all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Enter the Kettlebell" Questions

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Kozushi, please see an SFG in person, or via Skype or similar, or post a video of your swings here.

-S-
What's the protocol in contacting an SFG and what do they charge and how long and all that? I've seen the list, but I wouldn't know who to contact and whether I could justify the expense to my wife etc... I'm a bit less tech savvy than it may appear, but I could probably finagle a video somehow or other with some borrowed equipment, although meeting an expert in person would be a big boost to my ketlebell career I think.

Does Pavel not cover the difference between one and two handed swings in S&S? I'm sure he does... And I'm sure to progress in S&S properly it calls for one handed swings...
I'll just echo Steve Friedes, get them looked at by someone who knows how to dissect then and find your problems. Not me though! I'm no coach or instructor!
It all reminds me of learning Karate katas from the old Shotokan book. I "learned" them but not really.

You should find a list of local SFG's on the side of your screen if you visit the main web site - click on Home above, then read a blog entry or similar. Alternately, you may click on Instructors and use the Search.

Rates are set individually; StrongFirst does not set them nor track them.

As to justifying the expense to your wife, well, . . .

-S-

It's not like jelly donuts are good but not all good things are jelly donuts. In this case: ROP helps S&S and S&S helps ROP. Only real reason I use two-hand swings is to increase the volume with my one-arm swing weight. If one-hand swings are still difficult, don't feel ashamed to drop back to the 24kg and build your volume higher first. In my opinion, jumping up a weight should feel kind of easy.

It's not like jelly donuts are good but not all good things are jelly donuts. In this case: ROP helps S&S and S&S helps ROP. Only real reason I use two-hand swings is to increase the volume with my one-arm swing weight. If one-hand swings are still difficult, don't feel ashamed to drop back to the 24kg and build your volume higher first. In my opinion, jumping up a weight should feel kind of easy.
Thank you for the wisdom. I gave the single handed swings with the 32kg a try today because of your post and it wasn't a problem at all. My back felt fine and it didn't take very long to finish the 10X10. A lot of guys talk about truly "owning" the S&S with the 32kg before getting into ROP, but in the Enter the Kettlebell book, I think I'm right in figuring that proficiency with the 24kg is all that's required for the swing and getup before progressing to ROP. Either way, I'm eager to get into the ROP. The moves are very interesting and have some kind of aesthetic appeal that I can't quite explain - they feel and look very good, hahaha. Evidently on the ROP schedule I'd be continuing with my one handed swings with the 32kg anyhow for two of the three swinging days, the C&P I'll need to do with the 24kg at first though.

Gosh this stuff is interesting!

It's amazing stuff because I can do it all alone with very little space around me, with one simple little thing (the kettlebell) and get terrifically strong, good looking, healthy, and almost guarantee myself a very long life. The most efficient path to all these things. I suspect it develops our intelligence too, since we have to deal with complicated movements and balance.

@Kozushi A suggestion, once your back feels up to it, consider "waving the load" into your programming for 1 handed swings. Even if you are brutally strong, waving the load is a good protocol to follow as it reduces the amount of cumulative stress on the body that comes with high volume training. This is a smart long term approach to avoid injury as well.

You would need access to 3 different size bells (i.e. 18kg, 24kg, 32kg). As @Steve Freides suggested, working with an SFG would expose you to these types of training protocols and be able to give you more in depth training than what you would receive here in the forum.

I don't remember reading the term "waving the load" from the books. It sounds like you use one size bell then the next, then the next, then going back to the light one again while doing your sets of ten. I have two 16s, and one of each of the 24, 32, 40 kg kettlebells.

I'd like to get brutally strong, but if my one rep maximum for pressing a kettlebell is only 32kg, then I am still a weakling.

What's the protocol in contacting an SFG and what do they charge and how long and all that? I've seen the list, but I wouldn't know who to contact and whether I could justify the expense to my wife etc... I'm a bit less tech savvy than it may appear, but I could probably finagle a video somehow or other with some borrowed equipment, although meeting an expert in person would be a big boost to my ketlebell career I think.

Tell the wife that seeing an SFG will make you stronger, leaner, give you more stamina, help you be injury free, and make you better in EVERY way...

All for the low cost of...

Tell her you're doing it for HER.

Good luck with that.

I don't remember reading the term "waving the load" from the books. It sounds like you use one size bell then the next, then the next, then going back to the light one again while doing your sets of ten. I have two 16s, and one of each of the 24, 32, 40 kg kettlebells.

I'd like to get brutally strong, but if my one rep maximum for pressing a kettlebell is only 32kg, then I am still a weakling.

@Kozushi Waving the load is discussed in "Enter the Kettlebell" when programming your lifts for the "Rite of Passage" as light/medium/heavy days.

@Kozushi I don't know all the details of your finances, marital relationship and religious affiliations, but the end of year/solstice/Christmas, etc period if coming up soon. A few sessions with a local SFG could be your gift, either from your wife to you, or from you to you ;) Birthdays can be good too. I gave myself a session with a local SFG a year ago as a birthday gift and was very impressed. Not only did he fix my swing and getup, as I was doing S+S, but he also added 4 inches of depth to my goblet squat in 10 minutes. Highly recommended.

@Kozushi I don't know all the details of your finances, marital relationship and religious affiliations, but the end of year/solstice/Christmas, etc period if coming up soon. A few sessions with a local SFG could be your gift, either from your wife to you, or from you to you ;) Birthdays can be good too. I gave myself a session with a local SFG a year ago as a birthday gift and was very impressed. Not only did he fix my swing and getup, as I was doing S+S, but he also added 4 inches of depth to my goblet squat in 10 minutes. Highly recommended.
My religious affiliations: Girevik.

@Kozushi A few sessions with a local SFG could be your gift... from your wife to you ;) ...I gave myself a session with a local SFG a year ago... he ... added 4 inches... in 10 minutes. Highly recommended.

Editing it this way might help make it more likely I'll be allowed to do it.

Sorry, another question:

What's a better exercise - the snatch with the 24kg bell or the swing with the 32kg bell?

I never had any doubt that with the same weight bell doing the snatch is better than the swing, but since the swing can be (safely) done with a heavier weight than the snatch can, I'd wonder if it is a better exercise for this reason.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom