all posts post new thread

Nutrition Estrogen Dominance?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I don't eat grains, potatoes, or corn at all. I actually don't like corn or potatoes. As far as the fruit goes, I always thought the no fruit thing was a fad or something but I'm going to cut the fruit down to a couple servings a week and see what happens. Right now I'm open to experimenting.

@CharlieJay, fruit in moderation should be OK, but vegetables are better. Fruit _juice_ is something to stay away from - loaded with calories and not nearly as much nutritional benefit as whole fruit from what I've been told.

-S-

I haven't had fruit juice in years. I don't really like it. I used to drink protein smoothies with a serving of fruit but I decided to cut that out and just eat the fruit whole. I'm feeling pretty good about my current diet. As long as I can have a black pour over coffee everyday, I ain't complaining.

When I was a teenager, I used to drink lots of conventional milk. I had TERRIBLE acne. When I stopped drinking it, it went away. Speaking of skin problems.

Foliculitis on the back of my head and bad eczema on my fingers. Both cycle on and off and are almost gone right now. If they don't come back it was the 10,000 cups of oats I've eaten the past decade!
Appears to have worked. Neither have returned!

Estrogen dominance somehow went to a paleo theme on this thread if you ask me. Nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't answer the thread's question.

My understanding of estrogen dominance comes from a slightly different perspective, which the paleo/no dairy/clean carbs theme does address. The simple way to think about it comes down to asking what these things (modern dairy, bad carbs, etc) tend to do to the body, and in short, it adds on body fat. While we need a level of body fat in general (the brain runs mostly on carbs (ketones as well), but the heart runs on fats), we can all agree that excess fat is a problem.

The question is "why is excess fat a problem?" The answer: it's an endocrine organ!! And as such, it creates hormones!! Think about thin females who go thru menopause: what changes in their body shape shortly afterwards? They get a slight 'pooch' over their abdominal area. Their ovaries have shut down, but they still need a level of estrogen, which is supplanted by this deposit of fat, which continues to provide them with a level of estrogen.

The problem is men don't need that much estrogen, and invariably we see men with an excess of belly fat!! Men need testosterone to be healthy (Mike Mahler recently had an interesting podcast on this subject...if you can get past the childish joking around in the first 15 minutes, it's worth the listen). So the key comes down to balancing your hormones and getting those checked out thoroughly. Aside from Mahler, I haven't come across a lot of people talking about testosterone/male hormones in a meaningful way. But I think there's more going on with being a healthy male, and it largely involves getting hormones balanced out.

Piggy-back on Doc (with whom I agree)... without mention of gut biota, this discussion is far from complete.

I listen to Mahler's podcast pretty regularly and I really enjoy it. I usually question everything I hear when it comes to nutrition and exercise though.

The problem is men don't need that much estrogen, and invariably we see men with an excess of belly fat!! Men need testosterone to be healthy (Mike Mahler recently had an interesting podcast on this subject...if you can get past the childish joking around in the first 15 minutes, it's worth the listen). So the key comes down to balancing your hormones and getting those checked out thoroughly. Aside from Mahler, I haven't come across a lot of people talking about testosterone/male hormones in a meaningful way. But I think there's more going on with being a healthy male, and it largely involves getting hormones balanced out.

Same reason I eat foods with lots of cholesterol.

Right now I'm experimenting with intermittent fasting and surprisingly I've lost 3kgs in 3 weeks. Suprising because I haven't really been eating clean or paleo in the last 3 weeks, you just eat all the foods you can in the 8 hour window.

I agree, "IF" has some huge benefits, which is why I find butter and/or coconut oil blended in coffee helps to keep that window open longer before your eating time. 1kg/2lbs per week of weight loss is considered a good range in general. Increase your greens intake and see that rise even more.

Oh, and lest we forget, the latest research from large cohort studies like Framingham say that cholesterol is out the door completely for heart risk. Not a viable factor for predicting heart trouble unless you have a pre-existing heart attack, and even then. Cholesterol is a building block for ALL hormones...which is why I'm about to eat 4 eggs for lunch right now!

Keep in mind the Framingham study is likely misleading on this topic. It is important to consider the population studied. Considering it is studying a Western population that consumes a Western population's diet, the studied cohort is by definition "high-risk" (compare it to non-Western diets where the risk of heart disease is significantly lower - think Okinawa, Loma Linda, some of the Mediterranean locals). If low risk is defined by these societies, then we see that studying the group in Framingham is really differentiating between degrees of high risk.

It would be like studying a group of smokers, and then separating them into the ones who had lung cancer and the ones who didn't. It would be clear in this study that the amount smoked didn't differ much between the two groups, so it would be hard to recommend to anyone not to smoke based on such a study. Studying nonsmokers, on the other hand, would likely change the picture a bit.

I like the way I feel on IF but haven't had the profound weight loss effects that most people have. It usually takes a few months for the scale to budge at all. Like, it's delayed or something. I take SSRIs so that might have something to do with it. Who knows.

I like the way I feel on IF but haven't had the profound weight loss effects that most people have. It usually takes a few months for the scale to budge at all. Like, it's delayed or something. I take SSRIs so that might have something to do with it. Who knows.

I also like IF because i can go binge eating after practicing strength :)

Haha, That's true, Inuk. I guess it's nice to be able to eat a lot at once but I'm not crazy about feeling bloated- even on healthy food.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom