all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Energy systems, PTTP, looking for a new program

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

John Kowalski

Level 2 Valued Member
I’m currently recovering from high intensity workouts and looking for a new way to train. Here are some of my questions:

1. Which energy systems are used/developed in PTTP 2x5 routine?

2. Is this program enough for building “general endurance/work capacity”?

3. Do I need to supplement this program with some kind of aerobic/cardiovascular exercise or is it enough for general well-being?

My goals are:

1. Maintaining strength (increasing wouldn’t hurt though).

2. Being able to play recreational sports, do manual labor, defend myself in a street fight.

3. Maintaining muscle mass and low bf levels.

4. Maintaining steady energy levels during the day.

Preferences:

1. Could be minimalistic, but I don't mind spending some time practicing.

2. Joints sparing/low injury risk.

1. Which energy systems are used/developed in PTTP 2x5 routine?

2. Is this program enough for building “general endurance/work capacity”?

3. Do I need to supplement this program with some kind of aerobic/cardiovascular exercise or is it enough for general well-being?
IMHO:

1. I don't know - it's anaerobic. @aciampa?

2. That depends on what you need. One acquires greater endurance at easy tasks, e.g., walking, just from being stronger. But endurance at a higher level, e.g., the ability to do lots of swings or snatches, requires more training than just strength training.

3. See above. I have found my own general well-being served by strength training and nothing else, although I do strength-endurance training like swings from time to time because I think it may make me healthier overall, and also because I may wish to compete at a TSC where I'll need it.

-S-

For the last few months I’ve been doing one set to failure, it promised global metabolic conditioning - anaerobic, aerobic all in one, but I don’t want to do it anymore because I just don’t feel good. In the articles found here this type of training is called “chasing the burn” or “killing oneself in glycolytic window”. I guess S&S is alactic-aerobic, but I need something compatible with free-weights or bodyweight exercises.

I'm not comfortable talking science but I am always open to providing an opinion ;)

I like OTM clean & presses/jerks for a super simple barbell program. 10 minutes of 2-3 reps OTM at about 75% 1RM. It's still the same basic muscle groups as PTTP but a little more on the conditioning side.

@John Kowalski

1) Protocol for PTTP has you working in the Phosphagen system first (high effort / short duration) and then edges into glycolitic (moderate effort and duration) prior to rest. This is why Pavel has the rest period as 3-5 minutes to fully recover and restore phosphocreatine for the Phosphagen system.

2) Yes, a good GPP program.

3) Due to the volume and frequency of PTTP I would just put everything you have into it for the recommended time frame. Once complete, moving on to the Program Minimum (S & S) would be a logical step to realize your stated goals through the variety provided from swings and getups.

1. I don't know - it's anaerobic. @aciampa?

We don't speak in terms of energy systems when discussing the strength side of the strength-conditioning spectrum.

I agree with BroMo, though I would push the duration out further.

We are aerobic animals; and, in the context of sedentary life (re: you are not a lumberjack) cannot maximize training benefits without walking or running. Reconcile this however you like.

In not quite the same way, I am completely on board with the thinking of Andrew Read and Kenneth Jay.

As Al and I have talked about before, I walk all the time, whether or not I have swings or "conditioning" work in my program, and I am happy with the results in terms of how I feel, body composition, and the like. My pulse doesn't typically get up to the MAF-recommended level on flat ground but I feel confident I am still reaping some of the benefits of that sort of training and, of course, it's not always flat where I walk so my HR does spend some time there.

-S-

@aciampa Do you have any guidance on duration and volume differences between unilateral and bilateral movements?

Hello,

@John Kowalski
For the last few months I’ve been doing one set to failure
It is "normal" not feeling good because going each time to failure is very taxing and exhausting for CNS.

Considering your goal, an option could bePTTP for strength training, and then adding 2 or 3 times a week, a 100 swings session. It would be minimalistic, not time-consuming, sustainable.

Kind regards,

Pet'

We are aerobic animals; and, in the context of sedentary life (re: you are not a lumberjack) cannot maximize training benefits without walking or running. Reconcile this however you like.
Not with Kettlebell swings and no walking or running?

-S-

Is there a goal in PTTP? Clearly getting strong but is there a standard to aim for, like S&S? Double bw for deadlift, or similar? Or do you just keep adding weight, backing off, do another cycle?

Is there a goal in PTTP? Clearly getting strong but is there a standard to aim for, like S&S? Double bw for deadlift, or similar? Or do you just keep adding weight, backing off, do another cycle?
One could ask the same question about almost any training program. The goal of PTTP's main program is to improve strength with a minimum of hypertrophy and a maximum focus on skill.

There is no "Simple" or "Sinister" but one could easily enough come up with them, e.g., 500 lbs. on the deadlift would get my vote for Sinister. 300 lbs. for Simple since it's about the same percentage of 500 lbs. as 32 kg is of 48 kg.

-S-

@Steve Freides, as ever thanks for your quick response. Interesting comparison to S&S there. I have, or had perhaps, the book but couldn't find it. Lots of strength info in there but never really delved into the details of the programme itself, hence my question. 2017, maybe the year of the deadlift for me, we'll see.....cheers

300 and 500 seem about right. I'm onboard for an informal definition of such.

I don't know if it's because of avoiding failure or the glycolytic pathway or both, but it's been only a few days and I feel/sleep noticeably better.

Hello,

@John Kowalski

Both of them.

Anti-glycolytic is much more sustainable on the long term. I used to do "lots of" HIIT (3 or 4 times a week). It is exhausting. You can sustain this rythm only a few months, to prepare a meet for example.

Failure is taxing for CNS...I consider it almost toxic

Kind regards,

Pet'
Well, according to the information from strongfirst's blogs, you could actually perform HIIT in a alactic-aerobic style, for example: 10 sec hill sprint with a 3 minutes recovery. But what I did was high intensity strength training - I performed each set for a duration of 1-2 minutes.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom