all posts post new thread

TSC ES Pullups as a Warm up?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

amdemarais

Level 5 Valued Member
While training for the TSC, I can't help but think of how great an approach this is: http://www.strongfirst.com/how-we-train-for-the-tsc-at-tnt/. In the article, Derek mentions ignoring pullups and really focusing on snatches (along with a few bent presses).

My dilemma is that my pullups hold me back and I don't want to avoid them all together. Has anyone tried working on a weakness using an Easy Strength approach for their warm up? In my case, doing pullups 5 days a week at a low volume (2x5, 3x3, 5x2, etc.) at the beginning of each session. I'm curious to know if anyone has tried this approach: working one or two movements every day in an Easy Strength approach as a part of your warm up as a way to address a weakness.

Here is something to ponder... I recently followed a SF protocol focusing on swings/snatches. My BW was 218 and pull up est RM was 10-12. After the 6 week program, my BW was 228 and I hit 2 sets of 10 BW pull ups as part of a demo for a client. This felt like a 75% effort. I practiced no pull ups, added 10lbs of lean mass and my pull ups became stronger. Moral is HS swings and snatches work!

Very interesting, Shawn and great results. Looks like another example of focusing on snatches and let pull-ups take care of themselves. Thanks for the reply.

Yes, another example. Look at the TNT teams results from past TSC events and read the article written by Derek Toshner detailing their training programs... Proof is in the results. Best of luck to you.

I like to do Pullups. I am not great at them, but I do them 2 times per week. Tim Almond of Box 33 Dedicates two whole training days to Pull-ups. That is all he does on those days. He does volume and then some more Volume. Some days 200-300 strict Pull-ups. You will have to contact him for more details.

He is a big guy, like myself, so I thought I would try his method with Derek's volume of Snatches. All I can say is 2 days of Pull-ups, 2 days of Snatches, 1 day of swings, and following a deadlift program out of SFL seems to be working. (for my 20 students as well)

Best,
James

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom