all posts post new thread

Forum Business Everything You Always Wanted to Know but Were Afraid To Ask About How To Use the Forum

Problems, Questions, Suggestions
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
I will try to post tips here on how to use the forum from time to time. Today's Trifecta:

- You can Report spam as soon as you see it. There is a Report button shown in each and every post on the forum. If you think it's Spam, click on Report. It will ask you for a reason which you may leave blank if you think it's obvious. And then one of us staff folks will take care of getting it off the forum asap.

- You can "like" any post that you, well, like. It makes the poster feel good and tells others this is worth reading.

- You can adjust the time zone in your profile to match your actual time zone.

-S-

- We have Private/Personal Messaging here - click on Inbox and enjoy. You can also click on the name of anyone who has posted here and you'll have an option to Start a Conversation with them - that is our PM functionality. It's similar to, e.g., sending someone a message on Facebook.

-S-

You can Watch a Thread that interests you and/or Watch an entire forum. There are several options - explore and select what works best for you.

-S-

Hi Steve, hope you don't mind if I ask a question. I joined before the forum reboot, and had a separate alias aside from my actual name (I used Paul Ramon - lame tribute to Paul McCartney who used that alias...) Anyway, in the past there seemed to be an option in the preferences section on which name to use, but I can't find it anywhere now. I'd like to use my real name instead of my alias. Is this possible? Thanks.

@Paul Ramon, if you give me the exact spelling of both your current user name and your desired user name, I can make that change easily for you. I really just need the new one since you're pm'ing me from the current one.

-S-

@Paul Ramon please PM me to continue the conversation. I replied initially from my phone and didn't realize this was a forum message - PM is better for this sort of thing.

Thanks.

-S-

You can post things associated with you, e.g., you'll be away, etc. I don't use it so I don't really know. Profile updates used to show up on the side, near where it lists who's online, but I removed that.

-S-

In my signature, I have a link to my log. How do I change the url to the logs actual name?

@Stefan Olsson, I have fixed this for you - as long as you don't change the formatting, you can edit it yourself, e.g., you might want to include "My log" in the words of the URL rather than before.

Hope this is helpful, be careful with the formatting, and let me know if you need anything else.

-S-

Hi Steve!I have a question.
In the right corner of my log i have a small icon, a pair of glasses.How do i take ém away?I think i did some changes when i first joined this forum.Or what does it stand for?

I think you're talking about looking at the Training Log forum, where one sees a list of all the log threads, and you are seeing a pair of glasses to the right side of the line that represents your own training log.

Those glasses mean you are "watching" a thread. (A pair of glasses indicates you're watching something - get it?)

Watching a thread means you will be notified, in the manner you've specified in your personal settings, when activity takes place in the thread being watched. I believe that, by default, you "watch" any thread you started. You can also choose to automatically "watch" threads in which you participate, and also choose to watch and entire forum.

If you go into the thread, near the top, right you will find tools to change these settings if you wish, including something you can click on that says "Unwatch Thread" - but I recommend you continue to watch your own log thread so that you'll be notified when someone other than you posts on your thread.

Does that answer your question?

-S-

Hi Steve - I am unable to link my WP Blog ID with my current login - I changed the password and can't remember the old one...
My user name is Johnny Bird.

@MattM, I don't know. I know there is a trophy system and if you get enough points, you get a trophy, but I have no idea what you do to acquire points.

I will ask and report back.

-S-

@MattM, I have your answer.

Our forum software has several features on top of just posting and reading messages. One the most people are familiar with is the ability to Like a post.

Another feature is Trophies. Trophies are highly configurable - we current run the default configuration that came with our forum software. If you do whatever is configured to earn a particular trophy, you are awarded the number of points associated with that trophy.

I will post a list of them later today when I'm at a real computer and not on my phone.

-S-

I'm happy to listen to opinions on the system here - what's below is the default and what we're using. The results can be seen here: http://www.strongfirst.com/community/members/?type=points

Trophies:
  1. First Message = 1 point
  2. Somebody Likes You (first Like) = 2 points
  3. Keeps Coming Back (> 30 posts) = 5 points
  4. Can't Stop (> 100 posts) = 10 points
  5. I Like It A Lot (> 25 Likes) = 10 points
  6. Seriously Likable (> 100 Likes) = 15 points
  7. Addicted (> 1000 posts) = 20 points
  8. Can't Get Enough Of Your Stuff (> 250 Likes) = 20 points
  9. I Love It (> 500 Likes) = 30 points
The maximum amount of points one can earn is 113.

@Anna C and me both have 113, @Pavel Macek has 93, and @aciampa has 83.

-S-

I'm happy to listen to opinions on the system here - what's below is the default and what we're using. The results can be seen here: http://www.strongfirst.com/community/members/?type=points

Trophies:
  1. First Message = 1 point
  2. Somebody Likes You (first Like) = 2 points
  3. Keeps Coming Back (> 30 posts) = 5 points
  4. Can't Stop (> 100 posts) = 10 points
  5. I Like It A Lot (> 25 Likes) = 10 points
  6. Seriously Likable (> 100 Likes) = 15 points
  7. Addicted (> 1000 posts) = 20 points
  8. Can't Get Enough Of Your Stuff (> 250 Likes) = 20 points
  9. I Love It (> 500 Likes) = 30 points
The maximum amount of points one can earn is 113.

@Anna C and me both have 113, @Pavel Macek has 93, and @aciampa has 83.

-S-

Isn't "everyone a winner" these days?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom