look up Joel Jamieson for some insight on endurance (especially for fighters) or send a PM to Al Ciampa here on the forum.

Crawling, like offwidth mentions, is a good tool. Go for time or distance. Look up Original Strength and Original Strength Performance.
A friend of mine swears by sandbag boxing as a conditioning tool - 30sec all out boxing followed by 30sec rest for 10-20min.

Do you just practice mma or do you participate in fights aswell?
If you're fighting than MAF style running to build a basis and 5-6 weeks ahead of the fight switch to glycolyctic endurance ala 8x400m, 10x200m or hillsprints.
If you just want to build endurance without the special preparation for a special event like a fight go for 2-3 MAF style runs per week and one glycolyctic session once every 2 weeks.
Look up Joel Jamieson for some insight on endurance (especially for fighters) or send a PM to Al Ciampa here on the forum.

Crawling, like offwidth mentions, is a good tool. Go for time or distance. Look up Original Strength and Original Strength Performance.
A friend of mine swears by sandbag boxing as a conditioning tool - 30sec all out boxing followed by 30sec rest for 10-20min.
Ok, thank you for your help. It's true that sandbag is a great conditionning tool. Simple and effective.

Alternate programming for Naked Warrior?

My response on here about my personal OAPU+Pistol routine might give you some inspiration; in terms of the effect it has on the body's energy systems it might be one of the closest things to a 'bodyweight S&S', in that I'm going for A+A-style conditioning, but with bodyweight grinds as opposed to kettlebell quick lifts, and it can be done in 20-30mins. It certainly works very well for GPP training, thus being suitable for a martial arts fitness foundation (I'm a novice amateur boxer).

Alternate programming for Naked Warrior?

My response on here about my personal OAPU+Pistol routine might give you some inspiration; in terms of the effect it has on the body's energy systems it might be one of the closest things to a 'bodyweight S&S', in that I'm going for A+A-style conditioning, but with bodyweight grinds as opposed to kettlebell quick lifts, and it can be done in 20-30mins. It certainly works very well for GPP training, thus being suitable for a martial arts fitness foundation (I'm a novice amateur boxer).
Ok. Thank you for your help . Don't hesitate to share other training ideas with me when you want. It could be helpful for me.

Hi everybody

My name is vincent, i'm french so forgive me if my english is bad . I would like to know how to train my endurance for martial arts (self defense) without any equipment.

Thank you
Pushups, one arm pushups and one legged squats.
The "run and jab" drill is good as is shadow boxing and the like.

The old days Karate masters basically did pushups and running by the way.

Pushups, one arm pushups and one legged squats.
The "run and jab" drill is good as is shadow boxing and the like.

The old days Karate masters basically did pushups and running by the way.
Ok thank you for your answer.

As if you need more input, here's an good article from a while back to do some thinking on: Strength Aerobics. Kind of along the lines of what @Harry Westgate suggested. I would do little to no Naked Warrior style training on the days you do the strength aerobics training, but Harry might be more of an authority on that. If the bodyweight version works as well as the kettlebell version does, you'll be in for some good results.

As if you need more input, here's an good article from a while back to do some thinking on: Strength Aerobics. Kind of along the lines of what @Harry Westgate suggested. I would do little to no Naked Warrior style training on the days you do the strength aerobics training, but Harry might be more of an authority on that. If the bodyweight version works as well as the kettlebell version does, you'll be in for some good results.
Ok, thank you Snowman

@Snowman while I feel honoured to be called an 'authority' in any sense of the word on this forum, I will just reiterate what I've said before on other posts, that I am in no way certified/qualified and any advice I offer is from my individual experience. I imagine it still applies to others, but still take it with a pinch of salt ;).

Also to everyone, make sure you read the StrongFirst Roadwork blog by Pavel. I'm personally experimenting with perfecting a true 'bodyweight S&S' with some inspiration from both SF roadwork and Strength Aerobics. I shall keep all informed of my efforts! :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom