all posts post new thread

Barbell Even Easier Strength on a 3-Day Schedule?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JumpTheGilly

Level 2 Valued Member
Hey everyone! A little background information first: I've recently turned 19, I'm a full-time student with a job that requires late hours, and I train in BJJ twice a week. I've used kettlebells for a good while and have incorporated barbells here and there for a few month-long blocks, but I've sort of hit a wall making progress under the bar. I first used the Jailhouse Strong programs to push my lifts up, and they did along with greatly improving my general fitness, but it induces too much fatigue and soreness to work with the busier schedule I have now. I don't want my strength training to interfere with other aspects of my life, so the Easy Strength method appears to work best. I read the book, and I was interested in Dan John's Even Easier Strength section, and his article (which I've tagged below). It seems to revolve around a five day a week training schedule, or more, and I'm wondering if it would still be possible to make significant progress on a three day a week schedule so I can keep training BJJ and balance it with school and work. I've also seen a lot of conflicting information about squats and whether to include them or not in an Easy Strength-style program, so I'm hoping to understand that a bit more. Does anyone with experience in Easy Strength methods have advice? Thank you!

Even Easier Strength

Pavel has sometimes recommended doing PTTP 2-3x per week to people in similar situations, so I guess it should work with EES, too.

Is there a specific reason for you to specifically want to do Dan Johns variant? I am asking because the shorter Text of the Easy strength program that Pavel describes beforehand often gets lost. Since it is meant for about 3 days if I remember it right - maybe it would be a better fit?

Is there a specific reason for you to specifically want to do Dan Johns variant? I am asking because the shorter Text of the Easy strength program that Pavel describes beforehand often gets lost. Since it is meant for about 3 days if I remember it right - maybe it would be a better fit?
Yeah, that is true that it may work better schedule-wise. I think the percentage of 1 RM range in Dan John's program (40-80% or so) as opposed to the 80-95% range described by Pavel in the 10 Rules of Thumb, and Dan John's inclusion of loaded carries is what drew me to the variant. I think that specific program may give me more wiggle room in how much weight I put on the bar depending on how I'm feeling that day, which could be very beneficial considering my situation. There isn't a reason why I shouldn't try both though. Thank you for your time and feedback!

I often tinker with the frequency of programs due to recovery issues. If the goal is strength, adjusting frequency while maintaining overall volume is usually okay for results but probably won't be as effective as the original program. If the goal is hypertrophy, I often take weekly programs and stretch them over nine days by adding rest days. Usually I don't notice much if any difference at all. Good luck!

I often tinker with the frequency of programs due to recovery issues. If the goal is strength, adjusting frequency while maintaining overall volume is usually okay for results but probably won't be as effective as the original program. If the goal is hypertrophy, I often take weekly programs and stretch them over nine days by adding rest days. Usually I don't notice much if any difference at all. Good luck!
I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom