all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ETK

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kravkrismaga

Level 4 Valued Member
On his book ETK pavel talks about ladders starting at 1,2,3 reps the first week which totals at 18 reps of presses in a practice
And he also talks about heavy, moderate and light days
Does that mean that if i do 3x1,2,3 on heavy days the light day is 1x1,2,3 total of nine reps?
And on modetate day 2x1,2,3?

Welcome! I'm in my second cycle of Rite of Passage, so I believe I can help.

The first Heavy day is 3 ladders of 1,2,3 (18 reps) as you mention. Say you start your week Heavy, then go down from there (this is what I do):
  • Wednesday (Medium): 3 ladders of 1,2 (stopping 1-rung short of Heavy day)
  • Friday (Light): 3 single reps (2 rungs lower than Heavy)
When you are farther along it will look like:
  • Monday (Heavy): 1 ladder of 1,2,3,4; 4 ladders to 1,2,3
  • Wednesday (Medium): 5 ladders to 1,2,3 (because we got up to a 4th rung Monday, we stop at the third rung here)
  • Friday (Light): 5 ladders to 1,2 (stopping 2 rungs below Monday's highest ladder)
So you keep the number of ladders the same while varying the number of rungs in each ladder.

Hope that helps!

On his book ETK pavel talks about ladders starting at 1,2,3 reps the first week which totals at 18 reps of presses in a practice
And he also talks about heavy, moderate and light days
Does that mean that if i do 3x1,2,3 on heavy days the light day is 1x1,2,3 total of nine reps?
And on modetate day 2x1,2,3?

Heavy day,
1 c&p left, swing switch, 1 c&p right, rest
2 c&p left, swing switch, 2 c&p right, rest
3 c&p left, swing switch, 3 c&p right, rest
Repeat 3 times

Medium day,
2 c&p left, swing switch, 2 c&p right, rest
Repeat 3 times

Light day,
Repeat 3 times

Add rungs and ladders from here. This is how I did it and had great results, I also added pull-ups matching the rungs and ladders.

8-jpg.2385

Many people seem to miss this paragraph in the book: "If you are climbing (1,2,3) ladders on the heavy day, do 5 singles on the light day and 5 x (1,2) on the medium day." (page 136)

So, regardless of how many ladders you are doing on the heavy day, you should be doing 5 ladders on light and medium always.

Many people seem to miss this paragraph in the book: "If you are climbing (1,2,3) ladders on the heavy day, do 5 singles on the light day and 5 x (1,2) on the medium day." (page 136)

So, regardless of how many ladders you are doing on the heavy day, you should be doing 5 ladders on light and medium always.
I don't think that's correct. Pavel was using five ladders as his example template. If you're doing 3(1,2,3) on a heavy day. Light day should be 3(1) and Medium day should be 3(1,2). If I'm wrong, I apologize.

Your first couple of heavy days will be less than ladders, but after that, it's 5 ladders for the rest of the program.

-S-

@Adam R Mundorf , I think there are couple indications in the book that you should do 5 ladders on easy and moderate days always. First one is the one I quoted above. Second one is where Pavel breaks down each day specifically (page 137 in my edition). He writes out every variation step for the heavy day, and on light day he simply instructs: "Do 5 ladders 2 rungs shorter than on Saturdaay". Otherwise he would probably write "Do same number of ladders as on heavy day 2 rungs shorter".

Maybe it is not that critical considering this only impacts the first 2 weeks of the program and doesn't dramatically change the total number of reps, but at the very least as I remember the book does not say anywhere you should match the number of ladders on light and medium days to the heavy.

@malleus' chart, a couple of message up, has this right. A week of 3 ladders, a week of 4 ladders, then 11 weeks of 5 ladders.

-S-

That was how I read it, but starting with 3 ladders makes sense across the board. Glad we have forums like this.

My memory of the book is that once you do 3 x 1-2-3, you can work up to more every workout until your reach 5 x 1-2-3, at which the ladder progression starts in earnest. E.g.

3 x 1-2-3,
3 x 1-2-3 + 1 x 1-2 + 1 x 1
4 x 1-2-3
4 x 1-2-3 + 1 x 1-2
5 x 1-2-3 - that's your first heavy day

IOW, take whatever time you need, or don't need, to get up to 5 x 1-2-3. You're starting with a weight we know you can do 3 x 1-2-3 with.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom