all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ETK and beginning with a 24k

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
You don't have to plan out the entire week - but you can just make a pile of stuff on Sunday and eat it until it's gone during the week, e.g., we never make less than several pounds of burgers or ground beef at a time, ditto fish. Planning a little doesn't have to mean OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder).

One of the oddest things to me is the current worry about salt. We eat what we cook from scratch most of the time here, and we are liberal with salt (sea salt) because it makes things taste better. There is _so_ much salt in processed food that won't be in what you make yourself. Buy the best raw ingredients you can afford: grass-fed beef, cheese and butter from grass-fed cows, whole grain breads baked locally, organic veggies, and cook them all so that they taste d@#$ good! And eat to your heart's content.

-S-

To get more in depth on the food issue...here's how it goes... I work Monday -Thursday.I leave around 6Am and get home around 6 PM (it can be later). If I eat breakfast, it's eggs, otherwise it's a sausage egg and cheese biscuit from Maverick or nothing. I might eat what I brought for lunch if I made enough and I'm hungry enough (around 8-10 am)

Lunch (at work) is left overs from dinner or a whole wheat sandwich with cheese, mayo, mustard, and turkey. Sometimes it's two sandwiches, but it takes all day to eat them because I hate to eat when I'm trying to work (unless hunger overwhelms me). Sometimes, if i get hungry, ill eat seeds or nuts.

When I get home: If Ronda was home, it's whatever she came up with. If she's not home its the simplest thing possible consisting mostly of meat and grain products. After dinner (no matter who cooks) it's sugar time. If it's sweet and awesome, I
l eat it. Otherwise I like tortilla chips or popcorn made with yeast flakes. If neither of those are available I'll eat seconds of dinner, if I can...or nothing. I also like PB&J when I can get them.

My "simple" dinners often consist of Pizza or burgers from a local place.

Today,for example, Ronda is at work and Im off. Here's how it went:

Breakfast: no breakfast. I drank some crystal light with caffiene.

Around 11-1, got hungry enough to eat. Ordered a burger from the local place...ate it.

I went to the store and bought some pork chops and rice. I've put the pork chops in a crock pot with BBQ sauce. I'm hungry,but my food isn't done, so I grabbed a handful of doritos. I'm still waiting on the meat to get done. BTW- I'm real hungry.

Ohh... I did have some whole wheat bread with peanut butter today. As a matter of fact I'm going to go eat another one while I wait for my meat...and that's how it goes.

P.S I also ate some pumpkin spice almonds...not as good as I hoped

Last edited:
Matt,

MyNetDiary.
Food App

Your last post is a living example of "failing to plan is planning to fail"

From your tone it sounds like you know what to do.

From your food choices when you make choices, you know what to do.

You know the rhythm of your job.
You know the rhythm of your hunger.
You know your triggers, cravings, and food impatience.

Take charge of your food intake.
Exercise control of your food intake.
Plan what you'll eat, when you'll eat it, and when it will be available.

Getting hungry every day and eating every day is not an accident.

What you eat and when you eat it shouldn't be an accident, either.

I've struggled the exact same way, same timeframes, and I know exactly how this happens.

So all that's left is the cliche...

Just DO IT...

And you will, when success becomes more important than the excuses for failure.

Thanks Lew, your exactly right. I'm all over the map. Grocery shopping is this weekend. I'm going to set out a plan and go for it

Reactions: Lew
Lew, I wasn't doing that hot. I'm on my second day of the warrior diet. By that I mean I've started eating in that window. I'm going to go progressively with it. I do have a plan now though

Reactions: Lew
Matt, as far as using the 16kg or the 24, you can use both. Use the 16 and add in a set with the 24 adding additional sets with the 24as you progress. Pretty soon you'll be just using the 24.

Lew, I wasn't doing that hot. I'm on my second day of the warrior diet. By that I mean I've started eating in that window. I'm going to go progressively with it. I do have a plan now though

Matt, I completely understand and appreciate your candor.

I've had a food addiction/issue the majority of 5 decades.

That's hard for someone to understand who has never experienced it.

But then, I have no empathy/understanding for those with alcohol/drug issues.

It's all a matter of perspective born of our frame of reference created from our personal experience.

In the meantime, don't quit. Keep going. Find YOUR answer.

Life success=getting up one more time than you've been knocked down.

How are you doing with the transition to the 24kg?

I offer this in support..

Simple & Sinister: Getting from Two- to One-Hand Swings - StrongFirst

I'm focusing on swings and getups. Right now I'm doing several getups on each side and a hundred 1H swings. Currently I need 3 breaks before I hit 100. Its been taking a little less than 5 min to reach 100. I've decided to do them 3x a week and try to add 20 each week. I'm still practicing cleans and snatches. I can't seem to manage my snatches with the 24k so I'm dropping down to 35lb. I also have an absolute strength day where I press and pull for strength with a barbell.

Also, still going strong with the nutrition plan

The wildest thing I learned in my weight loss (down to 280 from 335) was that alot of times what I thought was hungr was actually thurst. I drank alot of soft drinks, but now I drink a good bit of water. Most of the hunger pains went away that made me want to snack.

Matt,

Have a read of 'Fat Loss Happens on Mondays'. Great book and really interesting approach to planning meals. Essentially make food prep yourfirst work-out of the week. You wouldn't skip a work-out so dont skip your food prep.

It's not easy, I spend my life battling poor food choices - it's like I have a demon in my head. But not planning ahead just makes your challenge harder.

I actually drink alot of water. Energy drinks are a problem though. I drink the sugar free kind, but still I know they are terrible. I don't drink them as often as I used to, but I need to nix them entirely. I'm aware of Dan Johns book, but I haven't read it. I want to stick to this intermittent fasting for a bit. It's only been a short time, but I'm already becoming more aware of what I eat because I need to get more bang for my buck. Poor quality food doesn't give me what I need to get through the 16 hours of fasting. I am having some lethargy, but I understand this is to be expected in the beginning. I'm not strictly counting my calories, but I'm falling around 2k a day. That's where I want to be.

I don't know if I'd call them forced. I'm pretty happy to take them :) but yeah. I do 30, breather, 20, breather, 30, breather, 20 done. But I want to keep upping the reps between breaks and take less breaks until I can do 100 non stop

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom