all posts post new thread

Barbell Even Easier Strength rest periods

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

KIWI5

Level 4 Valued Member
Just started EES, my first thought after the first session was.....that was easy. So i may be on the right track. The whole session took 38 minutes, excluding 3 minutes on the bike afterwards. I did no ramp up sets, but I will do a barbell only set of 10 before the Zercher Squat and Incline Bench tonight. That will add another two minutes. I went with 2 minutes rest between sets....which is the minimum for strength training I believe.....what rest periods do you recommend? On the singles day I may push the rest up...? 39 sessions to go...

Rest periods: Don't time them. Rest as much as needed so the next set is flawless. EES/40days use light weights so these wonwo be long.

Warm up/ramp sets: None. Again, light weights, no need to ramp to. Just do your usuall general warm up/movement prep.

Excellent- thanks for that, so I will use the same technique as I did during 'Dry Fighting Weight'- I did time myself one session and I usually felt ready to go around the 90 second mark. Should be interesting to see my overall time today- I imagine I will be closer to 30 minutes.

Just read an old Dan John thread where his EES sessions were 20 minutes.....Max! Wow, that's really fast. His longest session is 10 minutes faster than my fastest proposed time. I don't think I want to go any faster than 30 minutes.

From Easy Strength, kindle location 2096
  • Lighter weights, 40% to 80%
  • Usually stopping the set very far from failure (e.g., 10 reps with 50%)
  • Increased frequency, up to five times a week
  • Allowing higher reps, up to 10
  • Allowing very short rest periods
As long as you remeber the first 2 points, the rest of them are easy to handle. When I did EES I startedst the cycle with too many lifts above 70%... Keep it conseravtive and push one in a while when you feel ready (should be around once everyday 2 weeks)

DJ doesn't explain much more than "when ready" for ES. Since load and volume are both pretty low, you shouldn't need much. He has also suggested, and I've done recently, is to alternate exercises kinda like a circuit. It saves a little time. ES is a more intuitive experience where you go by feel. The key is the high frequency. Having to go every day seems to help select the right weights and rest. Things settle in over time.

I've already taken some weight off the Zercher Squat and Deadlift and I'm in the sweet spot now. The circuit approach is interesting...but that means more plate swapping so might get annoying, at least with my selected lifts. Looks like 35 minutes is going to be the average length of sessions- I'm happy with that, about half my usual session length.

Superset is what I did, not a full circuit. I did a set of an upper body move, then straight to a lower body move. Repeat for another set, then do the same for the second pairing. With my exercise choices, not much shuffling and it kept me moving.

I read somewhere, if the set was easy 90sec, if it was hard 3min, and if it was unsuccessful 5min. It wasn't for the easy strength program but I still liked the template.

I kept a close eye on the stopwatch- I was ready to go after 90 seconds on all but Zercher Squat- so I will take off another 2.5kg on this lift. After 3 days my first move to show measurable improvement is the Wheel of Death (ab wheel rollout)- my set of 5 last night was damn close to horizontal and felt powerful. I really wanted to go another set or 2, but Dan John won't let me.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom