all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Exercise for blood glucose?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

the hansenator

Level 6 Valued Member
I had a biometric screening done for insurance at my work and was disturbed to find that my blood glucose levels are too high. It's just a little above the recommended range but up from last year.

I know this isn't the place for medical advice but is there a "best" type of exercise for controlling glucose levels? I did some searching online but most of what I could find seems related to diabetes patients.

I haven't been as active as I usually am. Foot problems have limited the amount of walking or running I can do so I'm trying to find things I am able to do. Is there a particular type of swing workout that would be a best fit? How about kicking the heavy bag?

Thanks

I'm a type 1 diabetic on insulin so have a different angle on this - your blood sugar level is predominantly diet based as all carbs increase your blood sugar, protein and fat also do but it takes a lot longer and not such a dramatic effect (i.e. carbs - within 20mins my blood sugar rises, protein/fats - converted to sugar via gluconeogenesis but it takes 2-3 hours for my blood sugar to rise). Also your bodies ability to produce insulin and/or use that insulin can have an effect on your blood sugar level - basically go see your doctor to figure out what's happening.

In terms of exercise, low rep strength moves and aerobic (HR less than 180 - age) work don't raise my blood sugar at all but it increases my insulin sensitivity. If I exercise and then eat carbs I need to take a lower dose of insulin than if I didn't. Any exercises using the glycolytic system (snatch test, high intensity swings etc) raise my blood sugar immensely as my body dumps a ton of sugar into my blood.

hansenator,

Keep this in context... what is a little high? Is there a Dr's concern somewhere, or are you "self-diagnosing"? Have you had a follow up test? Was the test performed in the morning, were you fasted... no black coffee? Do you have other symptoms... overweight (es; visceral bodyfat), hypertension, etc. Do you eat a crappy diet? Stress levels? Age? Family history? Etc.

It would be nice to have fasted blood sugar data from IF followers. My fasting blood sugar isn't as low as it used to be, but fasting is typically associated with low blood sugar and the low, slow feeling that goes along with that.

-S-

Thanks for the replies.

I just turned 46. Father has had a couple of heart attacks and grandmother had diabetes.

This is from a screening we had at my work for insurance. It was a morning appointment, fasted, and no black coffee. The number was only a little high, 105, but that's up from 99 last year and 94 the year before. I also got red flags for blood pressure of 120/67 and BMI of 25.6 both of which have also increased since last year and the year before. LDLs have also gone up each year but at 103 are listed as being in the safe range. This is the first time I've gotten red flags. Looking over the last three years, the direction it seems to be going concerns me and I'd like to get on top of it before it continues.

I haven't talked to the doctor yet but plan to bring it up next time I see her. I know my diet and activity level ain't what it used to be so I thought I'd start with those. Hopefully I can show an improvement on follow up tests.

Yes, I suppose so. My limbs are pretty lean and when I look down I can see my gut sticking out. It's not enough that you really see it when I'm dressed. I just measured my waist and got 36 inches at a height of 6'1" if that helps.

Assuming all else is ok, exercise for a positive hormonal environment, increased glucose use, and aerobic function. Just swing. Do some presses or get ups to round out your plan. 3x/wk; 10-20min each.

The nutrition front is probably more important than exercise, in your case. Reduce carbs down to maintenance levels. Cut the processed crap (this equates to most foodstuff); don't drink any calories. Cook your own food. Flavor for variety. Take olive oil showers.

Use exercise to supplement your efforts in the kitchen, not replace them.

You're only 46.... a very long time to go. "WYAOYLD"

Thanks!

I'm working on the diet. The family has been a bad influence. I'll just have to explain my concerns and do what I need to do.

The exercise part sounds pretty straightforward. I kind of suspected so but it's reassuring to hear it from someone more knowledgeable than myself.

On the swings, does the programming make much difference? I was kind of following the S&S guidlines but was also reading the book from Bud Jeffries where he describes the benefits of training with much higher volume.

I'll footstomp this again... diet should be your number 1 focus and energy routing. Just "check the box" with exercise, until your health shows signs of improvement. For now, stay with S&S for it's simplicity and lack of needing to think. Just do.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom