all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Enter the Kettlebell PLUS

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

william bad butt

Level 7 Valued Member
ETK+ is my favorite of Pavels kettlebell programs, from the 2009 MILO magazine. This program does not appear to be very popular because I never read about others doing it. I like this program because it allows me to do a little bit of everything, swings, presses, snatches, clean and jerks, front squats, pull ups, single kettlebell work and double kettles work. It satisfies my workout ADD yet still applies the "same but different " philosophy. A great program that builds strength, hypertrophy, and conditioning. Plus it doesn't demand much time on a weekly basis.

Currently I am following a powerlifting routine (powerliftingtowin intermediate program progression) and I have been doing 2 days per week S&S with great success. I've recently switched from S&S to a 2 day per week ETK+ inspired program to cover my mobility, conditioning, hypertrophy, and weak point training. I do one GRIND day and one BALLISTIC day per week. I've been enjoying the change of pace.

I have no questions for the group, just curious if anyone else out there has had success with this program or a derivative of it?

Is the ETK+ out there for free or do I need to buy a book or similar to get a hold of it?

Obreaslainp, thanks for the links! Pavels comment in 2010:

Comrades, ETK+ allows one to incorporate the RTK double drills (jerks, snatches, front squats, push presses, presses) into an ETK style template. Unlike RTK, it is not a muscle and strength specialization program but a sports oriented GPP plan like ETK which leaves enough energy for your sports practice.

I did a BALLISTIC excersise sunday. Double kettlebell swings with a 24 and 28 kg bell for 7 minutes. 5 minute break. Then double jerks with a 32 and 28 kg bells for 12 minutes. 24 total minutes of hard work that builds up my GPP without taking too much out of me.

With apologies for resurrecting such an old thread, I became intrigued by ETK+ when I saw @william bad butt refer to it in the current ROTK thread. There's so little written about it anywhere, though I've now had a read through the old DD posts and to the couple of references to it here at SF. I'm basically echoing the OP and wondering whether there have been any new insights on the program in the ensuing years. Right after a slightly-too-heavy ROP (and feeling a little beaten up), this seems like it could be a real breath of fresh air to sit on for a while, perhaps in combo with a couple of days of S&S before embarking on something like TTC.

To anyone who has done it, what results have you experienced from it? What have you enjoyed most about it? What have you combined it with, if anything? What drawbacks have you found, if any? @william bad butt have you kept it in rotation?

Many thanks in advance!

With apologies for resurrecting such an old thread, I became intrigued by ETK+ when I saw @william bad butt refer to it in the current ROTK thread. There's so little written about it anywhere, though I've now had a read through the old posts and to the couple of references to it here at SF. I'm basically echoing the OP and wondering whether there have been any new insights on the program in the ensuing years. Right after a slightly-too-heavy ROP (and feeling a little beaten up), this seems like it could be a real breath of fresh air to sit on for a while, perhaps in combo with a couple of days of S&S before embarking on something like TTC.

To anyone who has done it, what results have you experienced from it? What have you enjoyed most about it? What have you combined it with, if anything? What drawbacks have you found, if any? @william bad butt have you kept it in rotation?

Many thanks in advance!

I still do this program when I'm not powerlifting. To me it is Park Bench or Easy Strength type of program. Its 4 training days per week, 2 Grind and 2 Ballistic. Dice are rolled to vary the excersise and time.

My personal tweaks to the program (not the program from the article): I dont worry about Time. I vary the excersise, the weight, and the volume (via dice). I take appropriate rest as needed. This also means that I dont follow the Heavy/Medium/Light days since my Intensities are determined via the dice.

1 trap to avoid: This is a very flexible program. Dont include so much variability that you dont improve via specificity. For example, follow the "less is more" philosophy in terms of selecting the number of excersises. 3 types of squats may be better than varying 6, for example.

Example Grind day: double kbell presses, then kbell front squats, pullups hanging from towels, then finally single arm presses.

Example Ballistic day: double kbell clean and jerk, then followed by single arm snatches.

If you try the program, let us know what you think!

Regards,

Eric

Reading thru ETK+ and I actually like the layout.. I may need to re-read it before I get a better grasp, or wait for the coffee to take full effect (maybe both)

Such a great program just by looking at it, as it bridges ETK to ROTK but also helps keep those with training ADD satisfied

Anyone knows where I can buy a Digital Edition? I can order 17.3 from IronMind, but it takes 3 weeks and $20 shipping. Rather had it yesterday, hehe :)

Last edited:
@Tjerr, the few times I've contact IronMind, their customer service has always been good - you might reach out to them directly.

-S-

I still do this program when I'm not powerlifting. To me it is Park Bench or Easy Strength type of program. Its 4 training days per week, 2 Grind and 2 Ballistic. Dice are rolled to vary the excersise and time.

My personal tweaks to the program (not the program from the article): I dont worry about Time. I vary the excersise, the weight, and the volume (via dice). I take appropriate rest as needed. This also means that I dont follow the Heavy/Medium/Light days since my Intensities are determined via the dice.

1 trap to avoid: This is a very flexible program. Dont include so much variability that you dont improve via specificity. For example, follow the "less is more" philosophy in terms of selecting the number of excersises. 3 types of squats may be better than varying 6, for example.

Example Grind day: double kbell presses, then kbell front squats, pullups hanging from towels, then finally single arm presses.

Example Ballistic day: double kbell clean and jerk, then followed by single arm snatches.

If you try the program, let us know what you think!

Regards,

Eric
Thanks for sharing! Sounds really cool.

So how is your decision tree? Which kind of die/dice rolls do you do?

a) 3 types of each exercise (assigned to 1,2 / 3,4 / 5,6 ?)
b) weight (as described in ETK+ ?)
c) volume/intensity ... ?

And no 2 dice roll for time?

Thanks for sharing! Sounds really cool.

So how is your decision tree? Which kind of die/dice rolls do you do?

a) 3 types of each exercise (assigned to 1,2 / 3,4 / 5,6 ?)
b) weight (as described in ETK+ ?)
c) volume/intensity ... ?

And no 2 dice roll for time?

Here's my ballistics template

1,2 straight jerks
3,4 c and j + straight jerks bottom sets
5, 6 c and j

@Bauer

Here is something I wrote for somebody on ETK+. It is long sorry, you may be interested. Regards,

Eric

5 / 9
Documented below are some details on how the ETK+ program has evolved for me (below is the final evolution, to date). I recognize that I am changing the program quite a bit and some people would have issue with this, technically it is no longer ETK+. I am OK with this. I must do what works for me. Biologically, we are all practically the same, so if it works for me there is a good chance it will work for you, right? Disclaimer: One final comment. I am not a qualified coach or trainer. I am not in the fitness business. I am really not qualified to give any advice, so be careful when reading this. I am a 40 year old who has been training, somewhat seriously, since age 18. Also, I have spent a significantly more time and energy educating myself on Strength and Conditioning training vs the general population.
GOALS: I typically do this after a Bus Bench training program, in recent years, this means following a physically demanding powerlifting cycle. Primary goal is to recapture health and mobility (and give my body a break from heavy weights), secure a healthy body weight (if need be), improve conditioning/endurance, and still build general strength. My other primary goal is having a life outside the gym. When I am powerlifting, sometimes I have multi hour training days. I really hate this! I want to minimize my time in the gym. Secondary goal is powerlifting.
Typically on Saturday or Sunday I practice my sport, powerlifting. I’ll write that program below in case you care about it. But this is optional. Other activities could be added. Or even using this time to practice new exercises. The beauty of powerlifting is that you can still gain progress doing an American cycle, 1 day per week. I like to immediately do a ETK+ Grind day, the following day, to help combat/prevent DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) from the barbell lifts.
In recent years, Pavel and Strongfirst have put out a lot of articles on Lactic vs Alactic endurance training. In fact, I believe Pavel’s new book Q&D will likely touch on this topic (I am looking forward to reading it). I have adapted ETK+, for myself, to follow this training methodology. Therefore, I have thrown out the clock. I no longer worry about time. I roll the dice for how heavy a bell I will be using, and I roll the dice to determine my volume for the workout. Because of this, I now favor heavier weights than I would have lifted in my first example above. CAUTION: I find that I will unconsciously choose lighter kettlebells if I know my volume first. So I recommend rolling the dice, and let’s pretend you roll a 6, which is supposed to be HEAVY RPE. Choose your kettlebell(s) before rolling the dice for your volume (otherwise you may be tempted to choose a lighter bell if your volume is high). NOTE: For single arm lifts, if the volume is 30 lifts, I mean for this to be 30 lifts per arm, not 30 lifts total.
A note on exercise variability. Originally, this variability is what attracted to me to this program. However, in recent years I have been minimizing the number of exercises to improve and I like this better. In fact, the last time I ran this program, I did not vary the exercises at all! I like this best! You don’t have to choose these exercises, but I find these to be the best. For Grind Day, I do Single Arm C&P in parallel with Tactical Pullups (just like the Right of Passage), alternating between each exercise. Then I do Double Kettlebell Front Squats, followed by Double Kbell Military Press. If it isn’t obvious, the difference between C&P and military press is that the former has a clean in between each press.
6 / 9
In terms of the weight, I no longer set a weight for each roll of the die, as in my example, above. This is too cumbersome and difficult to document. Instead I use RPE (rate of perceived exertion). If I roll a 1 or 2, it is Light. A 3 or 4 is Medium. A 5 or 6 is Heavy. So this is very dependent upon you, how strong you are, and how you are feeling that particular day. If I was doing a single arm press, Light would be 24 or 28 kg, Medium would be 28 or 32 kg, and Heavy would be 36 or 40 kg. I don’t own a 44 kg. On a rare occasion If I rolled a 5 or 6 I may use the 48 kg (but likely not, this is supposed to be Park Bench for me). I hope this example makes sense.
My current modified ETK+ inspired program:
  • · Warmup (for each of these Grind and Ballistic days)
    • o A few goblet squats
    • o Halo’s
    • o A couple light TGU’s
    • o Some light 2 arm swings
  • · Grind Day
    • o Press #1
      • § Double Military Press
        • · 1 à RPE Light
        • · 2 à RPE Light
        • · 3 à RPE Medium
        • · 4 à RPE Medium
        • · 5 à RPE Heavy
        • · 6 à RPE Heavy
      • § Volume (Ladders 1,2,3,4,5, for Heavy weights I may stop at 3 on the ladders)
        • · 1 à 15 reps
        • · 2 à 15 reps
        • · 3 à 30 reps
        • · 4 à 30 reps
        • · 5 à 45 reps
        • · 6 à 45 reps
    • o Squat
      • § Double Front Squats
        • · 1 à RPE Light
        • · 2 à RPE Light
        • · 3 à RPE Medium
        • · 4 à RPE Medium
        • · 5 à RPE Heavy
        • · 6 à RPE Heavy
      • § Volume (Ladders 1,2,3,4,5)
7 / 9
      • · 1 à 15 reps
      • · 2 à 15 reps
      • · 3 à 30 reps
      • · 4 à 30 reps
      • · 5 à 45 reps
      • · 6 à 45 reps
    • o Press #2
      • § Single Arm C&P
        • · 1 à RPE Light
        • · 2 à RPE Light
        • · 3 à RPE Medium
        • · 4 à RPE Medium
        • · 5 à RPE Heavy
        • · 6 à RPE Heavy
      • § Volume (Ladders 1,2,3,4,5, for Heavy weights I may stop at 3 on the ladders)
        • · 1 à 15 reps
        • · 2 à 15 reps
        • · 3 à 30 reps
        • · 4 à 30 reps
        • · 5 à 45 reps
        • · 6 à 45 reps
    • o Pullup
      • § Tactical pullups
        • · 1 à RPE Light
        • · 2 à RPE Light
        • · 3 à RPE Medium
        • · 4 à RPE Medium
        • · 5 à RPE Heavy
        • · 6 à RPE Heavy
        • · 1 à 15 reps
        • · 2 à 15 reps
        • · 3 à 30 reps
        • · 4 à 30 reps
        • · 5 à 45 reps
        • · 6 à 45 reps
  • · Ballistic
    • o Pull
      • § Heavy Single Arm Snatches (I favor heavier weights and lower reps)
        • · 1 à RPE Light
        • · 2 à RPE Light
        • · 3 à RPE Medium
        • · 4 à RPE Medium
8 / 9
      • · 5 à RPE Heavy
      • · 6 à RPE Heavy
    • § Volume (Ladders 5,10 for Heavy weights I only do 5 reps rungs
      • · 1 à 15 reps
      • · 2 à 15 reps
      • · 3 à 30 reps
      • · 4 à 30 reps
      • · 5 à 45 reps
      • · 6 à 45 reps
  • o Push Press / Jerk
    • § 5 à Double Clean & Jerk
      • · 1 à RPE Light
      • · 2 à RPE Light
      • · 3 à RPE Medium
      • · 4 à RPE Medium
      • · 5 à RPE Heavy
      • · 6 à RPE Heavy
    • § Volume (Ladders 2,4,6,8,10 for Heavy weights I may stop at 6 and sometimes even 4 on the ladders [sometimes I like to go really heavy on these])
      • · 1 à 20 reps
      • · 2 à 20 reps
      • · 3 à 40 reps
      • · 4 à 40 reps
      • · 5 à 60 reps
      • · 6 à 60 reps

9 / 9
1 day per week Powerlifting Program (inspired by Brian Carroll’s 10/20/Life Program, “Jumbo Day” & “Combo Day”). Keep in mind this is meant to be as minimalistic as possible, but still build strength.
  • · Week 1
    • o Squat 5sx5r (1 top set of 60% of max)
    • o Bench 5sx5r (1 top set of 60% of max)
    • o Deadlift 5sx1r (5 singles at 50% of max)
  • · Week 2
    • o Squat 5sx1r (5 singles at 50% of max)
    • o Bench 4sx4r (1 top set of 65% of max)
    • o Deadlift 5sx5r (1 top set of 60% of max)
  • · Week 3
    • o Bench 5sx1r (5 singles at 50% of max)
  • · Week 4
    • o Squat 3sx3r (1 top set of 70% of max)
    • o Bench 3sx3r (1 top set of 70% of max)
  • · Week 5
    • o Bench 3sx3r (1 top set of 72.5% of max)
    • o Deadlift 3sx3r (1 top set of 70% of max)
  • · Week 6
  • · Week 7
    • o Squat 3sx3r (1 top set of 72.5% of max)
    • o Bench 3sx3r (1 top set of 75% of max)
  • · Week 8
    • o Bench 3sx3r (1 top set of 77.5% of max)
    • o Deadlift 3sx3r (1 top set of 72.5% of max)
  • · Week 9
  • · Week 10
    • o Squat work up to 1 rep at 90% of max (should be capable of 2 reps but only do 1)
    • o Bench work up to 1 rep at 90% of max (should be capable of 2 reps but only do 1)
    • o Deadlift work up to 1 rep at 90% of max (should be capable of 2 reps but only do 1)

@Bauer

Here is something I wrote for somebody on ETK+. It is long sorry, you may be interested. Regards,

Eric

5 / 9
Documented below are some details on how the ETK+ program has evolved for me (below is the final evolution, to date). I recognize that I am changing the program quite a bit and some people would have issue with this, technically it is no longer ETK+. I am OK with this. I must do what works for me. Biologically, we are all practically the same, so if it works for me there is a good chance it will work for you, right? Disclaimer: One final comment. I am not a qualified coach or trainer. I am not in the fitness business. I am really not qualified to give any advice, so be careful when reading this. I am a 40 year old who has been training, somewhat seriously, since age 18. Also, I have spent a significantly more time and energy educating myself on Strength and Conditioning training vs the general population.
GOALS: I typically do this after a Bus Bench training program, in recent years, this means following a physically demanding powerlifting cycle. Primary goal is to recapture health and mobility (and give my body a break from heavy weights), secure a healthy body weight (if need be), improve conditioning/endurance, and still build general strength. My other primary goal is having a life outside the gym. When I am powerlifting, sometimes I have multi hour training days. I really hate this! I want to minimize my time in the gym. Secondary goal is powerlifting.
Typically on Saturday or Sunday I practice my sport, powerlifting. I’ll write that program below in case you care about it. But this is optional. Other activities could be added. Or even using this time to practice new exercises. The beauty of powerlifting is that you can still gain progress doing an American cycle, 1 day per week. I like to immediately do a ETK+ Grind day, the following day, to help combat/prevent DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) from the barbell lifts.
In recent years, Pavel and Strongfirst have put out a lot of articles on Lactic vs Alactic endurance training. In fact, I believe Pavel’s new book Q&D will likely touch on this topic (I am looking forward to reading it). I have adapted ETK+, for myself, to follow this training methodology. Therefore, I have thrown out the clock. I no longer worry about time. I roll the dice for how heavy a bell I will be using, and I roll the dice to determine my volume for the workout. Because of this, I now favor heavier weights than I would have lifted in my first example above. CAUTION: I find that I will unconsciously choose lighter kettlebells if I know my volume first. So I recommend rolling the dice, and let’s pretend you roll a 6, which is supposed to be HEAVY RPE. Choose your kettlebell(s) before rolling the dice for your volume (otherwise you may be tempted to choose a lighter bell if your volume is high). NOTE: For single arm lifts, if the volume is 30 lifts, I mean for this to be 30 lifts per arm, not 30 lifts total.
A note on exercise variability. Originally, this variability is what attracted to me to this program. However, in recent years I have been minimizing the number of exercises to improve and I like this better. In fact, the last time I ran this program, I did not vary the exercises at all! I like this best! You don’t have to choose these exercises, but I find these to be the best. For Grind Day, I do Single Arm C&P in parallel with Tactical Pullups (just like the Right of Passage), alternating between each exercise. Then I do Double Kettlebell Front Squats, followed by Double Kbell Military Press. If it isn’t obvious, the difference between C&P and military press is that the former has a clean in between each press.
6 / 9
In terms of the weight, I no longer set a weight for each roll of the die, as in my example, above. This is too cumbersome and difficult to document. Instead I use RPE (rate of perceived exertion). If I roll a 1 or 2, it is Light. A 3 or 4 is Medium. A 5 or 6 is Heavy. So this is very dependent upon you, how strong you are, and how you are feeling that particular day. If I was doing a single arm press, Light would be 24 or 28 kg, Medium would be 28 or 32 kg, and Heavy would be 36 or 40 kg. I don’t own a 44 kg. On a rare occasion If I rolled a 5 or 6 I may use the 48 kg (but likely not, this is supposed to be Park Bench for me). I hope this example makes sense.
My current modified ETK+ inspired program:
  • · Warmup (for each of these Grind and Ballistic days)
    • o A few goblet squats
    • o Halo’s
    • o A couple light TGU’s
    • o Some light 2 arm swings
  • · Grind Day
    • o Press #1
      • § Double Military Press
        • · 1 à RPE Light
        • · 2 à RPE Light
        • · 3 à RPE Medium
        • · 4 à RPE Medium
        • · 5 à RPE Heavy
        • · 6 à RPE Heavy
        • · 1 à 15 reps
        • · 2 à 15 reps
        • · 3 à 30 reps
        • · 4 à 30 reps
        • · 5 à 45 reps
        • · 6 à 45 reps
    • o Squat
      • § Double Front Squats
        • · 1 à RPE Light
        • · 2 à RPE Light
        • · 3 à RPE Medium
        • · 4 à RPE Medium
        • · 5 à RPE Heavy
        • · 6 à RPE Heavy
      • § Volume (Ladders 1,2,3,4,5)
7 / 9
      • · 1 à 15 reps
      • · 2 à 15 reps
      • · 3 à 30 reps
      • · 4 à 30 reps
      • · 5 à 45 reps
      • · 6 à 45 reps
    • o Press #2
      • § Single Arm C&P
        • · 1 à RPE Light
        • · 2 à RPE Light
        • · 3 à RPE Medium
        • · 4 à RPE Medium
        • · 5 à RPE Heavy
        • · 6 à RPE Heavy
        • · 1 à 15 reps
        • · 2 à 15 reps
        • · 3 à 30 reps
        • · 4 à 30 reps
        • · 5 à 45 reps
        • · 6 à 45 reps
    • o Pullup
      • § Tactical pullups
        • · 1 à RPE Light
        • · 2 à RPE Light
        • · 3 à RPE Medium
        • · 4 à RPE Medium
        • · 5 à RPE Heavy
        • · 6 à RPE Heavy
        • · 1 à 15 reps
        • · 2 à 15 reps
        • · 3 à 30 reps
        • · 4 à 30 reps
        • · 5 à 45 reps
        • · 6 à 45 reps
  • · Ballistic
    • o Pull
      • § Heavy Single Arm Snatches (I favor heavier weights and lower reps)
        • · 1 à RPE Light
        • · 2 à RPE Light
        • · 3 à RPE Medium
        • · 4 à RPE Medium
8 / 9
      • · 5 à RPE Heavy
      • · 6 à RPE Heavy
    • § Volume (Ladders 5,10 for Heavy weights I only do 5 reps rungs
      • · 1 à 15 reps
      • · 2 à 15 reps
      • · 3 à 30 reps
      • · 4 à 30 reps
      • · 5 à 45 reps
      • · 6 à 45 reps
  • o Push Press / Jerk
    • § 5 à Double Clean & Jerk
      • · 1 à RPE Light
      • · 2 à RPE Light
      • · 3 à RPE Medium
      • · 4 à RPE Medium
      • · 5 à RPE Heavy
      • · 6 à RPE Heavy
    • § Volume (Ladders 2,4,6,8,10 for Heavy weights I may stop at 6 and sometimes even 4 on the ladders [sometimes I like to go really heavy on these])
      • · 1 à 20 reps
      • · 2 à 20 reps
      • · 3 à 40 reps
      • · 4 à 40 reps
      • · 5 à 60 reps
      • · 6 à 60 reps

9 / 9
1 day per week Powerlifting Program (inspired by Brian Carroll’s 10/20/Life Program, “Jumbo Day” & “Combo Day”). Keep in mind this is meant to be as minimalistic as possible, but still build strength.
  • · Week 1
    • o Squat 5sx5r (1 top set of 60% of max)
    • o Bench 5sx5r (1 top set of 60% of max)
  • · Week 2
    • o Bench 4sx4r (1 top set of 65% of max)
    • o Deadlift 5sx5r (1 top set of 60% of max)
  • · Week 3
  • · Week 4
    • o Squat 3sx3r (1 top set of 70% of max)
    • o Bench 3sx3r (1 top set of 70% of max)
  • · Week 5
    • o Bench 3sx3r (1 top set of 72.5% of max)
    • o Deadlift 3sx3r (1 top set of 70% of max)
  • · Week 6
  • · Week 7
    • o Squat 3sx3r (1 top set of 72.5% of max)
    • o Bench 3sx3r (1 top set of 75% of max)
  • · Week 8
    • o Bench 3sx3r (1 top set of 77.5% of max)
    • o Deadlift 3sx3r (1 top set of 72.5% of max)
  • · Week 9
  • · Week 10
    • o Squat work up to 1 rep at 90% of max (should be capable of 2 reps but only do 1)
    • o Bench work up to 1 rep at 90% of max (should be capable of 2 reps but only do 1)
    • o Deadlift work up to 1 rep at 90% of max (should be capable of 2 reps but only do 1)

Thank you so much! This is really cool. I also thought about assigning the load to relative effort for any given day. Seems a bit low volume conditioning wise, but you seem to prefer heavier weights.

One variation could be to toss a coin such as in the Heads & Tails Pushup Plan (Heads = higher option, Tails = lower option; never repeat an option the next workout) to force more variability from day to day.

Thank you so much! This is really cool. I also thought about assigning the load to relative effort for any given day. Seems a bit low volume conditioning wise, but you seem to prefer heavier weights.

One variation could be to toss a coin such as in the Heads & Tails Pushup Plan (Heads = higher option, Tails = lower option; never repeat an option the next workout) to force more variability from day to day.

I like your idea. Keep in mind I follow this program after an extremely "bus bench" program. So I am kind of stressed and burned out. I am looking for "park bench" and minimalism.

Regards,

Eric

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom